Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats at outdoor weddings

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I am wondering if anyone knows of any particular etiquette concerning men's hats at outdoor weddings. Back when men actually wore hats, I presume they wore them to outdoor weddings; but did they remove them during any part of the ceremony? Or for the duration of the ceremony?

I wear a hat outdoors as a matter of course but have removed it during wedding ceremonies to avoid drawing notice. I am happy to do so as the purpose of etiquette is to avoid making others uncomfortable, and the focus of attention should be the bride and groom. Nonetheless I would like to know what would be traditional and appropriate if all the men (particularly the groom and ushers) were wearing hats.

I asked this question on AAAC some weeks ago. I got some thoughtful responses but none of them addressed the historical question: what was done at outdoor weddings sixty, eighty, or a hundred years ago, when every man arrived with a hat on his head?

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
That's a good one.

I hope someone knows. I've seen some attempts to "deal with that" on movies but, of course, one can't really trust that they got it right (or weren't making some point or the other). I suspect it would be the same as most occasions though, I admit, I'd be completely confused also. It might also depend on the formality of the event (sitting or standing for the ceremony?). Certainly one would remove the hat during the bride's entry, prayer, etc. at a minimum. I also wonder if this might be something regional. Can't wait to see an informed answer. [huh]

donCarlos

Practically Family
This is definitely not an informed answer, but it´s my opinion.
I would definitely remove the hat in any part of the wedding when you are asked to stand up and during the religious parts. As I´m thinking of it, wouldn´t it be more practical to have the hat off during the whole ceremony?

If the wedding is done by clergy then the whole ceremony is like being in church.

If done by a justice of the peace or ship's captain, then technically you could probably pare it down to only when you are supposed to be "paying respect."

K

kpreed

mwelch8404 said:
Remove during the bridal march, the recessional and any prayers.
I must agree strongly on this, I have been to many outdoor weddings and found always this is the case, unless your in a ball cap, that seems to have no ETIQUETTE for Hats and Caps or some folks think so, just my two cents.

Story

I'll Lock Up
mwelch8404 said:
Remove during the bridal march, the recessional and any prayers.

Concur, and I've seen that in print somewheres. Question is, where... CRS.

MAB1

Suspended
I would think that protocol would depend on the weather.

My buddy wore his oilskin at a graveside funeal service yesterday in the rain. Nobody cared. But, it was a bunch of Harley Davidson fanatics.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
At a graveside service it is permissable to wear the hat except during the actual prayers. "Let us pray," is the signal to uncover, and the final "Amen," is the point when you can put your hat back on. This assumes, of course, that you are Protestant, Catholic, or simply respectful of the Christian faith. If you are Jewish, the hat is to remain on your head, especially during the prayers. (I can't remember the custom for Orthodox Christians.) :)

MAB1

Suspended
Mike Hammered said:
The custom of taking your hat off during prayers at a funeral was designed to increase business in the industry during the slow winter season.

Is that to induce pneumonia???:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic