Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in Ames, Iowa

Phil

A-List Customer
Good day all. I come to you from Ames, Iowa. Home of Iowa State Univeristy and the Cyclones. Now, I've been around Ames and I can't seem to find any hat stores. Does anyone have any stores hidden away? Much appreciated.

-Phil

Duck

Practically Family
Well, I can't help but, let me know if there are any, My granddaughter and her husband just moved there, so I will be coming to Ames every so often.

Starius

Practically Family
Undertow and I went to college there a few years ago. I don't recall any personally, but I wasn't really into hats at the time. He might be able tell you of some in Des Moines though, which is only about 30 minutes away from Ames.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, as far as I recall, there was a theatrical place in Ames that sold a few wool caps, no fedoras. There may be a few boutique shops now but while Starius and I were stuck in Ames, there wasn't much else to choose from that I can remember. I'm not familiar with the area as much anymore, so you might try some suit shops.

As far as Des Moines goes (which isn't so far from Ames, straight shot all the way), we have Classic Hats for Men in the Sherman Hill area. They are appointment only but are open Saturday afternoons. There are also various antique shops in West Des Moines and Des Moines but I'll warn you, I've already been through and cleaned them out of 7 1/4's - 7 1/2's.

Please post any finds in Ames as I would love to drive up and check out a shop some time!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Phil, I live in Boone and know of one antique shop in downtown Ames. Recently they've had some boaters and derbies but not many fedoras though there have been some in the past.

'Antique Ames'
203 Main St.

Also, there is a mall in Story City right next to the highway, it often has fedoras though they are mostly stingies. Their booth change out often so it's always good to check here once in a while.

The large antique malls in Des Moines (Brass Armadillo, Majestic Lion) often have fedoras but take a bit of looking to find.
Hope this helps.

Phil

A-List Customer
Thanks all. I'll be sure to check out those antique malls for some fedoras. I'll keep my eyes open for any shops I may have missed and I'll be sure to report any finds.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Phil, I grew up in Ames and I'm here now (my family still owns a house here), and my eyes would have popped if I ever found a decent hat hereabouts, never mind a hat store. Closest I've come lately was some almost acceptable straw stingys at Target, or the plaid cloth deals up at North Grand that make you look like a socially confused 17 year old who's misplaced his skateboard.

Hey, I've got a slightly moth-bitten light grey wool felt Broner, about a size L, with no band. Come by the house and I'll give it to you. :)

$ally

One Too Many
AMES!

Go to the antique malls in the downtown historic district on Main Street. There are endless sources for vintage in that town. I love Ames!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'll be in Ames thru 8/24. Can you make it in from AZ by then? :D

I get over to Antiques Ames (the old Tilden Store) every time I hit town. Haven't yet this trip tho.

I must say, I never find anything in my size there vintage wise, and precious little in ANY size. Part of being a man hereabouts, I've always believed, is being very frugal with duds. You don't buy much, and what you do buy, you wear till it's just about shot.

Here's Tilden's in the late '30s, when it was by far the biggest retail operation in town. They also ran Collegiate Mfg, back on 5th near Douglas, which made college pennants and such, and army raincoats during the Big One. They even had their own grocery - no fancy dep't store food hall, mind you, just a grocery right in the store. (European dep't stores do this even today.)
627.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Wow, all these Iowans -- and I thought I would be thoroughly alone out here when I retired and moved from San Diego to Des Moines to be with my mother.

How are all of you coping with the lack of hat wearers here? I feel like the Lone Ranger when I wear a fedora, do not see many women or men wearing them.

karol

Alex

Practically Family
I'm gonna bump this ancient thread by adding that I'm a proud fedora wearer in the town of Ames.

I gotta check out Antique Ames. Anyone else here living in Ames at the moment?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch, I keep forgetting you're up in Ames. If I weren't so lazy and ignorant, I would try to arrange a meeting with you and thunderw21. I haven't talked to Starius is some time, and I haven't seen him post in a while either, so I guess he's MIA.

Alex, good to see another Iowan on here. We're a bit far and few, I believe, but we're a good lot. :)

If you're ever in West Des Moines, be sure to check out some of the antique shops in Valley Junction. There's also a new curiosity shop opened in the "East Village" in downtown Des Moines called The Eye. The owner, Ian, deals in Stetsons currently, and I know he'd be eager to work with any requests.

(it's worth noting that The Eye also deals in custom leather masks of great intricacy, vintage surgical books/tools, and some other various whimsical things including local artwork, etc. Ian is a pretty energetic and interesting fellow in his early 30's, with a broad palate of tastes. He's very good for conversation, too.)

Alex

Practically Family
That's some sweet info Undertow, I'll have to check out The Eye! I've been to The Atomic Garage in Valley Junction and it was pretty cool, although most of the desirable items were for rent, or just rather expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass