Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats similar to a Chatham

Blooze

Familiar Face
I've tried on a couple of Stetson Chathams over the last couple of years and really like the style/shape, but not real comfortable with all the powder that I've seen on them (some less, some more). I've got a Dobb's that has the same issue, unfortunately, and I would like to avoid it from here on out. It looks like the Akubra Stylemaster is very similar. Are there any others out there? As a side note... I really liked the sage green color of one of the Chatham's.

Thanks......

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I have a new Stetson Temple and the powder brushes right out. The color still looks good from what I can tell. The only problem with the new Stetson's is that stupid tag that they put in the bow to replace the brass pin.

Later

Blooze

Familiar Face
I've got a Stetson Gary that I picked up a couple of years ago. The powder brushed out of it pretty good, but the Dobbs Dayton will leave your fingers brown every time you handle it. I've brushed it till my hands got sore more times than I can count. Still does it. Both of the Chatham's I looked at seemed overly dusty to me.

My Gary had no pin or tag. The Dobbs has a pin.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I got my black Chatham back in November (it has a brass pin still), and I never noticed any powder on it at all. It's been a great hat so far. It's been slightly crushed a time or two, and been in a light Southern California rain a few times with no ill effect. I'd ask the shop to brush it out for you and see how it looks. The shop where I got mine brushed it out and steamed a wrinkle out of the ribbon for me before I bought it. If they won't at least brush it out before buying, I don't think I'd buy from there.

Blooze

Familiar Face
I'll be in Dallas again next month, so maybe I'll stop by a shop or two, or the Hatco outlet, and see if I can find one. The Akubra is starting to look like a better bet though, and I really like that green color of theirs.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have what I think is a Stetson Chatham (2 3/8" brim) in brown that I dont wear anymore. It is one of the hats I am going to put up for sale here. Size 7 3/8. Are you interested? If so, please PM me and we can talk.

Blooze

Familiar Face
I have what I think is a Stetson Chatham (2 3/8" brim) in brown that I dont wear anymore. It is one of the hats I am going to put up for sale here. Size 7 3/8. Are you interested? If so, please PM me and we can talk.

I might be interested as I'm between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8. I can't PM yet (not enough posts?).

Duper

Practically Family
I have a tawny coloured Stetson Bear Creek. It is a Noggintops exclusive. It is a Stetson Chatam with a leather hatband rather then the ribbon. I have never noticed any issues with powder or the colour running. I have never worn it out in a downpour however. That is what an Akubra is for. ;)

Having said that I am very pleased with the overall Stetson quality and service I received from Noggintops.

Watch for their sales and you cold save a few bucks.

carldelo

One Too Many
I have a Stetson Chatham in sage green, and there was not any powder on it. Sage is a nice color - looks like medium olive in daylight, dark gray at night. It is a MUCH nicer hat than the Stylemaster (I had one). The Chatham has heavier, softer felt, nicer proportions in the teardrop, less taper in the crown. I abused my Chatham very much over the years and it developed a wonky brim - it cost $20 to add a brim binding, and now the brim is well-behaved and it is reminiscent of a Whippet (the new Whippet, I mean).

Here is a comparison between an Akubra Stylemaster and a Stetson Brewster - the Brewster has the exact same crease and dimensions as a Chatham (although with a contrasting brim binding added, and in silk finish). I think the shape and quality of the Stetson is superior overall (it should be, it costs almost twice as much):

If you like the Chatham, I say, "Go for it....", and suggest Noggintops or VHS as a foolproof vendor (or Scotty, of course). Bencraft has their own version of the Chatham with a wider brim (2-3/4") but I think it's too much. However, they have the Ashland, which is basically a Chatham in Royal quality (aka Downs) with an underwelt 2-1/4" brim, which is a great touch. I have two and like them very much - Bencraft is a good shop.

Last edited:

Blooze

Familiar Face
Thank you very much for the comparison pics. That helps tremendously. I agree the Stetson shape looks better. I would really like to find a sage green one if possible, but I will see what Scott has for sale before making a final decision. It will be the middle of next month before my budget spending money is in my hands, so I've got a little time.

A thank you to everyone else for the suggestions/comments.

Blooze

Familiar Face
Well, I happened to be in the Garland Hatco Outlet area today and stopped by to see what they had. A decent 7 3/8 sage Chatham with little to no powder on it for a good price. I tried on a raggedy 7 1/4 they had and it was a little snug like most 7 1/4 hats are on me, but the 7 3/8 was fairly loose. After conversing with an employee about it they suggested I go with a 7 3/8 and pad it a bit, since I've had to stretch most of my smaller hats every now and then. So the Chatham had to leave with me. FWIW it had the brass pin. There is one little spot of what looks like faint brown to me on it, but it's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. For the price I'm not concerned.

carldelo

One Too Many
^^^ Good deal picking one up at the outlet. Since my post above, I took some pictures of my sage Chatham with the new darker ribbon and matching brim binding and posted them on the lounge on another thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?43063-Welting-a-raw-brim&p=1230458#post1230458

It took a couple of years and a lot of abuse before the brim got rippled, but the binding has turned it into an almost new hat. Something to keep in mind...

Blooze

Familiar Face
^^^ Good deal picking one up at the outlet. Since my post above, I took some pictures of my sage Chatham with the new darker ribbon and matching brim binding and posted them on the lounge on another thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?43063-Welting-a-raw-brim&p=1230458#post1230458

It took a couple of years and a lot of abuse before the brim got rippled, but the binding has turned it into an almost new hat. Something to keep in mind...

Definitely looks better with the binding, IMO. I found a dark, fingerprint sized spot on the back underside of the brim edge last night that I missed. Gonna have to try and get that off. That's the bad thing about most of the hats I saw at the outlet. Greasy fingerprints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy