Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at Burlington Coat Factory

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FW is a frank sort. The kind you can trust. The rest of us often try too hard to be, how shall I say, "tactful". Like me. ;) You can still trust us. But it's much more work.

dean

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
:eek: :rage: You would think the birthday boy would be on his best behavior!!!lol

Well it's true! Every picture he's posted so far he looks so stern. Using his "on-duty" face I guess. lol

Vintage Betty

J.T.Marcus said:
deanglen, We've obviously got a club going here, but what to call it? The Burlington Coat Factory Scavengers? The "Huckel" Berries? The "Tonakers?" The Czech Federation Conspiracy...:rolleyes:

The Burlington Boys

deelovely

Practically Family
fatwoul said:
Hey DeeLovely nice to see you've joined. Welcome.

You're really getting into this hat nonsense aren't you? I especially like that first one with the flowers on it.

BTW - you make much nicer viewing than that grumpy-faced husband of yours. ;)

Yes, I really am getting into the hats now! They are so much fun and take fashion to a whole new level for me!lol
Thanks for the welcome and I will take that last comment as a compliment!:eek:

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
fatwoul said:
I have this image in my head of JT just driving about for days on end, never sleeping, looking for outlets of Burlington Coat Factory.

You're a man on a mission, JT. :D

I found two more stores (Shreveport, LA)! They yielded these three furs. Total cost $40 plus tax. They were all mark-downs from last season.

P1040176.jpg

(1) A Huckel. I resized it from 7 1/4 to 7 1/8. (2) "Is it black or dark brown?" I replaced the ribbon with a brownish grey one, and replaced the fabric sweatband with leather (pirated from a straw cowboy hat). (3) I didn't change a thing about this creamy "butterscotch" with a black ribbon.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Huckel Hats

Snrbfshn said:
Burlington for some time has sold hats from the Czech hatmaker Huckel, which is part of the Tonak line of hats. In an earlier thread besdor had this to say when commenting on the Huckel hat:

"Huckel is the oldest and largest hat factory today. The real name is Tonak. In the US , you will see hats made by them using the name Selentino. We sell their velour hats on our site. They also make hats for Stetson."

At $16, it's probably the best retail hat deal going. The ones I saw were made of fur felt, probably mostly rabbit. If there's any cat or dog fur, it's probably just to add character ;)

Years ago Gowings (RIP) in Sydney imported them and I bought two one of which were that lovely soft felt. I did not look after the light grey one and it got stained . The Brown one is still okay.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I just checked me local BCF all but a few weeks ago, and when I came to the hats secton I was shocked to see racks full of CAPS!!!

I found this saddening, because the last time I had visited the store it was chock full of fedoras.

Maybe it's just a seasonal thing. After all, winter isn't here quite yet :p

Josephine

One Too Many
Jerekson said:
I just checked me local BCF all but a few weeks ago, and when I came to the hats secton I was shocked to see racks full of CAPS!!!

I found this saddening, because the last time I had visited the store it was chock full of fedoras.

I stopped by BCF yesterday and they had one or two Panama looking hats and all caps. The Women's section was better stocked, and I picked up a hat for this weekend, but no Betmars, unfortunately. :(

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Never in just one place

Jerekson said:

when looking for hats, NEVER look in just one place within a store. I just visited my local BCF. Now they've got fedoras on one side of the men's dept, and ball caps and flat caps on the other side of the men's dept.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I just drove around to all three BCF stores in Metro Denver. NW and SW stores mostly had remnants of summer straws, but the East Side store (my area) had plenty of new stock of winter fedoras. Nice hats including pork pies and thin ribbons, but all were wool felt rather than fur felt. And most were $20 hats. But, heh, I got myself a nice gray fedora, Ecuadorian made, better quality than the others. :)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
WideBrimm said:
I just drove around to all three BCF stores in Metro Denver. NW and SW stores mostly had remnants of summer straws, but the East Side store (my area) had plenty of new stock of winter fedoras. Nice hats including pork pies and thin ribbons, but all were wool felt rather than fur felt. And most were $20 hats. But, heh, I got myself a nice gray fedora, Ecuadorian made, better quality than the others. :)
Your not the first one to find only wool this year. All the NEW stock at the BCF I went to was wool - only fur felt were those leftover from last season. I am wondering if BCF has changed - moved towards wool and away from the fur felt. I sure hope not, but I have a sense that they have.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Lucky said:
Your not the first one to find only wool this year. All the NEW stock at the BCF I went to was wool - only fur felt were those leftover from last season. I am wondering if BCF has changed - moved towards wool and away from the fur felt. I sure hope not, but I have a sense that they have.

It sure looks that way!

deanglen

I'm convinced that they have made such a switch. The new BCF in Flint at the Mall is all wool or fabric stingies. Gone are the Tonaks, et. al..

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy