Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats in Venice and Vienna

Joseph Casazza

New in Town
I'll be in Venice and Vienna late in the Fall, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any hat shops worth visiting in either place. It's been decades since I was last in Italy, and that was in full summer, but even with the heat and sun I didn't see many men wearing hats. Are Italians or Austrians wearing hats much in the winter now?

riccardo

Practically Family
...i just tell it.

Hi Casazza and all on the lounge,
so it isn't only my impression...
here,in italy,there aren't so much hat lover...you have seen right, only in the winter someone wear an hat, and very few during the summer...but only baseball cap or similar...nothing of important!
I wear my panama hat every day, all day long...and i have understood that people like to see anyone wearing an hat, specially if it is a beautiful hat...but ,here,is not very usually to see an hat wearer.
In italy there aren't hat shop on internet, and the Borsalino web site, i've just tell it, is under construction...since 3 or 4 month...
This is the story!!!
The lounge is a very beautiful place!

Best regards.

Riccardo.

riccardo

Practically Family
...however...

...however some old men wear hat, a tipical style of italian hat with a very small brims...and someone,here in Sicily, a tipical sicilian style hat called "coppola".

Hi.

Riccardo

Peter.S

New in Town
Hi there!

http://www.giulianalongo.com/
is listed on Brent Black as a retailer.

I wasn't aware of this shop when I was in the neghborhood.

Di Bampa is another it is located approx. 200 m straight north from Piazza san Marco. This guy had a couple of Optimos starting at 500 Euros. He also sold me a Panama for 55 Euros. I would really like to get a hat from Panamabob. But the problem is, if the customs noses up a deal from America to Sweden. They wan't a big piece of the cake. A deal worth 50 Dollars will end up nearly twice that price when everything is payed.

The shop mentioned before located on Rialto does sell a lot of things. But I have never seen a hat there. But I havent looked that close either. They do sell a full scale Harley all made of wood (even the chain), giv'em 3000 Euros and its yours:) How you are going to get it on the aeroplane is your problem.

Rialto isn't necessarily expensive. Lambswool sweaters for 20-30 dollars i fully possible. Otherwise Venice is totally weird in pricing. 55 dollars for two pizzas and a spaghetti and water is expensive to me.

San Marco cathedral is marvellous, but there are to many tourist. The stream of tourists means everything worth to see is hidden behind glass. A tips is to walk away from Merceria and find one of the smaller churches, where you can see (and touch) 600 years old documents. That gives a "WOW" feeling.

Cheers
Peter From Sweden

Peter.S said:
I wasn't aware of this shop when I was in the neghborhood.

Di Bampa is another it is located approx. 200 m straight north from Piazza san Marco. This guy had a couple of Optimos starting at 500 Euros. He also sold me a Panama for 55 Euros. I would really like to get a hat from Panamabob. But the problem is, if the customs noses up a deal from America to Sweden. They wan't a big piece of the cake. A deal worth 50 Dollars will end up nearly twice that price when everything is payed.

Oh man! I didn't realize Bampa was still in business. That is a place to go for sure. If it is the same one I remember it has been around quite a while and they are a true old time hat shop. I don't know the address but they should be close enough for you to find. The hotel should be able to point you in the right direction. Take pictures. I love that place! :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi Casazza.

Good morning Casazza,
i live in Sicily (Sicilia) south east Siracusa is the town...and i advice you to visit it, is a very beautiful city full of history and culture!!
I'm happy to have met you here, Genova is a beautiful town..
...thanks for your italian and scuse me for my bad English.

p.s. only today i've read your message!

Best regards!!

Buongiorno Casazza,
io vivo in Sicilia a sud est, la città si chiama Siracusa,e Ti consiglio di visitarla, è una bella città piena di storia e cultura!!
Sono felice di averTi incontrato qui, Genova è una bella città...
...grazie per aver scritto in italiano e scusa per il mio Inglese scadente.

p.s. solo oggi ho letto il Tuo messaggio.

Best regards.

Riccardo.

riccardo said:
...however some old men wear hat, a tipical style of italian hat with a very small brims...and someone,here in Sicily, a tipical sicilian style hat called "coppola".

Hi.

Riccardo

astaire

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Oh man! I didn't realize Bampa was still in business. That is a place to go for sure. If it is the same one I remember it has been around quite a while and they are a true old time hat shop. I don't know the address but they should be close enough for you to find. The hotel should be able to point you in the right direction. Take pictures. I love that place! :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

JP, you'll be glad to hear that Bampa is still there. The old man sold me an eight-panel. He's a bit arrogant, but I guess he deserves to be like that for being there for so long.

Funny, he streches a tight hat using his knee!lol

Sorry I didn't take pictures. I was there last spring. But, like everything in Venice, things never change.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hat Stores in Italy

What is happennig in Italy is that the older hat stores are closing due to the lack of hat wearers .Borsalino is opening their own stores instead. They have quite a few in Italy . The Barbisio store in Milan is gone five years .They closed all of their stores in Italy .There are other stores left but you need to look for them . What a shame as Italy was the hat capital of hat manufacturing at one time.

Steven

:eek:

D

dzacca

Sadly, here in Italy it's pratically impossible to find hat wearers... You can find only a few retail shops and very little hatters :cry:

On 17th November I'll be in Milan to visit Cappelleria Melegari's, one of the last good hatter left in Italy :(
All the shops closed, the historical brands, such as borsalino, are almost closed.

They sold everything and the production is in China (as far as I know) and just the brand survive.

All of you know the difference between the vintage hats and the new ones better than me...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, this is all great information to know, for I am leaving for Rome this Saturday, and will be in Venice next Thursday! Is there any way I can block this thread from Hemingway Jones!!! I can just picture our journey through Venice, a quick "oh there's Murano and Burano" this way to the wonderful hat shoppe!

moustache

Practically Family
Vienna

Joseph Casazza said:
I'll be in Venice and Vienna late in the Fall, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any hat shops worth visiting in either place. It's been decades since I was last in Italy, and that was in full summer, but even with the heat and sun I didn't see many men wearing hats. Are Italians or Austrians wearing hats much in the winter now?

There are a number of fine men's shoppes in Vienna.But i remember most vividly an establishment called "Wienerwald".It is along the Kärtnerstraße a few blocks from the St.Stephens.The upstairs section seemed full of touristy kitsch.But downstairs were acres of headgear!!!I looked at many Borsalinos there.Just never purchased one.
Also,Steffls department store will have a selection.

Have fun!!!

JD

astaire said:
JP, you'll be glad to hear that Bampa is still there. The old man sold me an eight-panel. He's a bit arrogant, but I guess he deserves to be like that for being there for so long.

Funny, he streches a tight hat using his knee!lol

Sorry I didn't take pictures. I was there last spring. But, like everything in Venice, things never change.

OH geez, you're kidding. I think that same old man was there when I was there decades ago. :p Things can't stay the same that long. :D Do they still have a good selection of felt hats there?

Regards,

J

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
It's not a pretty picture in Italy right now for hat enthusiasts . The selection is not that good , but if you know where to look ,you will find a decent hat.
In Italy , there is a department store chain called "Coin" . They have a small dept in each store for caps and hats. The one in Milan has some nice felt hats by Panizza and some sharp caps as well. But the old time stores like myself and others on the lounge are faiding away every year .

Steven

:)

astaire

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
OH geez, you're kidding. I think that same old man was there when I was there decades ago. :p Things can't stay the same that long. :D Do they still have a good selection of felt hats there?

Regards,

J

How do you know it's the same old man? did he stretch your hat using his knee also? I guess that's his own way of assuring the quality of his hats lol

Selection wise, i would only buy the eight panel caps (he does have really nice ones). I didn't see any decent fedora. But then again, I'm a vintage hat wearer.

Daisy, before you go to Italy, you should watch Summertime starring Katharine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi. Things have not changed since that movie was made!

In Vienna . . .

Try these:

Nagy
Schottengasse 3
Wien, 1010
Tel: +43 1 405 66 29-0
Fax: +43 1 405 66 29 12

Collins H?ºte
Opernpassage 5-6
Wien, 1010
Tel: +43 1 587 13 05
Fax: +43 1 523 24 91

Nagy has several branches sprinkled throughout the city. Collins is located in the pedestrian underpass in front of the State Opera.

Habig, who produced a black velour fedora sold to me by Besdor's father, closed its doors about 10 years ago. Tragic.

Sardou

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Collins is a great store to check out. In Germany, and Austria there are still quite a few hat stores left. But with Habig gone there isnt much reason for us to go to Viennna anymore .

Steven

SMCK

New in Town
hat shops in Italy

Ther are borsalino shops in Venice,sestiere San Marco.(closed when I was there this summer but due to open again in the autumn, having been re vamped.)and in Verona, Piazza Erbe;where I got a very nice gren fedora in my size. style ? There is also a good hat shop in Cittadella, where the owner speaks no english. but international hat language seems to work.there He sold me a lovely borsalino baku , as worn by presidente , he asured me. really nice hat but it got squashed in overhead locker on way home; great pity. where can I get a box that would solve that?

Hat: box, case ,can-can protect your hat.

stuartmckeever said:
really nice hat but it got squashed in overhead locker on way home; great pity. where can I get a box that would solve that?

Some of the hat shops have hat boxes for sale. I got one at Baron's.

Ebay has hat boxes, sometimes tons of'em.

Finally many hat shops carry HAT CANS which is a modern PVC (plastic yet fairly rugged) luggage piece.

Sometimes Hat cases and older luggage types come up on Ebay. There was a sweet Stetson case that came up fairly regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy