Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Spectacles

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Stan said:
That brings me to the contact lens idea. I would never, ever, wear contact lenses. I saw far too many cases of bad things getting under contacts and causing eye issues that would not have occurred in the majority of those cases had the wearer opted for glasses and not contact lenses. Just food for thought.

later!

Stan

On the other hand, because I wear contact lenses I see my optician much more frequently than I did when I only wore glasses, so my eyes are probably in less danger of bad things happening. Of course, people using poor contact lens hygiene are definitely likely to run into problems, but I like that if I am wearing a hat, I don't have to worry about the arms of my glasses being pressed into my head etc.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Due to my absolutely appalling shortsightedness (I can't read the screen of my computer a foot in front of my face without my specs), I've been wearing glasses my whole life. I'd never considered the importance (for want of a better word) of combining glasses with hats.

That said, my glasses are black, rectangular-framed ones which seem to go well with almost anything. When I was younger, I used to wear tortoise-shell glasses almost exclusively...and as a consequence...have grown quite sick of them in my later years...Sometimes I wonder if gold-rimmed glasses would go well with hats? My grandmother once had a pair of gold-rimmed spectacles (where they are now, I've absolutely no idea!) and she looked really good in them (and she was a big hat-wearer).

jwalls

Vendor
HarpPlayerGene said:
5201.jpg
You, Sir, have a twisted sense of humor!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Specs came first for me. Then the hat craze came on. Black, rectangular specs over here, too. I'm thinking of getting a nice pair of Pince Nez glasses for every day.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Shangas said:
That said, my glasses are black, rectangular-framed ones which seem to go well with almost anything.

I chose a frame that is as you describe. They look smart, and go with just about as much as you could hope one frame could go with.

I appreciate the contacts recommendations. Unfortunately, an astigmatism is my primary vision problem. As many of you probably know, contacts really aren't as good at handling the correction for an astigmatism as glasses are. Unless you get "hard" contacts, which sound fairly terrifying.

There are laser surgeries and whatnot that could be performed... but I honestly do not care enough to pay money of that sort. I like the idea of having glasses. They are fun.

The utilitarian comments are both true and bizarre (to me). I wholeheartedly agree that utility is the primary function of the spectacles. But with hundreds (and probably thousands) of frame "styles" to choose from, it is beyond obvious that those positioning themselves in the utility only category are hopelessly outnumbered by... everyone else! (Who do care about style. lol )

I am not the sort who is pained over accessories going well with my attire. Unfortunately, the glasses don't care if I care or not. Some things will be enhanced by their presence, others will suffer detrimental visual consequences. (I am honest-to-goodness dead-serious when I tell you that one straw hat in particular looks absolutely horrendous with my glasses on. It is terrifying.:eek: )

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Dewhurst said:
I appreciate the contacts recommendations. Unfortunately, an astigmatism is my primary vision problem. As many of you probably know, contacts really aren't as good at handling the correction for an astigmatism as glasses are. Unless you get "hard" contacts, which sound fairly terrifying.

That's not been my recent experience! When I first started wearing contacts the prescription wasn't nearly as accurate as my glasses, but my current contact lens prescription (from November last year) is a very comfortable, oxygen permeable 2-week disposable designed for correcting astigmatisms. Astigmata. Whatever the plural is. Like you, my astigmatism is the more serious problem with my vision, so I was very pleased to find a contact lens that could sort the problem out!

However, your glasses sound stylish and a very good solution, with or without hats!

Edward

Bartender
I've been wearing glasses since I was ten, and hats of one variety or aother on a regular basis since I was about nineteen.... I know I was put of baseball caps years ago because I considered then to look stupid with my glasses... I was never into the idea of contact lenses - like a lot of folks, the idea of fiddling with my eyes put me off. However, eventually I had to get them: I do a lot of costume stuff (including Rocky Horror shadowcasting), and while I can see just well enough to cope without them, it's a major inconvenience. I also hated that I would be all dressed in a great costume of whatever variety, and then have to 'ruin' it with glasses that were out of place. Since early 2004 I've been using daily disposable contact lenses on and off; saves any hassle of looking after them, and when worn only irregularly they work out very economical. By last year, I had started to wear them a bit more regularly on nights out and so on, as I had grown tired of my contemporary glasses, which didn't quite fit with the vintage look (I'd had those old frames since 2003). When the time came for new glasses, I replaced the frames i had with a couple of pairs of Shuron Ronsir Zyls. Introduced in 1947, these are great for 40s and 50s looks. I actually wear them with everything..... I guess at times when I was particularly concerned with a period look, I would go back to lenses for a night for that. I'll eventually find something in a thirties style too, I think, but these have become my norm now. I have two pairs already lensed up, and two further awaiting it. Since I got these, costume events aside, it's a rare thing indeed when I decide to wear lenses instead of my glasses.

CopyofUploaded22April2010016.jpg

Uploaded22April2010005.jpg

EditedShot-1-1.jpg

FedoraLoungeUnofficialGatheringM-9.jpg

Not so sure that they don't combine with tails to make me look like a bald Eugene Levy, but what the hey.... They work with the hat, and I don't think I'd get taken for being twice my own age any less often without them!

www.shuron.com - still in business, still producing frame designs going back to the 1880s... Best company I ever dealt with. It worked out considerably cheaper for me to buy the frames from them directly than buy them in the UK. They charged me for one pair and sent five of differing styles and sizes to let me try them on, then I was to keep the one that worked, send the others back.... I ordered three more pairs after that. I opted for various reasons to have my lenses done locally, but if you have all the details of your prescription, they do have a lab and can fit them all up in there. Tony Rivers is the guy - outstanding customer service.

FWIW.... my cordovan pair are fitted up with photochromic lenses for sheer convenience (I've done that with most of my glasses since I was sixteen), but they do also do the old-style clip-on front shades thingy for the Ronsirs; I'm thinking of ordering one of those just for the look of it in the Summer....

I've considered laser surgery, and in future I might still go for it; I like the idea of not being so dependent on my glasses. That said, I like my Zyls so much that were I to have it done, I'd probably have them fitted with non-prescirption lenses and still wear them as an accessory... I certainly don't mind wearing my glasses anymore, even on nights out where formerly I'd have sitched to lenses; the lenses now only come out exclusively when I'm gonig to be in a costume with which they do not work: maybe twice since Christmas. :)

Edward

Bartender
And one further thought.....

With old school style frames, you're bound to find something that works with hats.... Bearing in mind how common things like short-sightedness are.... I've often been surprised by just how many folks I know are short-sighted, especially the ladies, due to the frequency of contacts and now laser surgery. Back in the day when those simply were not options, I'm sure short-sightedness was no less common, so there must have been many more people wearing glasses when hats were a 'norm' than there are nowadays... I must have a look at old photos for the frequency of glasses-wearing....

(Though perhaps short-sightedness could be on the rise nowadays, due to the effect of so many of us sitting in front of a VDU all day, every day?)

Hereward

One of the Regulars
I do look forward to our first meeting Edward because I am sure I will pick up numerous style pointers from you. And, when you have great style and taste, all else fades into the background.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Edward, I also have a pair of Shuron Ronsir Zyls, although right now my main pair is the Artcraft Clubman. I recently ordered another pair of Ronsir Zyls, which will become my main pair. Recently, Shuron started offering clip-on sunglasses for them, and they look great, so I'm going to order a pair of those as well.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Edward,

I've had shortsightedness my whole life (been wearing glasses since the age of four!) and it is indeed very common. I don't think it affects my life greatly, though.

Okay I can't drive...but there's not much else I don't think I can't do.

But back to glasses...classic, horn-rimmed glasses (of a tasteful size, of course) are always an option when looking at frames. My grandmother had two or three pairs of HR glasses, along with her gold-rimmed ones (which she wore for formal occasions); all her sets were bifocals. Simple, thin, gold-rimmed glasses are classic and fancy-looking and are discreet to go with any type of vintage clothing and any kind of hat.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Your Weltschauung may be skewed. At an analogous point in my life, She Who At One Time Had To Have Been Obeyed chose my spectacles, my clothes - all raiment except hats. In addition to strong opinions and firm attitudes, Dragon Lady had/has impeccable taste in all things save relationships. My legacy from the situation is awareness of my questionable taste; therefore, when buying non-hunting/camping items pertaining to appearance, I ask women - strangers who appear to be well assembled - to decide what items I buy. Since few, other than children, laugh at me when I pass them on the street, this method appears to be valid, and I recommend it.

Al

One of the Regulars
Lids and Spectacles

Dewhurst said:
I have recently been subjected to horrors. Horrors which no mortal should have to endure. I will explain.....

....Do your glasses exert as much influence over your hat purchases as I envision (nice!) mine exerting over my purchases in the future?

Drewhurst, you present with a most interesting condition. I have worn spectacles all my life and never, not once, have I considered pairing spectacles and hats. I guess if you consider your nose length, face shape and whether your ears are large or small, then you may have something to be horrified about.

If you currently suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Lid Disorder (OCLD), which many of us do; you may just be complicating the illness.

Prognosis: You may be on the verge of Obsessive Compulsive Spectacle Disorder (OCSD), which just may complicate your OCLD illness. It's the overall balance and proportion that you are searching for in selecting your next hat or spectacles.

There is no known cure in the existing literature for the above mentioned illnesses. However, keep it simple, don't stress, be happy. On the other hand, getting a new wife is always an option of last resort.

Respectfully and Sincerely

-Al

Naphtali

Practically Family
Mr E Train said:
My Weltanschauung got skewed after I read an excellent Bildungsroman. Now I no longer enjoy Schadenfreude the way I used to.
Das ist zu Schade. That you no longer obtain the same enjoyment from Schadenfreude pleases me.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Puzzicato said:
Like you, my astigmatism is the more serious problem with my vision, so I was very pleased to find a contact lens that could sort the problem out!

That's great news! I have read that contacts have come a long way in combating an astigmatism. Which is fantastic for people who want contacts rather than glasses. Personally, I think I look a lot more interesting with spectacles on my face. I'll admit, I was kind of excited to wear glasses. Glasses are fun, and I was the final person in my immediate family to need glasses so now I'm part of the action.lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't wear glasses for corrective vision but I do have a serious addiction to sunglasses and have dozens of them in a myriad of shapes, materials and colors (frame and lens). I wear sunglasses virtually every day and on days that I wear a hat there is great attention paid to matching a particular style/color of hat to a particular style/color of glasses. I generally choose the hat first (since it was chosen to work with my outfit) and then the glasses. It's not uncommon for me to try on a half dozen or more pairs of glasses until I'm satisfied that a complimentary match was achieved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn