Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats - tilt to left or right?

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
My hair is kind of long and straight, so when I put my cap on with my right hand, I have to pull my hair back towards the right side of my head so cap can cover it. Therefore its always tilted to the right for me.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I tend to tilt my hats to the right, and I'm right-handed. However, a few of my lids do better at a level -- I'm still working my 2" brim Champ Open Road clone to a better fit, and it fits oddly on the tilt.

Last edited:

Whiterook

New in Town
Hi all, newbee here. I just bought my first Fedora.

I have been experimenting with the tilt. I found this forum and have read the posts. I never expected so many theories on “hat tilt”.

I am right handed, but I think my hat feels best and looks best with a left hand tilt (although so far, the ladies like a right hand tilt better; small sample size there).

And I have looked at some of the famous Fedoras that have popped up in the movies. Bogart always seems to use a right hand tilt, Redford in “The Sting” uses a left hand tilt, also Edward G. Robinson was a leftie.

I have seasons 1 & 2 of the old TV series, “The Untouchables” starring Robert Stack. Man, there are way more Fedoras featured in that series than one could ever count, also Homburgs, too. And I noticed that there is a strong bias in tilting these hats to the right. (Also a strong bias for a diamond bash; and usually very irregular).

But here’s a thought. I asked a friend of mine what he does with “hat tilt”. Like me, he is a shooting enthusiast and he made an interesting comment. He said, “I always tilt my hats (that have a brim) to the left because I am a right handed shooter.” (and right eye dominant). The hat has to be tilted right to avoid hitting the brim with a rifle scope (or the carry handle of a rifle like the AR-15) and to afford the best sight lines for rapid sight acquisition with a shotgun when shooting the clay busting sports.

So, I guess one could argue that tilt high over dominant eye is “the shooter’s tilt”.

And then, just to demolish this theory I noticed a bunch of photos here in the forums of, “Colonel” Jeff Cooper who always seemed to wear his hats with a strong right hand tilt (and he was a right handed shooter!

But this idea works for me and I think I’m gonna’ stick to it.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
But here’s a thought. I asked a friend of mine what he does with “hat tilt”. Like me, he is a shooting enthusiast and he made an interesting comment. He said, “I always tilt my hats (that have a brim) to the left because I am a right handed shooter.” (and right eye dominant). The hat has to be tilted right to avoid hitting the brim with a rifle scope (or the carry handle of a rifle like the AR-15) and to afford the best sight lines for rapid sight acquisition with a shotgun when shooting the clay busting sports.

So, I guess one could argue that tilt high over dominant eye is “the shooter’s tilt”.

With all deference to the good Colonel, I have astigmatism in my left eye and although I am generally left handed I am right eye dominant, shoot right handed, and I also tilt my hat to the left for this reason. I don't shoot competitively anymore but I still tilt my hat to the left for the reasons indicated by your shooting buddy. :D:cool::D

Also, my grandfather tilted his hat to the left... but I didn't actually realize that until after I had started wearing hats regularly, and love the coincidence involved in the question.

As for tilt in general, I have been telling people like my wife and my daughter how to place a hat on your head properly: first, settle the front sweat on your forehead where you want it, then lower the back of the hat into place... then tilt it to the side for attitude. It was sometime later I read Sinatra's quote saying "cock your hat... angles are attitudes."

Yes, & at least where it doesn't look phony.

Hear, hear. When I first started wearing hats, I thought about this a lot. Now I just plop it on my head and pull it down. I tilt to my left because I'm left-handed and put my hat on with my left hand. It seems natural at this point. Can't stand the damn things touching my ears though.

I hate seeing a tilt that makes it look like it's going to fall off, though.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Deckard had a "neat" little vid somewhere abt being right handed where he just touches the brim (thumb and index finger) on the left side over in front of the eye and just gently swoops it down towards the right. Works every time and looks great with just the right amount of tilt.

Is this forced looking? Or just gangsta cool?
Cagney tilt.jpg
Groucho.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I still tend to tilt my hats to my right. However, there are a couple of my lids that fit even better tilted left: the VS Tucker and the new Northwest Hats Colfax. If the wind is kicking up, and i'm wearing one of those two, I snug it down a bit more to the left. Must be something about the shape of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24