Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Spectacles

JimWagner

Practically Family
I've worn glasses most of my life and by and large I've never really considered them a fashion statement. Once I escaped childhood and black plastic frames I've selected the most invisible frames available and they seem to go with everything just fine. Including hats.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I meant to add that I've recently started occasionally wearing disposable contacts when I'm not having to do close work. The newer toric lenses seem to correct my astigmatism quite well. The problem with contacts is that I then need reading glasses for close work and that really defeats the whole purpose of contacts - to not wear glasses. So, contacts are relegated to weekends or when in some type of costume.

GWD

One Too Many
web.jpg

This is my Grandfather in the mid 60's.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
It's not uncommon for me to try on a half dozen or more pairs of glasses until I'm satisfied that a complimentary match was achieved.

The drive for perfection.

You remind me that I'm going to have to get some sort of clip-on sunglasses thingy or prescription sunglasses now. Argh!

DRB

One Too Many
GWD said:
web.jpg

This is my Grandfather in the mid 60's.

Yeah, yeah, what's wrong with that? I like it. It works for him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JimWagner, I too use the frameless glasses with smaller lenses. I believe it leaves a smaller "footprint" on my good looks. :) . I have always wondered if the glasses detracted from the hat but I have convinced myself that as long as the glasses are not bringing an unusual amount of scrutiny, that the observer will first notice my hat, and not the glasses. I have also convinced myself that I worry way too much about this very subject. Besides, I gotta have the glasses. :)

Here is a picture of my Borsalino Beaver and glasses:

BorsalinoBeaver21-2inchbrimfromDelm.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
You know, I think the idea wearing a hat, and glasses for that matter, does not prescribe to any sense of fashion.

One of my favorite books covers the subject, Gaiman's Anansi Boys, where the father of the main character hands his green fedora to his adult son and the son protests saying he always looks silly in hats, to which the father replies.

"You wanna wear a hat, all you need is the attitude!"

I think any combination of hat and glasses will work, aside from some of the more outrageous combinations.

I could be wrong of course.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Mr Vim said:
I think any combination of hat and glasses will work, aside from some of the more outrageous combinations.

I generally agree with this. That is exactly why I was so surprised to see just how truly bad my chosen frames looked with my favorite straw hat. They look great with everything else though. Whew!

Thems the breaks, I guess.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey, if this cat can pull off the hat & glasses look, anyone can.

johnny_depp1_300_400.jpg

If the glasses suit you, then the hat will go with it too. Like it was said above, "all you need is the attitude". :)

Cheers!

Dan

Dewhurst

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Like it was said above, "all you need is the attitude". :)

A fellow I knew (acquaintance, his name was Chris) who genuinely tried, as much as his little heart could, to have the "attitude" to pull off regularly wearing the Cat in the Hat hat thing.

Didn't work.

Good effort with the 'tude though. I don't know what he was thinking. (Very little, I assume).

Al

One of the Regulars
Dewhurst said:
A fellow I knew (acquaintance, his name was Chris) who genuinely tried, as much as his little heart could, to have the "attitude" to pull off regularly wearing the Cat in the Hat hat thing.

Didn't work.

Good effort with the 'tude though. I don't know what he was thinking. (Very little, I assume).

I think it's more of a "confidence" thing. You must have a high level of confidence when regularly wearing a hat. It's a progressive thing, does not happen overnight.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Al said:
I think it's more of a "confidence" thing. You must have a high level of confidence when regularly wearing a hat. It's a progressive thing, does not happen overnight.

I don't know. Generally speaking, you are almost certainly correct (congrats!). But, as many people can attest (my never humble self included), for many people hats are as natural as breathing.

I didn't have to break myself in or hope my friends would warm to the idea. (Did I mention that I have no friends?!?! You have no idea how many problems in life this solves. :p )

Confidence was never a factor (I have none anyway).

But I'm terrifying... so what do I know.[huh]

Dulmit

New in Town
I started wearing glasses long before I started to wear hats. I find that I need a few different eyeglass frames. I have some Shuron brow ridge glasses that I LOVE, but they will not work with certain hats (the brim rests on the frames and not my head).

Basically, get a few different frames (never hurts to have a spare set anyhow). A hint: old style riding frames with a nose bridge and no pads work very well at getting under the brim of most hats.

TipTop

Practically Family
Eyewear Under Hats. Do You Match Proportions?

I have just gotten new eye glasses and they have a modest rectangular full frame. These are a switch up in scale from my former rimless glasses (that have snap-on shades as seen below) and considerably smaller than my new vintage sunglasses.

Pictured here on FL, I see everything ranging in size from dime-size John Lennon wire-frames to swoopy compound-curved wrap-arounds, and they are featured under brims and crowns that sometimes seem incongruous in scale or "vintage" period. I have begun to reconsider my hats worn with eyeglasses (especially dark glasses that really stand out in contrast) as I get used to my new frames, so I pose a question:

Do you consider matching eyewear frame scale, shape and color to your headwear?

Altea, Italy, Woven paper Trilby
Swissflex 2.5 gram Rectangular frames.

15934053-md.jpg

Ritch Rand Sporting Clay over Carrera Vintage frames with tinted lens :cool:
15304214-md.jpg

Atwood (4.5" brim) Swenson over previous Swissflex 2.5 ovals
15130192-lg.jpg

Eeeek!:eeek: BMW (by Schuberth) mc helmet with drop-down visor
15775053-sm.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I switched from a square metal frame to a Classic style Tart Arnel copyJohn Lennon Norwegian Wood Eyeglasses. This year as they just looked
better with my vintage hat collection. An after changing my glasses eveyone I would meet would say how well they went together.

Stetson%20100.jpg

Its all part of the package. the curves of the frames mirror the curves of your brim and crown.

Last edited:
absolutely tiptop the frames have to go WITH the hat and also have to FIT under the hat, I must have a dozen pairs from mirror bikers, to these just ordered for when I'm not wearing a hat at all
melta.gif

VM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran