Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Mm25

One Too Many
Unexpectedly and most fortuitously, my wonderful wife brought home the BIB Cedar Ridge I have been looking for! A small splash of water opens it up perfectly. Threw in an excellent quality Whippet I need to wear more.
C1D3D7D8-535F-4A8A-8685-94000EB3B444.jpeg

5d5d6d55-a83f-4a48-89e5-dd7df54dbff2-jpeg.354139

Perry, I had to study this first pic just a bit. I thought I saw snow outside the window with green leaves on the trees, & snow on the brim of your hat. Took me a min to put it all together last night when my cognitive skills were somewhat diminished.
Don't feel bad. My cognitive skills were impaired after a dram or two of Bird Dog.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Home prior to 8:00pm. Cheers! I galavanted around the yard and beach sipping a Surley Multiverse. A Summer 2021 Hazy IPA. Hops and bitter tangerine/grapefruit/orange with some pine finish. A good summer beer. Not great, but good. Worth finishing the 6 cans that are marked brewed and bottled in May'21 and not sending some out to friends, family and beer friends. It was an expensive Summer beer and I would not pick it up again.

The summer beer market has oodles of dynamite options this 2021 season, IMO, to choose from.

i-qm4MK6S-M.jpg

Ahhh, Monday Summer evenings! Glorious. Unfortunately the Minnesota State Birds, mosquitoes are out in force. Some "bug dope" on my legs and arms I should be able to enjoy outside until 10:00-ish.

Later I will open a bottle of whiskey, I think. My wife should be home shortly and I will check to see if she will join me.

Cheers to all, Eric -

Home prior to 8:00pm. Cheers! I galavanted around the yard and beach sipping a Surley Multiverse. A Summer 2021 Hazy IPA. Hops and bitter tangerine/grapefruit/orange with some pine finish. A good summer beer. Not great, but good. Worth finishing the 6 cans that are marked brewed and bottled in May'21 and not sending some out to friends, family and beer friends. It was an expensive Summer beer and I would not pick it up again.

The summer beer market has oodles of dynamite options this 2021 season, IMO, to choose from.

i-qm4MK6S-M.jpg

Ahhh, Monday Summer evenings! Glorious. Unfortunately the Minnesota State Birds, mosquitoes are out in force. Some "bug dope" on my legs and arms I should be able to enjoy outside until 10:00-ish.

Later I will open a bottle of whiskey, I think. My wife should be home shortly and I will check to see if she will join me.

Cheers to all, Eric -
Beer and whiskey, mighty risky. Seriously though, hope you enjoyed it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I opened the bottle of Arberlour Casg Annamh. Apologies But time ran out as I needed sleep before sharing the new bottle evening. I paired the dram with corn, potato, chicken, bean and pepper soup. The semi-hot and spicy soup and the dram was truly tasty.

"Rare cask" whiskey from Arberlour means that the whiskey has aged in a combination of American Oak and sherry barrels. No age statement for this 48% abv whiskey. The top of the bottle container is marked "Let The Deed Show."

i-nkDntcS-M.jpg

i-f5mcV3T-M.jpg

i-GgdKCmw-M.jpg

i-wJCRnnr-M.jpg

From opening the bottle to the pour the whiskey smells like orchard fruit with solid sherry and malted notes. The taste is not a sherry bomb, nor hot and spicy. For no doubt a younger aged whiskey it is surprisingly complex and yet smooth and tasty. This is a whiskey that is easy to smell and easy in the mouth. I really like the taste and look forward to sipping drams through out the bottles depth.

Cheers, Eric -

gwold

New in Town
Yesterday I opened the bottle of Arberlour Casg Annamh. Apologies But time ran out as I needed sleep before sharing the new bottle evening. I paired the dram with corn, potato, chicken, bean and pepper soup. The semi-hot and spicy soup and the dram was truly tasty.

i-nkDntcS-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

That Scotch and the soup both look great. I'd like to see more of the hat, too!

Full disclosure, I'm in process of designing a Panama now, and in search of ideas.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Beer and whisky dominate this thread, but I’m also a wine lover. I love the New Zealand whites and the Bordeaux style reds that are predominant in NZ & Australia. Since coming to Japan, I have learnt to enjoy Spanish, Italian and, more recently, American wines.
Yesterday, we took advantage of an early evening break in the weather to enjoy yakiniku (Japanese style Korean barbecue, if that makes sense) on the electric grill. We opened a bottle of Jorio Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, my first time trying this grape. Quite fruit forward, but dry with medium tannins and a bit of oak. Etsuko and I both enjoyed it and may well purchase again
The hat is my Akubra Cattleman.
C347258E-33A7-4602-BB6B-9CDDDB70D8A5.jpeg
8C4DA7A8-2990-4352-BA16-0BC5D6FB33C8.jpeg
E64B987D-090E-4418-A86D-8E81D370E59A.jpeg

New Zealand lamb is not a staple of yakiniku, but I couldn’t resist!
62A3DA93-3660-4DE7-857A-898B74005C36.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
Earlier in the day, it was my Capricorn for the wet weather for Chardonnay of little note and (very noteworthy) Thai food.
4DCFFD06-1D73-416D-86BC-5C98B89FA20B.jpeg

Green curry for me and pad Thai for Etsuko. I asked for the curry extra hot, as is my wont. The waitress explained that they have levels from one up to three. I immediately ordered a five. Confused, the waitress started to explain again. Fortunately the owner was there. She knows me and my tastes and quickly got it organised!
58AAF252-C762-4992-AD2D-F02273879C85.jpeg

"Rare cask" whiskey from Arberlour means that the whiskey has aged in a combination of American Oak and sherry barrels. No age statement for this 48% abv whiskey. The top of the bottle container is marked "Let The Deed Show."

i-nkDntcS-M.jpg

i-f5mcV3T-M.jpg

i-GgdKCmw-M.jpg

i-wJCRnnr-M.jpg

From opening the bottle to the pour the whiskey smells like orchard fruit with solid sherry and malted notes. The taste is not a sherry bomb, nor hot and spicy. For no doubt a younger aged whiskey it is surprisingly complex and yet smooth and tasty. This is a whiskey that is easy to smell and easy in the mouth. I really like the taste and look forward to sipping drams through out the bottles depth.

Cheers, Eric -
Looks tasty Eric. I don't think I've had Aberlour before. I tend to prefer the Highland and Island malts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner