Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

TGIFHH

IMG_5503.jpeg

Wrapping it up at home with a bottle of Tequila Uno t-1 under a Stetson One-hundred.

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Beer indulgences the past few days have been a new single origin Brazilian Volcanica Coffee, A Founders IPA, Guinness and a Surley pilsner.

i-s7Wkp26-M.jpg

Yesterday the I browned a pork shoulder on the grill in the light rain. Sipping the Founders made the task relaxing. After browning the pork went into a dutch oven for hours of slow roasting. It tuned out excellent. Pulled pork, grilled vegetable lunch and pulled pork and cole slaw sandwiches last night.

i-hhxNMW2-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

At a gathering of friends a wk ago a bottle of Green River Wheated Bourbon showed up & I liked it enough to want to explore it further. The mash bill is 70% corn, 21% wheat, 9% barley distilled to 90 proof & the oak casks in the blend are aged to 4 yrs minimum. Very soft & easy drinking. Butterscotch/caramel & vanilla on both the nose & taste. Maybe toffee. Baking spices & bread, cinnamon & maybe honey on the taste. Lingering cinnamon, cereal & butterscotch/caramel in the aftertaste.

With a Stetson Amon Carter Shady Oak Farm 3X.

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0117.jpeg

Good price point but I prefer Wood Hat Spirits Aged Blue Corn Whiskey. Bottle is horseshoe shaped.

IMG_5643.jpeg

“Apparently her 47 shampoo bottles are fine but I leave 1 empty beer can in the shower and my wife thinks I have a problem." — recently told by a friend.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good evening. I have enjoyed a Surley pilsner beer on a stroll around the property. Excellent beer to assist me during a review of the day. Excellent. I have a work trip starting Thursday and to prep myself I am sipping some whiskey. I have poured a small amount of Ardbeg Ugeadail and then a small amount of Ardbeg Wee Beastie. My pulling these 2 bottles off the whiskey shelf was to enjoy and contrast the different tastes. After a couple small pours of each I can say I like them both.

i-TCCZnVk-M.jpg

The wild untamed and short lived taste of Wee Beastie is very satisfying. The Ardbeg Ugeadail is a true fav. I took advise the advise from Jack and the Whiskey Tribe (Youtube folks) and picked up the "Uge" a couple years ago. I would like to always have a bottle on hand. Tonight is a great opportunity for me to really enjoy the more complex and nuanced taste of this whiskey.

I really enjoy both. I have an un-opened Ardbeg Ten that I should open to make sure it is still good. ;)

Getting better with age, Eric -

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Taking tomorrow (Friday) off to start our anniversary celebrations (27 years).
To start the celebrations, we opened a bottle of Scarabus 10.
IMG_1833.jpeg

Today’s hat is a Knox Flying Cloud.
IMG_1820.jpeg

This is right up there. A beautiful smokey, but not at all harsh whisky.
We bought a bottle of Arran Sherry Cask to celebrate the occasion, though that will be opened at some time in the future.
IMG_1826.jpeg

Our hat choices for the celebrations will be a Borsalino for me (a true standout amongst my collection)…
IMG_1829.jpeg

… and a Maxim for Etsuko.
IMG_1830.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
I took Friday off and we spent the resultant long weekend (over?) indulging in Kobe…
Open Air Brewery.
IMG_0651.jpeg
IMG_0653.jpeg

I’d never heard of a Golden Stout before, but it (on the left) was really good. Quite strong coffee flavours. Etsuko had a Stratosphere Session IPA. I was surprised their Session IPA was 5.5%. Not entirely sure what’s normal, but I’m used to seeing them at 4.5% over here.
IMG_0655.jpeg

I wore my Borsalino. A special hat for the occasion.
IMG_0656.jpeg

I had a second ”pint”. A Big Dreams West Coast IPA.
IMG_0658.jpeg

Back at the hotel, we enjoyed a Chianti
IMG_0687.jpeg

Days two and three to follow…

The Shoe

One Too Many
Saturday’s indulgences.
A visit to Arima and to the local brewery.
IMG_1913.jpeg

