Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats continue their comeback

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is interesting. I guess I see more in Washington, D.C. as well, as the men gain confidence by seeing more of them around. I believe a lot of men are dying to wear them, but want to see a certain number around before taking the plunge.

coble

A-List Customer
interesting

you know i feel its true about people feeling more comfortable, but i think people also don't know where to go when wanting something custom.
I was in discussion with one of the instructors at the boat building school about the school and he saw my photo on facebook of my new hat. He asked where i got it, so i mentioned Black Sheep Hat works there in washington. The boat school is in washington. Well funny thing happened we talked about hats, and he wanted to know prices, felt quality, everything.
I think people are interested in hats, and wearing them. But also i think price is hard to cope with right now as well for a really nice quality unless you go vintage.
Now, the cool thing about this conversation was he told me about a hat shop located next to the art museum in downtown seattle thats been there since 1930.
So i think the interest is there, and the want of hats is there. I don't think the quality in some states in hat production is there, and lack of shops.
Yes finding hat stores online, and finding custom hat makers is great. But if you can't try it on, feel the felt in your hands, its hard to shop for one.
Especially if your new to wearing a hat, your unsure of styles you like, if they look good on you. The color felt that fits you better with clothing, tons of different factors.
But i do see it becoming more familiar to see other styles then the baseball cap.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I see more and more people wearing baseball caps.

As in more often than before, or just the same as it's ever been the past decade? If you're talking about those rapper style flat bill caps, then yes, I've seen more and more of those over the past two or three years.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I suspect that wool and straw will be the dominant materials of the coming years, and fur will continue to be primarily seen on the heads of vintage enthusiasts . As younger Americans enter a still shaky workforce and the economy continues its squeaking return from the brink, the primary hat shoppers are going to be those with less disposable income, who will want a product that occupies a happy medium between price and style. The ready availability of wool and straw (and cotton) hats at such retailers as JC Penney's, Dillards, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. vs. the relative scarcity of brick-and-mortar hat shops will also play a factor. I myself have ever only stepped foot in one brick-and-mortar, and they wanted $100 for a fur Scala readily available online for $60.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
There's a reason why Meyer the Hatter of New Orleans is the oldest hat shop in the south; and that's because many men in New Orleans never stopped wearing hats; and their sons just followed along. Then again, New Orleans isn't like the rest of the U.S., or the South, or much of Louisiana in many ways.

If you go to New Orleans visit Meyer's, the old man is a real character, and he appreciates a good hat even if he didn't sell it to you. Meyer's isn't in the French Quarter, it's across Canal St. on St. Charles, and if the author of the article had gone to Meyers he would have had a larger selection, and more of a story.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
you know i feel its true about people feeling more comfortable, but i think people also don't know where to go when wanting something custom.
I was in discussion with one of the instructors at the boat building school about the school and he saw my photo on facebook of my new hat. He asked where i got it, so i mentioned Black Sheep Hat works there in washington. The boat school is in washington. Well funny thing happened we talked about hats, and he wanted to know prices, felt quality, everything.
I think people are interested in hats, and wearing them. But also i think price is hard to cope with right now as well for a really nice quality unless you go vintage.
Now, the cool thing about this conversation was he told me about a hat shop located next to the art museum in downtown seattle thats been there since 1930.
So i think the interest is there, and the want of hats is there. I don't think the quality in some states in hat production is there, and lack of shops.
Yes finding hat stores online, and finding custom hat makers is great. But if you can't try it on, feel the felt in your hands, its hard to shop for one.
Especially if your new to wearing a hat, your unsure of styles you like, if they look good on you. The color felt that fits you better with clothing, tons of different factors.
But i do see it becoming more familiar to see other styles then the baseball cap.

Great analysis. Having recently purchased my first fedora I can relate to what you're saying. I haven't found anything available in eastern NC other than the Walmart, etc. variety of cheap fedoras, so the web was my only option. I thought long and hard before taking the plunge and buying a moderately priced ($88 on sale) fur felt from the Village Hat Shop's web site. I had all the same concerns you cited about buying online. Fortunately, it worked out well. The hat fits (that was my biggest concern) and I like the way it feels and looks on me. Wide brimmed fedora sightings are still rare in eastern NC, but hopefully more men will decide to take the plunge if they see some of us out there.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Here on the coast of NC, in a fairly good sized city populated by folk from all over the country, I have seen no other man wearing a fedora. This makes me unique. ;)

I've always liked fedoras. But it wasn't until I reached the point in my life where I feel comfortable with who I am that I could wear one in public.

I'm starting to feel undressed now without it. At the moment I have only a brown hat, so I can't wear it with everything. But more should arrive in a month or so. :D

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

I agree. I am seeing more & more proper brimmed hats, even if they are largely wool, cotton/poly or leather.
I do not think the expanded awareness of hats' health benefits can be understated either.
Every opperknockity that I have, I mention TFL to others and how much erudition regarding all things hat is available, & how much I like it here.
Keep the faith!

Last edited:

HHCassius

New in Town
Great analysis. Having recently purchased my first fedora I can relate to what you're saying. I haven't found anything available in eastern NC other than the Walmart, etc. variety of cheap fedoras, so the web was my only option. I thought long and hard before taking the plunge and buying a moderately priced ($88 on sale) fur felt from the Village Hat Shop's web site. I had all the same concerns you cited about buying online. Fortunately, it worked out well. The hat fits (that was my biggest concern) and I like the way it feels and looks on me. Wide brimmed fedora sightings are still rare in eastern NC, but hopefully more men will decide to take the plunge if they see some of us out there.

Being 36 and looking younger, I had hesitations that I was being fashion-foolhardy rather than fashion-forward in donning a fedora. I didn't want it to look like I was "trying too hard". But, much to my surprise and pleasure, I started getting comments about how not everyone can wear a fedora and that I wore mine well. So public awareness and acceptance is swinging back in the proper hat direction, I feel.

Now, while styles are as they are among young urban folk, i.e. the flat-brimmed rapper style hats I heard someone mention, at least they're wearing hats. It's just that most other people I see at the job site either keepin it casual and wearing baseball / trucker hats (I'm in telecom, so it's a motley crew of finance, corporate, executive, IT and technical folk) or just nothing at all. Being in Atlanta, you can probably get by more easily without a hat, as anything south of North Carolina isn't really seeing hard winters. I see some flat caps in general, but not so much in the way of fedoras. And it's amazing how a cheap wool fedora like a Jaxon C-Crown Crushable is perfect for keeping rain off you, eliminating the need for a cumbersome but useful umbrella.

So yeah, right now, I'm not really feeling the expense of a proper fur felt and must not have the patience right now to look for vintage on eBay, given my head size (XL - 60/61) and shape (long oval). My cheap Jaxons do well enough for now.

But when the season changes, I'm looking for something in Dobbs - I've seen comments as of late on the lounge that Dobbs does the best wool from a commercial perspective.

Last edited:

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I hope hats are coming back a bit more. Maybe if we saw more movies made with modern men wearing hats, it might help. However, I believe it's maybe a regional thing, as we still wear a lot of hats around here, but it's more rural, and unfortunately the ball cap rules and has for 30yrs, but the cowboy hat is still seen some.

I enjoyed the article, but I see hat etiquette a little different.
This is the way it's mostly done around here. Maybe it more Cowboy Etiquette, but it's also more practical.

Remove your hat when visiting people in their home, unless it relatives, then use your own judgement, and if a lot of small kids are around, it just might be the better part of valor to keep it on your head and out of harm's way.

Always remove you hat in church, or anytime there is a prayer being said.

Always stand and remove you hat for the National Anthem or when the stars and strips pass by you, such as at a Rodeo, where a horseman will ride by in the Grand Entry carrying a flag.

Remove your hat when mentioning someone who has passed on.

Remove you hat in front of lady if you think she deserves it, but don't go taking it off every time you pass a woman in the isle at Walmart.

We do not remove our hats, when going into a business, or eating out, as there is no safe place for it, and I don't want to take it off anyway, and it is not generally the custom anymore, unless it's with very important company and a really nice eating place.

Do take your hat off at the movies, although nowdays, with statium seating, it's not really an issue, like it was in the past, when the seating was at a much more gentle slope.

One should take a hat off in a meeting, however, I seldom remove a ball cap, in meetings, unless I am in a very formal one, and people that know me, expect that.

That's hat etiquette You can live with, and is generally the way it's done in my part of the world.

OH! and one other thing, never touch another man's hat, espacally if it's on his head at the time. Of course you can ask to see another man's hat if you like it and want to examine it, assuming you are good friends, and you know he won't mind.

And never yell or call out to someone, with the exclamation "Hey Cowboy!" just because they are wearing a hat, unless you wish to agrivate them, of course women can usually get away with it, espacally if they are pretty.:)

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

Being 36 and looking younger, I had hesitations that I was being fashion-foolhardy rather than fashion-forward in donning a fedora. I didn't want it to look like I was "trying too hard". But, much to my surprise and pleasure, I started getting comments about how not everyone can wear a fedora and that I wore mine well. So public awareness and acceptance is swinging back in the proper hat direction, I feel.

Now, while styles are as they are among young urban folk, i.e. the flat-brimmed rapper style hats I heard someone mention, at least they're wearing hats. It's just that most other people I see at the job site either keepin it casual and wearing baseball / trucker hats (I'm in telecom, so it's a motley crew of finance, corporate, executive, IT and technical folk) or just nothing at all. Being in Atlanta, you can probably get by more easily without a hat, as anything south of North Carolina isn't really seeing hard winters. I see some flat caps in general, but not so much in the way of fedoras. And it's amazing how a cheap wool fedora like a Jaxon C-Crown Crushable is perfect for keeping rain off you, eliminating the need for a cumbersome but useful umbrella.

So yeah, right now, I'm not really feeling the expense of a proper fur felt and must not have the patience right now to look for vintage on eBay, given my head size (XL - 60/61) and shape (long oval). My cheap Jaxons do well enough for now.

But when the season changes, I'm looking for something in Dobbs - I've seen comments as of late on the lounge that Dobbs does the best wool from a commercial perspective.

Hiya Cassius & may I say how nice it is to see another Georgian here, I grew up in Athens/Clarke c.7o's-9o's. I agree, a very brief window in which to wear felt down home. Though when you do get a new felt, what w/ yer big nut & so on, I hope you will take a close look at an Akubra. Some much more bang f/ the buck, you will not regret it. Keep a close eye on the Classifieds here too. Them Dawgs are hell, ain't they? :rolleyes:

Best,

RB

danofarlington

I hope hats are coming back a bit more. Maybe if we saw more movies made with modern men wearing hats, it might help. However, I believe it's maybe a regional thing, as we still wear a lot of hats around here, but it's more rural, and unfortunately the ball cap rules and has for 30yrs, but the cowboy hat is still seen some.

I enjoyed the article, but I see hat etiquette a little different.
This is the way it's mostly done around here. Maybe it more Cowboy Etiquette, but it's also more practical.

Remove your hat when visiting people in their home, unless it relatives, then use your own judgement, and if a lot of small kids are around, it just might be the better part of valor to keep it on your head and out of harm's way.

Always remove you hat in church, or anytime there is a prayer being said.

Always stand and remove you hat for the National Anthem or when the stars and strips pass by you, such as at a Rodeo, where a horseman will ride by in the Grand Entry carrying a flag.

Remove your hat when mentioning someone who has passed on.

Remove you hat in front of lady if you think she deserves it, but don't go taking it off every time you pass a woman in the isle at Walmart.

We do not remove our hats, when going into a business, or eating out, as there is no safe place for it, and I don't want to take it off anyway, and it is not generally the custom anymore, unless it's with very important company and a really nice eating place.

Do take your hat off at the movies, although nowdays, with statium seating, it's not really an issue, like it was in the past, when the seating was at a much more gentle slope.

One should take a hat off in a meeting, however, I seldom remove a ball cap, in meetings, unless I am in a very formal one, and people that know me, expect that.

That's hat etiquette You can live with, and is generally the way it's done in my part of the world.

OH! and one other thing, never touch another man's hat, espacally if it's on his head at the time. Of course you can ask to see another man's hat if you like it and want to examine it, assuming you are good friends, and you know he won't mind.

And never yell or call out to someone, with the exclamation "Hey Cowboy!" just because they are wearing a hat, unless you wish to agrivate them, of course women can usually get away with it, espacally if they are pretty.:)

This is good. I like to find out about ongoing hat traditions, because apart from those, we're just making up rules as we go, and they are all different rules, inconsistent across the board.

Not too long ago another article was posted that was nearly identical and people read it and took issue with some of the info. It's the level of an introduction which tends to be shown in a certain way. While I am happy that people take the plunge I find that so few people come into something with so little knowledge. Now I am not sure what he paid for the hat but it probably falls into an inexpensive type so it is an easy purchase. The question will be if the people that take this step move on to something "better" and educate themselves on the subject. (Here is where some people get all nuts and start screaming about Elitism.) I think though that there is some much need for education on hats that the manufacturers need to put together for the stores to used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy