Hats in the rain, do they bleed so to speak?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by memphislawyer, Aug 27, 2009.

1. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

Yes, I have a brown Dobbs, probably from the 60's. Whenever I get caught in a good rain with it I see brownish drips coming off the brim.

Then the had dries and looks just as good as before.

Never got a stain on my head or hand, but I do see colour in the drips.

2. EricRod

EricRod New in Town

Greetings. I haven't been here in quite a while. I hope someone here can help my with this problem.

I recently bought a brand new a Stetson Premier Stratoliner (https://www.jjhatcenter.com/products/the-premier-stratoliner-by-stetson?variant=5279940100) from JJ Hat Center, a reputable hat seller here in NYC. I purchased the Sage with Brown Trim. For some reason the hat "stains" my fingers whenever I handle it. I noticed as I was brushing it, a dark dust was coming off. At first I just thought it might have been dust from being on display, but when it didn't stop I quickly thought I had gotten a defective hat. I contacted JJ Hat Center and they said this is common with some Stetson hats. They said Stetson uses a powder on their dark hats and that this should wear off in time. (Note: This is not my first hat or first Stetson. I've never had this happen with any of my hats.)

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Is JJ Hat Center's response correct? Is there anyway to stop it? If not, does anyone know how long it may take for this to stop?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have never had a Stetson that bad but they do have a reputation for using powder to even out the colour ...in my opinion due to poor dye jobs.

4. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Well that's unfortunate to hear. The Premier Strat was resurrected by sometimes Lounger Matt Deckard. Stetson has and does use finishing powders, but it seemed to have been less prevalent in recent years.

5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, I have a few modern Stetsons and I have never experienced a problem like this. Other issues yes, but not this one to this extent.

6. EricRod

EricRod New in Town

I gave it a really good brushing yesterday and wore it outside for the first time today, so I admit, there appears to be less residue on my fingers, but it's still a bit disappointing to see this. I'm really concerned about what may happen if I accidentally rub it on a white shirt or get caught in the rain.

I'll check back in about a week and let you all know if it's gotten any better.

BTW, I sent an email directly to Stetson about this issue. I'll let you all know what they say when I hear back from them.

Thanks.
    Eric

7. Dotneck

Dotneck New in Town

I just ordered a Stetsonian from JJ's. I know the Stetsonian has been discontinued for a while...the hat I bought was on clearance so it's very likely it has been sitting in their shop a year or so...but I'll check it out to see if it has the same issue.

dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have two modern Stetsonians and had no problem with them. IMHO one of the best of the Stetson modern offerings.

dkstott and deadlyhandsome like this.

9. That’s a coup to find a Stetsonian at this late date! Nice hats...so of course they were discontinued.

belfastboy likes this.
  10. EricRod

EricRod New in Town

Yeah, I have a Stetsonian as well. No problem at all.

As for my Premier Stratoliner, I've worn it outside 3 times already. The "bleeding" seems to be stopping. I see much less residue on my fingers. :)

1967Cougar390 and belfastboy like this.
  11. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Dittos. One in Light Gray, one in Tawny. Plus a RD Racine and an Excellent Strat. No problems with this at all. I once had a Temple that did that, though.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

12. That light gray Stetsonian is going to be someone’s Mac Lachlan 100 in 70 years. Even now that’s a hard hat to find.

Frunobulax likes this.
  13. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I know of one other, but there must be more.

14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Interestingly I listed this hat for sale in a 7 3/8 a while back and no takers. A mink coloured one as well. Not even any tire kickers.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

15. The ladies at the outlet groaned every time I called and it was always the same: nothing in light gray. I have a couple of the Stetsonians, but I’ve never seen on in my size