A Black Ale for me and a White Ale for Etsuko.
IMG_1911.jpeg

Same Borsalino again.
IMG_1912.jpeg

Later a Minoh Beer Pale Ale for me and Pilsner for Etsuko.
IMG_1914.jpeg

Back at the hotel in the afternoon with some bubbly & strawberries - Etsuko’s favourite.
IMG_1915.jpeg

Then out for a sushi dinner and an evening at Bar Bronx. This was our third or fourth time to visit this bar. The last time was exactly two years ago. We walked in and the bar tender said “Long time, no see!’. It’s great fun visiting a bar where the bartender is such a pro and so knowledgeable. And what a selection!
IMG_1916.jpeg
IMG_1917.jpeg

…and the Japanese whiskey wall.
IMG_1918.jpeg

The Shoe

One Too Many
I agree totally! But I’m afraid it’s a lost profession in the US anyway, with mostly microbreweries, beer bars, & IPA’s.

Happy Anniversary!
Thanks Jack.
This is the only place I’ve found like it in Japan (or anywhere). He really knows his whiskey, has great general knowledge, and just knew when to talk and when to leave us to ourselves. It was a great time.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Back yesterday from work travel to Bettendorf, IA. My collegue and I made time to sample beers.

My first taste of Toppling Goliath Brewing's Psuedo Sue. Excellent. I did pick some up to bring home. The Crawford Brew Kolsch paired well with dinner.

i-xjcxjT2-M.jpg

An Saturday afternoon trip to Five Cities Brewing on the river front found me working a flight of beers.

i-VwhdGwg-M.jpg

The Blueberry Sourman was a standout. Excellent sour beer option.

i-Hcfhd3m-M.jpg

During a visit to Adventurous Brewing I sampled a flight. The Hard Seltzer -Blood Orange Jalepeno (far right) was my choice and I enjoyed a glass after the flight.

i-GBSPHwB-M.jpg

The afternoon trip to the breweries meant we could enjoy a summer and warm time on their outside shaded decks. Truly an excellent afternoon.

After a late dry rub rib dinner I sipped a Big Grove Blackberry Sour. It hit the spot.

i-ZswXBVf-M.jpg

I arrived back home yesterday and continued my beer adventure with sipping a Founders Mortal Bloom and a Lake Town Brewery (clear Lake, IA) Red Zeppplin. Good balance between hops bitterness and the malts sweetness. It is an excellent Red Ale.

i-3t9PcBN-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Back yesterday from work travel to Bettendorf, IA. My collegue and I made time to sample beers.

My first taste of Toppling Goliath Brewing's Psuedo Sue. Excellent. I did pick some up to bring home. The Crawford Brew Kolsch paired well with dinner.

i-xjcxjT2-M.jpg

An Saturday afternoon trip to Five Cities Brewing on the river front found me working a flight of beers.

i-VwhdGwg-M.jpg

The Blueberry Sourman was a standout. Excellent sour beer option.

i-Hcfhd3m-M.jpg

During a visit to Adventurous Brewing I sampled a flight. The Hard Seltzer -Blood Orange Jalepeno (far right) was my choice and I enjoyed a glass after the flight.

i-GBSPHwB-M.jpg

The afternoon trip to the breweries meant we could enjoy a summer and warm time on their outside shaded decks. Truly an excellent afternoon.

After a late dry rub rib dinner I sipped a Big Grove Blackberry Sour. It hit the spot.

i-ZswXBVf-M.jpg

I arrived back home yesterday and continued my beer adventure with sipping a Founders Mortal Bloom and a Lake Town Brewery (clear Lake, IA) Red Zeppplin. Good balance between hops bitterness and the malts sweetness. It is an excellent Red Ale.

i-3t9PcBN-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
A whirlwind of breweries. Red Zeppelin :D A Whole Lotta (beer) Love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner