Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you ever had a stranger photograph you...when you were dressed vintage?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A couple of years ago, a flamboyant European fellow came by the theatre while I was working and insisted I pose out front for a series of shots -- he said he was working on a book of "Classic America" photos, and had me sign a release so that he could use the pics. And that was the last I heard of it. But if you see someone who looks like me in some glossy coffee table volume someday, that's the story behind it.
Heh. Sounds like the Parisian dudes approaching American tourist gals going, "Ah wood lak to pent yeu. Weel you let me pent yeu?" Except it wasn't in Paris (not even Paris, Maine).

Hmmm, yes. Some dude who was doing an exhibition called "The People of Carnaby Street" took my photo on, surprisingly, Carnaby Street.

I was told by someone who worked in a vintage shop that the picture of me was on a wall being displayed.

An astonishing liberty, if you ask me, to display someone without permission …

bk

Tatum

Practically Family
This happened to me at our neighborhood Easter party. I am very active in my neighborhood, my neighbors all know I love vintage, so of course I went done-up. A friend of a neighbor (total stranger to me) asked if he could get a photo with me, since according to him I looked so perfect, in the historic neighborhood... I replied with, "Only if so-and-so takes one with my camera too!" Thankfully it turned into a group shot ;)

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
This is a funny thread for me, since part of my duties at work is to take photos of strangers all the time. It's a hard balance, because I really hate set-up shots because even if readers don't know they're faked, I KNOW. But at the same time I know how awkward it can be photographed without being asked. I usually *click click*, ask for name & permission, then carry on with my day.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
Hmmm, yes. Some dude who was doing an exhibition called "The People of Carnaby Street" took my photo on, surprisingly, Carnaby Street.

I was told by someone who worked in a vintage shop that the picture of me was on a wall being displayed.

bk

European Law - if you are in a public place (like a street) it's in the public domain you have no privacy in a public place.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I've never been photographed by strangers when I was dressed vintage. When I was younger and used to dye my hair rainbow colors and had and 18" mohawk, I got photographed all the time. Some people even wanted to pose with me. Especially Japanese tourists.

Well, Britain had something similar on the books i believe, before joining Europe so we can't blame them for everything. That doesn't stop it being a liberty, though. Common courtesy, at least, dictates asking the person if you can display them in a gallery …

European Law - if you are in a public place (like a street) it's in the public domain you have no privacy in a public place.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Twice in one day today!!

Charming couple of elderly ladies from Atlanta who came into my shop and were very sweet. I was chuffed to be in the photo gallery on their camera, next to the photos of the Kate and William lookalikes they met in Trafalgar Square before the Royal Wedding. I can just see them showing the album to everyone back home, "There's Kate and William in London and there's that lady with the dead fox round her neck and the funny costume on we met in Rye"!

Second was an equally lovely Japanese lady who also came into my shop. Very polite indeed and also spent loads of wonga which was great.

Btw my shop is a 17th century converted wine cellar so it's the location that really is the lure for the tourists to get snapping as it's very oldey-woldey. I've never got stopped on the street before.

That has only happened to me twice. First time was spring of 1989 I was in Washington DC I was in my dress blues and at the air and space museum. I am guessing there is nothing more vintage than a military uniform in a place like that. Second time I was volunteering with the National Park Service at a revulutionary war battlefield I was dressed in period attire. Dressed like that in a place like that one could expect to have your picture taken by everyone with a camera.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
It's happened a few times, mainly when I have been at 'vintage' events rather than just in the street (although that used to happen years and years ago when I looked more 'alternative'!). It's a bit unnerving when the snaps turn up later on flickr and there you are gurning away, oblivious...

Lily Powers

Practically Family
A woman saw me riding my bicycle out to the wharf and said she followed me in her car because she wanted to take my picture for her bicycle blog. She was very natural with the camera so I wasn't really aware when she snapped the pics while we just chatted about bicycles, my bakelite dress clip, skirt and shoes. I'm not a fan of the front end of the camera, but this was painless and she was really nice and no one's corneas seared when they saw the photo.

Edward

Bartender

Yes and no.... the legal standard is "reasonable expectation of privacy", but this extends to being in a public place in a private capacity and where there is no overriding public interest. It's all been developed in the context of the media, though, rather than private photographers; the position in the latter is unclear.

I haven't had anyone take my picture but I do know that when ever there is some type of event like at the Queen Mary and the group is together, outsiders / strangers will take pictures of the group and various members.

Edward

Bartender
I haven't had anyone take my picture but I do know that when ever there is some type of event like at the Queen Mary and the group is together, outsiders / strangers will take pictures of the group and various members.

I've had that a lot at various thins over the years, both in vintage and at costumed events. I don't know why they don't just ask.... photos taken from fifty feet away on a phone camera can't be up to much....

bk

I would agree. Technically there you would have a case, I think.... though it's expensive and a bother... Legalities aside, it seems to me merely a matter of politeness to ask permission if you are going to put someone's image on public display.

djd

Practically Family
My wife and I dressed vintage for a recent lunch on the Orient Express - a few people took our pictures which was nice

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I don't know why they don't just ask.... photos taken from fifty feet away on a phone camera can't be up to much....

Last weekend I saw a photographer taking pictures of my wife and me on our way to a vintage fair from that distance. But he had a giant lense on his camera (he was there for the Leeds Half Marathon which we went by).

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, this typically takes place during the summer months. Wearing a suit and hat in Des Moines is more than some people can stand. Thus, my picture is taking about 3 times a year, typically downtown.

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
It happens to me quite a lot to be honest.
Once my image even got published in a magazine. I was flattered but also a bit angry because they never approached me to ask if that would be OK with me. Kinda the same thing that happened to Barton Kurtz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou