Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Excellent review Jack. I value your experienced reviews. Thanks for sharing. Additionally, nice to see you back in action on this thread.

In reflecting on the previous thoughts I am struck by my belief tastes, smooth whiskeys, are not wrong. Individualistic is the word that comes to mind this evening. It happens that I recall that I enjoyed the smooth nature of this whiskey. This week I will have to sample some of the Green Spot to remind myself of the taste. Tuesday sounds like a perfect day for Green Spot. I may have caused a ripple this past year when I posted on this thread that I was enjoying Yamazaki 12, Habiki and perhaps even the blended Red Breast. Turns out, to me, they are very tasty. Being a rookie whiskey fellow, I do not have many requirements other than taste.

It has been my more inexperienced taste that allows me to say, each day demands a different taste. Some days nothing beats a dram of a peaty Laphroaig single malt. Today I just desire a smooth whiskey. I have a small whiskey selection, 8 different bottles, and imagine that my 1st world decision is what kind of taste to sample today. Days matter.

Via this thread, and others I have become aware of many whiskeys that I would not have considered when shopping the shelves at my local liquor store. I have to say I have only picked a couple "wrong" for me whiskeys.

I have to reflect that the above longish narrative, is the voice from my tired body and mind.

Home this evening after speaking to staff and coaches about internal business procedures needed to re-open under the current pandemic I finished my morning coffee and headed down to the dock to re-energize sipping a gose beer (brewed by local Omni Brewing).

i-CjPwWst-M.jpg

I will make opportunity to Green Spot it this week. I have to check out my memory.

Cheers, Eric -
Nothing wrong with a smooth whiskey, I just like a bit more complexity to its taste. Just like Canadian & Rye whiskeys, Irish whiskeys are not known for that but I was hoping for more complexity as Irish whiskeys have moved more to the premiums like Single Grains, Single Malts, Single Pot Stills, Non Chill Filtered, etc. But I just don't get a lot of complex flavors from this one. It will probably keep me from trying Teeling Single Pot Still Whiskey. I like Teeling Single Grain & the jury is still out on whether their Single Malt will earn a spot in my cabinet.

Instead of each day demanding a different tasting whiskey I would modify that to mean each situation. There's a reason why a good peaty Single Malt Scotch Whisky always pairs well with a thick beef steak, before one or after one; a cold Pilsner or IPA pairs well at a BBQ instead of a chocolate or sour; and when I think of a digestif I think more along the lines of a cordial. And a shooter Bourbon whiskey when I'm not looking to sit & sip. But I drink everything neat & straight, & I suppose the rules change if you drink mixed cocktails.

Good luck on reopening, I'm sure that takes a lot of work & coordination. One of the groups I'm involved in signed a seasonal lease to display artifacts we own individually & collectively in a room in a small historical museum. Originally set to open mid March it was pushed to May 1st, then again to May 23rd. I'm thinking the opportunity for this to be a fundraiser has been lost & we could probably get out of the lease. Others feel differently, so we shall see how things turn out.

My wife and I started a family tradition on our return from Scotland of starting the day with a splash of whisky in our morning coffee. It has morphed a bit into a pandemic practice......I dress for breakfast by placing a hat on my head but leaving on the PJ's and we have switched from our good whisky to a larger splash of Southern Comfort in our morning coffee. We figure we need to save the good whisky for the afternoon/evening without diluting it with coffee.

My wife and I started a family tradition on our return from Scotland of starting the day with a splash of whisky in our morning coffee. It has morphed a bit into a pandemic practice......I dress for breakfast by placing a hat on my head but leaving on the PJ's and we have switched from our good whisky to a larger splash of Southern Comfort in our morning coffee. We figure we need to save the good whisky for the afternoon/evening without diluting it with coffee.
Sounds good to me

This Dunderry (Montgomery ward) estimated to be of The 1930s. I doubt quite as early as Prohibition era. But it had me thinking of prohibition anyway and had me reaching for the bottle of my father-in-law’s home brew “bourbon”.
89E324D5-7928-4CE5-8BCB-832209909166.jpeg

cheers. to you all and cheers to Grandpa Moore’s home made whiskeys. Whether They be from the mountains of Tennessee or a condo an Margate.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cheers. Evening dinner I sipped a Founders All Day IPA.

i-SMxfP9z-M.jpg

Last evening I sampled a triad of whiskeys.

i-DSqv9s7-M.jpg

After dinner (grill roasted chicken, asparagus and steamed rice) the day's activity was reviewed with my wife over a wee bit of MaCallan 12. In my mind it has a sweeter taste. The sherry cask gives a distinct flavor. We came to the supposition that the sherry hints told my mind it was sweeter. My wife did not taste sweet.

