Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Check these out!

Sought after book-style decanters from Springbank Single Malt Whisky, Campbeltown, Volumes 1 thru 4:

Strength: 43%
Bottle Size: 4x 75cl
Distillery / Blender: Springbank
Region: Campbeltown

Vol 1 - 8 Years Old
Vol II - 10 Years Old
Vol III - 12 Years Old
Vol IV - 15 Years Old

View attachment 286467

View attachment 286472

View attachment 286470

View attachment 286471

View attachment 286469 View attachment 286468

That "bottling" and idea is clever. Clever, but checking the price and availability show me it is not in my cards. But I really like the idea.

Has anyone sampled this Springbank?

Today it is the Stetson #1 and Vortex. A Russian Imperial stout from Kern River Brewing Co. This is aged in Bourbon barrels with cacao and dark cherry. It is 11% abv View attachment 286677 View attachment 286678 View attachment 286678 and very rich. Tastes like chocolate covered cherrys with borbon and coffee.

Desert Dog; Man I have to get with it. I was inspired last evening to have a Russian Imperial Stout. I went to the beer refrigerator and found none. I will remedey this and keep your Kern experience in mind. Cooler weather has me really enjoying these heavier beers.

This is from Thanksgiving and I apologize for the orange table cloth. Ever since reading Eric's reviews I have been looking for breakfast stout. I finally found some in Kernville. I have a new favorite stout! The hop bitterness compliments the roasted barley. A rather hoppy stout which I like. My wife and sister like the chocolate notes. Thaks Eric! View attachment 286688

Glad it met your standards sir.

Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I enjoyed a dry stout, Wolfhound Stout, Great Lakes Brewing. I was confused initially on several fronts: (1) Great Lakes Brewing is in Cleveland , OH. I am biased I thought it would be from a northern state brewery (2) Pouring the foam was several inches, before it settled (3) Smooth and very creamy finish. My bias is my experience with Guinness Extra Stout and it's easily available versions. All said it was a dry stout, creamy/smooth, easy drinkable 4.8% ABV beer.

i-mZTtpcz-M.jpg

Later last evening I sipped a Founders KBS. Now this bourbon, coffee stout met all my taste expectations and was satisfying to dink out on the deck in the warmer than usual weather.

Best, Eric -

That "bottling" and idea is clever. Clever, but checking the price and availability show me it is not in my cards. But I really like the idea.
The book decanters are no longer available, & there are collectors trying to put together unopened sets of the 4. Thus the price.

Springbank is a Campbelltown. There are only 3 distilleries on Campbelltown & they are all triple filtered so generally mild Peat, salty & oily.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
There's a song called Sittin' Up Drinkin' With Robert E. Lee, well I did it with Mark Twain. But he got bombed early & didn't tell many of his stories.

View attachment 286865

View attachment 286866

View attachment 286864

''Tis the season for a derby so I broke out my Keith Bros.

View attachment 286860

View attachment 286861

View attachment 286862

View attachment 286863

And wore it on an early morning run for a Scooter's Shooter.

View attachment 286868

Mark Twain's got some doozy quotes but I recall my father saying this one when he and my mother would sit in the evening and have a whiskey soda - “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”

You wear the bowler Jack. Excellent.

Cheers to your shooter this morning.

Mark Twain's got some doozy quotes but I recall my father saying this one when he and my mother would sit in the evening and have a whiskey soda - “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”

You wear the bowler Jack. Excellent.

Cheers to your shooter this morning.
One of my favorites that I used as my motivator & quoted frequently in my working career is:

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded." -- Mark Twain

Thanks for the compliment, Eric!

Rumad

One Too Many
My favorite, and I was just explaining it to my wife and daughter yesterday, is “If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first.”
Got something you don’t want to do but it’s your job to do it? Shut up and do it. #GEDDERDUN

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
458AA16E-21DD-4E2C-9607-1DCB7F4D8411-M.jpg

I spent several hours burning some "messy" limbs in the upper yard fire pit this afternoon. I wore a ball cap as I got smokey and filthy. A change of clothes and I enjoyed a Founders All Dap IPA. The sun is fading and I have poured a cordial glass of Speyburn 10. A gentle single malt that has only a hint of peat. Subtle and perfect for this moment.

Cheers, Eric -

My favorite, and I was just explaining it to my wife and daughter yesterday, is “If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first.”
Got something you don’t want to do but it’s your job to do it? Shut up and do it. #GEDDERDUN
Among many others... one I try to live by.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

I hope my gift is in that pile LOL!!
A bit of history, the Holladay Distillery goes back to 1856 & Ben Holladay, who in 1849 had established The Holladay Stageline Co, & The Holladay Wagon Train Co running West on the Overland Trail. Somewhere thru the yrs the Holladay Distillery name came under the control of McCormick's Distillery & the name wasn't used for a long time. McCormick's reintroduced the Holladay name again just a few yrs ago.

Ben Holladay became known thru history as the Stagecoach King, & along with his family is buried here.

Another afternoon spent out under my Keith Bros Derby. And now enjoying doubles of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Straight Kentucky Bourbon in a pre-1920's, pre-prohibition shot glass from Old Joe Perkins Whiskey from the Perkins & Manning Distilling Company of Owensboro, KY.

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg

IMG_9348.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

This pic of an Old Joe Perkins tin sign is from an auction catalog about a yr ago. Faded across the top it says Old Joe Perkins Whiskey & if you enlarge the dog you can see she carries a bottle of Old Joe Perkins with a soft mouth.

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy