Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Flat-top -- Thanks for posting the site for the origins of that song, one of my favorites. I will never forget seeing Judy Garland's character sing it to her sad-eyed little sister in Meet Me in St. Louis. It is a sad song, but there is hope for change. For anyone who has ever been blue during the holidays (and I have been), it is a song based in reality.

Other Christmas songs that have been sad: "I'll be home for Christmas," which I remember first hearing when we were fighting in Korea. GI's would sing, "I'll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams."

Also, the most popular modern Christmas song, "White Christmas." Why I recall it with some sadness is that my favorite aunt and uncle moved to California the year that song debuted and they were so homesick and blue out there and were truly dreaming of a white Christmas back in Iowa near everyone they loved.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner