Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I am whooped and spent some quality time on a walkabout sipping a Surley Drop Drips Hazy IPA. Juicy and Hops in equal measure make for a tasty beverage tonight.

i-3nc94wr-M.jpg

Top of the evening to all, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Home and chilling I was sipping a Dangerous Man Lite Lager. A bit later, I am roasting some vegetables and potatoes for dinner and sipping a dram of Glen Allachie 10 yr. Cask Strength (batch 5).

i-RgsLnDj-M.jpg

This whiskey is chock full of flavor for a 10 year. The smell has chocolate/cherry/leather and a bit of wood. The taste adds a oaky red wine/sherry taste, and spice is prominent. I am thinking it is like a tart fruit taste. I like this whiskey. I added a couple drops of water and the whiskey, IMO, did not make it better. It certainly emphasized the wood or sherry taste. I preferred it without water. The depth of taste in this whiskey was fun to sip tonight.

Cheers, Eric -

20220429_160727.jpg

My new job affords me the opportunity to wear something better than a filthy ball cap, but I still find myself dealing with some pretty dirty situations so I don't wear anything too upscale. This well worn 4X Open Road kept the sun off me today and now that the work is over it makes a fine pairing with some of Texas' finest for a little unwinding. Hope an excellent weekend to you all!

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Happy to be home from work on Saturday afternoon found me pouring a small dram of Benromach Sassicaia (2010). This is a Speyside small independent distiller.

BA9515B2-E96B-4070-8D14-956037D0D45E-M.jpg

The first opening sip of this whiskey had me wondering if this was a good buy. As I have sipped to the shoulder of the bottle, it has changed. The taste of berries, citrus and barley have poped out. I followed the advise of Rallfy,https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg , and added a few drops of water. I got a fancy whiskey pipet gift from my brother in law to add water. It does work and in this whiskey tasting, It made a difference. The sour and ginger along with the intensity of the fruit taste comes alive. This is only a 10 year, but is a great sip today. This whiskey is a challenging taste (water and opened bottle), but is very enjoyable. It was a good buy.

Later in the evening I was scampering about sipping a Bent Paddle Venture Pils, Duluth, MN brewery.

Cheers folks, Eric -

Scooterz

Practically Family
I finished an evening walkabout sipping a Surley Supreme (pilsner).

DSC02504-M.jpg

My wife came home and I am grilling a piece of catfish for a late dinner. We have opened the bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. After tasting this whiskey, the hardest or scariest part of this Ardbeg is pronouncing the name. I did google up the location of the loch of said name that Ardbeg gets its water from. I admit I went on-line to get this correct.

DSC02506-M.jpg

The nose, aromas, are separate but make a whole. The taste morphs from one to another with no one taste demanding more. It overall has a saltwater, smokey, pepper and at the end some cherry or raisin.

I did add some drops of water and it did absolutely change the mouth taste. With water I could discern some sweet fruit (orange peel). The water made the dram very easily drinkable. My wife and I agreed that it tamed the peat and was "better tonight."

A632E1D7-86FB-4156-8240-1BE6BB922212-M.jpg

I like this whiskey. A lot. Better than Ardbeg Ten or Wee Beastie? I do not have an opinion yet. More time and sipping opportunities are needed for a preference.

Cheers folks, Eric -
I was given a bottle by a friend who couldn't handle the peat. I need to try it again. The first couple of times I sampled it, I was reminded of a grilled steak. Don't think I tried adding water. I like it fine but it does have a strong flavor that is a little different. I favor Islay whiskeys with the peat and smoke and saltwater flavors.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 422659
Old resistol thin ribbon and Uigeadail. Water definitely altered the taste a bit. A little less of an edge to a smoother experience.
Glad the water changed the taste. Perhaps it is anticipating the flavor. I, and visitors, have finnished a couple bottles of the Wee Beastie and I have grown to enjoy the taste of that. This Ardbeg has lots going on and is smoother in aroma and taste, IMO. I am a couple drams into the bottle and lots of time and opportunity to make my mind up.

I admit I am a relative novice to whiskeys. My current mindset is to work through the ones I have at home. I should be developing the smell and taste to better discern what I should continue to stock. I am enjoying these discoveries. First world problem is that my shelf has a big variety.

Tip of the brim to you this evening, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This past week and this weekend I have enjoyed some beer and a dram of whiskey.

My collage pic showcases the Founders Agave beer. I like th taste of this beer. It warmed up yesterday and an evening this past week and it tasted grand. Water, Caribou Brazilian coffee and Surley Logic Bomb were tasty.

705FC212-79BC-48C1-95A5-B6DA450BDCE6-M.jpg

DSC02644-M.jpg

Founders Agave, Dangerous Man IPA and Surley Supreme were tasty variety.

D7526635-DA41-4717-9260-70BCDDC20248-M.jpg

Yesterday evening a small dram of Woodford Reserve was a treat.

DSC02642-S.jpg

Cheers folks, Eric -

Just Daniel

One Too Many
VERY nice selection of drinks! Super cool.

Happy to be home from work on Saturday afternoon found me pouring a small dram of Benromach Sassicaia (2010). This is a Speyside small independent distiller.

BA9515B2-E96B-4070-8D14-956037D0D45E-M.jpg

The first opening sip of this whiskey had me wondering if this was a good buy. As I have sipped to the shoulder of the bottle, it has changed. The taste of berries, citrus and barley have poped out. I followed the advise of Rallfy,https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg , and added a few drops of water. I got a fancy whiskey pipet gift from my brother in law to add water. It does work and in this whiskey tasting, It made a difference. The sour and ginger along with the intensity of the fruit taste comes alive. This is only a 10 year, but is a great sip today. This whiskey is a challenging taste (water and opened bottle), but is very enjoyable. It was a good buy.

Later in the evening I was scampering about sipping a Bent Paddle Venture Pils, Duluth, MN brewery.

Cheers folks, Eric -

A toast to General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson who died on this date, May 10, 1863. Jackson appeared to be healing from his left arm amputation, but he died from pneumonia.

IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

"In my opinion Stonewall Jackson was one of the greatest natural military geniuses the world ever saw. I will go even further than that – as a campaigner in the field he never had a superior. In some respects I doubt whether he ever had an equal." -- General Daniel Harvey Hill wrote upon Jackson's death.

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points