We shared more time in the last of the sunlight sipping a wee bit of Laphroig Quarter Cask. We enjoyed the bolder taste. It seemed right to be next after MaCallan 12. Smooth, but bold musty smoke. When my wife was starting med school on occasion she would sneak a cigarette. She said the smell/taste reminds her of those moments. She has not smoked for over 30 years, but the smell memory is clear for her.

I took a small taste of the Green Spot down to the dock with the dog. I was very glad that I drank some water before walking the glass down. I needed to clean my mouth to enjoy the "apple hint" smell and first taste. I was tasted malt as I finished the last of the whiskey. Smooth whiskey that would have been easy to pour another. I would be stretching to find complexity to this whiskey. Not simple, but not complex. Just enjoyable.

i-xg6Ddst-M.jpg

Fun to share with my wife this evening.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Results of today's elixer run:

View attachment 237051

View attachment 237052

View attachment 237053

Wood Hats Aged Blue Corn Bourbon Whiskey

Aberlour 12 Speyside Double Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Maestro Dobel Anejo Tequila

With a Resistol XDoubleX OR clone.

View attachment 237054

View attachment 237055

Tubthumping is just a song that I use on a playlist for running. What a great song. It is all I can do to not sing the lyrics when I am out running. Not that is Las Vegas shopping!

Jack you have hunted, got the game and brought it home. You da man! Connemara Original Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey is a whiskey that I am not familiar with. I googled the single Malt for more info. I have qued Whiskey.com and the Whiskey Vault vids to play on my walkabout this evening. I may learn something!

Aberlour 12 Speyside Double Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky I read that it sips "spicy but traditionally light." This is exactly why I have troubles with written reviews - spicy, but light. It reads puzzling. I guess I will just have to stop putting anything but general stock in written/video reviews and purchase to sample them at my own house.

Cheers, Eric -

Tubthumping is just a song that I use on a playlist for running. What a great song. It is all I can do to not sing the lyrics when I am out running. Not that is Las Vegas shopping!

Jack you have hunted, got the game and brought it home. You da man! Connemara Original Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey is a whiskey that I am not familiar with. I googled the single Malt for more info. I have qued Whiskey.com and the Whiskey Vault vids to play on my walkabout this evening. I may learn something!

Aberlour 12 Speyside Double Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky I read that it sips "spicy but traditionally light." This is exactly why I have troubles with written reviews - spicy, but light. It reads puzzling. I guess I will just have to stop putting anything but general stock in written/video reviews and purchase to sample them at my own house.

Cheers, Eric -
Good morning all!

Connemara Original Peated is hard to get. I think it's probably the typical scenario; small distillery with not a lot of volume, most of which is bought up by large distilleries owned by the big drink companies to use in their blended whiskeys. The Original Peated sold out here before St. Patrick's Day & has just now come back in stock. They distill a couple of others but the Original Peated is best; very Scotch like.

Aberlour 12 Double Cask is aged in Bourbon hogs head casks & Oloroso Sherry casks, & is marketed to compete with Balvenie 12 DoubleWood. I personally would give a slight edge to the Balvenie. The Aberlour Distillery series marked as such, is supposed to have some older Whisky added than what the age statement says, from a few casks previously passed over. Some say the Distillery series 12 is quite good, others say it's not worth the price difference. I guess I'll see.

Aberlour 16 Double Cask is among my favorites, & 18 Double Cask for special occasions. And I always buy Aberlour A'bunadh when I find it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
"Guinness for strength."

i-4vLN4rx-M.jpg

i-vjCVWZJ-S.jpg

(The above is one of John Gilroy works. Guinness employed London creative agency S.H. Benson. Illustrator John Gilroy was given the account. To ensure that it would be appealing to the common man, Benson launched its “Guinness for Strength” campaign, whose most famous image is the 1934 Gilroy illustration of a muscular workman effortlessly balancing an enormous steel girder on one arm and his head.)

Cheers, Eric -

"Guinness for strength."

i-4vLN4rx-M.jpg

i-vjCVWZJ-S.jpg

(The above is one of John Gilroy works. Guinness employed London creative agency S.H. Benson. Illustrator John Gilroy was given the account. To ensure that it would be appealing to the common man, Benson launched its “Guinness for Strength” campaign, whose most famous image is the 1934 Gilroy illustration of a muscular workman effortlessly balancing an enormous steel girder on one arm and his head.)

Cheers, Eric -
That’ll do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto