Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats or Shades

Lids or Shade

• Total voters

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wardell Gray disapproves...
As does Hannibal.....

article-1059785-02C211E600000578-168_224x423.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I vote both. Take a look at this picture of Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep (I think):

Picture-1.jpg

But either way, a hat or sunglasses worn separately can look cool too. Also, they are both functional as well. I frequently wear one of my hats or sunglasses, but I haven't tried wearing them both yet...

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I vote both. Take a look at this picture of Humphrey Bogart in The Big Sleep (I think):

Picture-1.jpg

But either way, a hat or sunglasses worn separately can look cool too. Also, they are both functional as well. I frequently wear one of my hats or sunglasses, but I haven't tried wearing them both yet...

Bogie needs to keep the brim DOWN.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I always wear sunglasses...I am sensitive to light, and too much UV exposure gives me a migraine every time. When I started wearing hats, I struggled with this very question. I didn't like the way my metal-framed glasses looked with a fedora. Somebody suggested I start wearing Ray Ban Wayfarers. I reluctantly tried it, and loved the resulting look...Wayfarers have that great vintage look, just like hats. My avatar is a good example of how the two pair...this was taken on the 2nd Avenue Pier at Myrtle Beach last month...a place where sunglasses were necessary for the glare, and a hat was necessary to keep my head warm. I would not have wanted to have to choose between the two. I now wear Wayfarers almost exclusively, and I like the way they pair with virtually every hat I own. My only complaint is that Wayfarers are so heavy compared to the thin frames I was used to.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Hats (any brimmed type) will keep the sun out of my eyes but do little for road glare. Also my eyes are pretty sensitive to bright light so I wear shades as a comfort item.

What he said. Hat and sunglasses together is the perfect combination for sun blockage. I personally don't think it looks bad, but even if it does, how big a fop do you have to be to want to be blinded for the sake of fashion?

-Dave

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Also, it really does matter what type/style of shades you wear with a fedora. Please eschew wrap-around sport shades in favor of something more classic.

These flip-ups look pretty sharp:

oliver-peoples-riley-glasses.jpg

eddiehmd

New in Town
I think a hat and shades may be worn together depending on the type of hat, but your face may look a bit overcrowded. I personally prefer to wear one or the other depending on occasion or need.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
Sunglasses protect your eyes against UV radiation. Hats don't. Unless you wear one covering your face :) Too much exposure to UV over time can contribute to cataracts.

Same with pilots. Less atmosphere to shield against UV at flight altitudes.

A hat will help protect your skin from UV and potentially skin cancer. Sunglasses will help prevent cataracts caused by UV damage. There are other factors than UV damage that can contribute cataracts, but everything you can do to help prevent the damage helps.

Hollywood actors originally started wearing sunglasses because their eyes were getting damaged by the lighting in use - high UV levels in arc lights. Think welder's flash. Of course, once the public associated sunglasses with film actors then it became "cool" and the practical reasons for actors wearing them have become lost in time.

For me, it's hats AND sunglasses. I need the protection. Already have had some skin cancers and cataracts are forming. Too late for prevention, but not too late to prevent further damage. Even if I didn't think the look works, which it does to me. Maybe if I'd started wearing both when I was younger I wouldn't have those problems now.

My Optometrist concurs with Mr Wagners opinion, so I wear both. Even discounting that fact that he'd prefer we all wear welding goggles to protect our respective visions - I will continue to wear both.

Cliff

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Also, it really does matter what type/style of shades you wear with a fedora. Please eschew wrap-around sport shades in favor of something more classic.

These flip-ups look pretty sharp:

oliver-peoples-riley-glasses.jpg

I keep telling a friend of mine this, but he insists on cultivating the "I've got something to hide, that's why I'm wearing a fedora and wrap-around, dark sunglasses" look...

ssfilez

New in Town
I vote for the hat only! I do not think hats and sunglasses are actually made to be worn at the same time. That is what I consider as overkill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80