Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Very tasty shirts MB and like the way the boards are laid out on your surfboard shirt. The black/white scheme is unusual too.

Nice pair of shirts MikeBravo.

Keep em comin fellas.

When I figure out how to get pics from my phone to the lounge I'm gonna jump on in

Thanks Mike. Heres my offering for today. Its made out of that weird nylon-ish material swim trunks are made from that dries in about five minutes, in case you get drunk and fall into the pool I guess

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377991732420.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377991732420.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 226

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Very tasty shirts MB and like the way the boards are laid out on your surfboard shirt. The black/white scheme is unusual too.

I'm glad you like them. It is starting to warm up over here in Oz and I am looking forward to getting some wear out of them.

I was pretty happy to find the surfboard one for $8 recently

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Mike. Heres my offering for today. Its made out of that weird nylon-ish material swim trunks are made from that dries in about five minutes, in case you get drunk and fall into the pool I guess

Right, always be prepared.

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Hilo Hatties 100% reverse print cotton, made in Hawaii. Replacement coconut buttons per the seller, don't know what the originals were.

Great print Mike. I think HHs usually come with coconut buttons to start with so who knows whats up. I started out to wear this today, but its just too hot and muggy. Iolani - cotton barkcloth made in Hawaii - old enough to be vintage by some folks standards, but bought new by me back in the 80s

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378065914743.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378065914743.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 206

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Love Hawaiian shirts. More than leather jackets right now! Started with Tommy Bahama, currently obsessed with Sun Surf. Rakuten is a great place to get them for half the price of a new TB when they go on sale.
Today, I also ran into a Jams World shirt I picked up. I was always hesitant about this brand seeing it online (more abstract art vs islander), but it is an excellent quality shirt. Hand painted buttons!

Sun surf make some of th coolest, no doubt about that. Too bad (for me anyway) their sizes are so tiny. An xl fits like a 44" chest or something. The up side is I'm not broke from buying 'em.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
dh66, all I know is I had to have the buttons re-sewn on because half of them were improperly sewn on when I got it. Fortunately my barber/seamstress only charged me $5 to make it right.

nick123 I've gotten all my Hawaiian shirts off Ebay for a considerable discount over new, usually less than $25 delivered. The last new shirt I purchased retail was pre 1990.

Ebay - the worlds largest thrift store. Even if you hate it you gotta love it. Just watch out for the rayon shirts, much like many wool pendletons, they're "reduced" because some one was too broke/lazy/stupid to take them to the cleaners.

btw Mike the triangle buttons on that tiki shirt you posted a while back are the bomb. Thats a fairly swanky looking shirt all around

Oh and Nick123 - have you checked out Avanti shirts? Silk not rayon, but some similar and even the same patterns as sun surf for about half the price

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Oh and Nick123 - have you checked out Avanti shirts? Silk not rayon, but some similar and even the same patterns as sun surf for about half the price

I walked into a thrift store this year that had a dedicated Hawaiian shirt room. I ended up talking to the manager for a bit and I mentioned Sun Surf...he told me that out of all of the repop/modern brands, Avanti shirts were the most beloved amongst aficionados.
Haven't tried one yet...how do they run?

I will say again, on a good day, you can get a new Sun Surf shirt on Rakuten for under $50. I know it's not vintage, but for a new, excellent shirt, I think it's a wonderful value so I've been doing that. In fact, I bought eight of them yesterday (crazy I know)!

PS bigger guys pull them off much better in my opinion.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Ebay - the worlds largest thrift store. Even if you hate it you gotta love it. Just watch out for the rayon shirts, much like many wool pendletons, they're "reduced" because some one was too broke/lazy/stupid to take them to the cleaners.

btw Mike the triangle buttons on that tiki shirt you posted a while back are the bomb. Thats a fairly swanky looking shirt all around

Yeah, it's one of the few Chinese made shirts I own but I gotta say the quality is top notch. I'll hitchhike on your warning about Ebay shirt sizing too and add if the shirts measurements aren't posted, ALWAYS ask before bidding. An improper washing not only will shrink the shirt but give it a stupid drape too. Double your caution when buying Ebay Pendletons.

In fact, I bought eight of them yesterday (crazy I know)!

Look forward to seeing some posts of your new Sun Surfs. BTW, hoarder purchasing is completely normal behavior ;)

Last edited:
Nick123 - I dont have any Avantis (yet) but my wife has a dress made by them, it is really nice, and I have seen a few in person.for what used ones go for on the ebay I'd judge they were indeed beloved by someone.
I have some little people in my house right now who do stuff like wipe icecream or spaghetti (or worse) on big folks so expensive shirts are not on my to do list at the moment

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick123 - I dont have any Avantis (yet) but my wife has a dress made by them, it is really nice, and I have seen a few in person.for what used ones go for on the ebay I'd judge they were indeed beloved by someone.
I have some little people in my house right now who do stuff like wipe icecream or spaghetti (or worse) on big folks so expensive shirts are not on my to do list at the moment

I first quickly read this post when I woke up from my nap (wipes eyes).
Thought you wrote, "It could be worse, I have people over at my house wearing Spaghetti Western shirts. lol

Warbaby

One Too Many
On my thrift shop rounds last week, I found this KY's shirt with some of the best pattern-matching I've ever seen. Not only is the pocket perfectly matched, but the entire front closure and the sleeves are matched as well. Great underwater scene. Coconut buttons, of course.

HawaiianUnderwater.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy