Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats with Personality

Lando

Practically Family
New-York-Post-Home-New-sportswriter-Jimmy-Cannon-attending-the-Army-Navy-football-game-836x1024.jpg

I saw this image on a blog and I really liked the way the hat looked. Some hats end up with so much personality infused into them that they almost act as a historical record of the person.
The hat below went with me on a long trip through Thailand. It didn't look like that when the trip started of course. But every time I wear it now, I think of that trip, and all the moments that ended up leaving their crease.
5085027044_8eb55a3910.jpg

I was just curious what hats of yours you think have the most personality, or even just image of hats you've seen that you admire for their personality.

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't know........... I think hats with too much "personality" are equal to trying too hard to have a "personality". If your hat is crooked, fix it. If your hat is dirty, clean it. In the case of the Bruce Willis photo, if your hat doesn't fit, don't wear it.

DRB

One Too Many
I am in agreement Bebop.

Lando, did you have those paintings applied while in Thailand? That most certainly IS a hat with memories and character.

Last edited:

griffer

Practically Family
I have custom bashed every hat I own except my panamas, they get custom bands. My porpie has mud flap girl camo.

I have an old wool felt a hatter ruined trying to clean and reblock. It's my drinking hat.

I am scared of my Art Facett because i havent' had the balls to bash it as much as I want to. I made the teardrop deeper and lower, but damned it it's still too perfect.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not overly concerned with crease or brim symmetry. I've said as much in other threads. I actually think that a hat often looks and feels best when it is handled without fussiness and allowed to conform naturally to the wearer's head. This can result in rough and easy creases and wonky brims. Often times this means that the sweatband seam may not align in the back dead center, or that one side may sit or stand a little higher than the other. The brim may snap down further back on one side than on the other, etc. This is no problem at all as far as I'm concerned. As with any article of clothing, use will cause the hat to conform to the body and become an extension of the (imperfect) individual.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
George Bailey had, if you remember, just come in out of a rainstorm, so the hat in this scene is wet.
Same hat and suit, for that matter, stick with poor ol' George throughout the movie, but they do seem well cared for, to go along with Bebop's comments.
I'm still not sure what to make of Henry Jones' hat, though it certainly seems to take a lot of abuse.
On the other hand .... IT IS ONLY A MOTION PICTURE
In real life, Bebop has an even better point
At the cost and worth of good hats, it seems irresponsible not to take care of them

A little "personality" can easily turn into hat abuse

Sam

Lando

Practically Family
I am in agreement Bebop.

Lando, did you have those paintings applied while in Thailand? That most certainly IS a hat with memories and character.

It was a place where they made umbrellas and then painted them by hand. I took a tour and at one point asked if they could paint on my hat? I have no idea what kind of paint it was, but the old man who did the job did great work and its been there since, through multiple rainstorms, elephants, and much abuse.
5115268671_72e0e33084_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy