Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

shamus

Suspended
I heard and I could be wrong.. not the first, but Rayon from the 50's is different than Rayon from today. As today's in non-"natural"

any word on that?

Oh, and I do love the shirts. Hawiian, Camp, Bowling... they're all great.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I've heard that there were different variations of rayon, some that were quite flammable, which may be why there is a difference in the rayon used today.

The Sun-Surf vintage replicas feel closer to some of the vintage aloha shirts I've encountered, and the silk Avanti's have that feel as well.

I'm sure cost plays a part in the difference too.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Most of my rayon shirts and trousers are of the type you see in the Hawaiian shirts, but I do have some rayon clothing that is light and almost crinkly. I can wear either. Whatever kind of rayon it is, it breathes.

On the other hand, a lot of women's shirts these days are made of cotton and spandex, so they stretch a bit. Don't know what the ratio is, but I can't wear them, either. My skin feels smothered in them. I have talked to others with sensitive skin and they report the same feeling.

Hawaiian shirts were meant to wear loose, so no problem with them adding spandex. But no poly shirts.

One thing I love about Hawaiian shirts on the guys is that it gives them "permission" to wear bright, beautiful colors. So many men traipse through life wearing brown and gray and dark blue, muted green, etc. The only color I ever see on them is on their ties. Thank god for ties.

karol

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of Polyester- I have a really kool Bowling shirt in Poly.
I know... nasty but it's a beaut- black and white, open weave, pointy collar and loads of monogram. Good for travelling- dries in minutes, doesn't wrinkle at all or stain either- Poly has its uses.

B
T

sandysot

New in Town
Living in Florida, as I have for decades, I've partici-partied hearty in the Hawaiian shirt craze, beginning with the 1950's national shirt shop entries, through the nik-nik nylon and on into the Kahala cotton Hawaiian shirts that still populate my closet.
But I must say that for sheer enjoyment, absolutely nothing in the tropical lines Ive ever worn has given me as much pleasure, or as many public compliments, as the Jams World hawaiian shirts that I got on the cheap from Ebay.
They are so cunningly made that I marvel at the ingenuity of the designers.The shirt buttons may be hand painted with little dots or squiggles in color matching or contrasting the fabric color.The single open top breast pocket is cut from fabric that exactly matches the body of the shirt-so that the design on the pocke fits over the same design on the shirt background and the pocket seems to disappear from view.
They are made from a single layer viscose that allows any breeze to pass through and dry your skin while you wear it.Wash & then almost immediately.
The colors and styles are wide ranging.I prefer the outrageous and uncopied florals. The Bahama patchwork looking shirts are cool too.
Imho Ebay is the way to acquire these beauties.they retail for $75-95 bucks but I far less on Ebay.

Sandy

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Check out Hilo Hatties and Kamehameha Garment Co. on the net. Both are located in Hawaii and offer Aloha shirts and ties in a variety of materials. I have a nice collection from Hilo Hatties and did visit their factory store when in Honolulu. (don't miss it) Prices vary by material used, but their web sites will explain all that plus some history. Any ukulele players out there? I'm a beginner, but what a gas.
Best wishes and Aloha!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Last year I bought one of those cute little Flea ukes, but, so far I have not tried to pick it up to learn anything.

I am taking it back to Iowa with me when I leave here in a couple of months. If I get bored enough back there, maybe I will start learning to play the uke.

Will have to look up those Hawaiian shirts on the net.

karol

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the heads up!

sandysot said:
Living in Florida, as I have for decades, I've partici-partied hearty in the Hawaiian shirt craze, beginning with the 1950's national shirt shop entries, through the nik-nik nylon and on into the Kahala cotton Hawaiian shirts that still populate my closet.
But I must say that for sheer enjoyment, absolutely nothing in the tropical lines Ive ever worn has given me as much pleasure, or as many public compliments, as the Jams World hawaiian shirts that I got on the cheap from Ebay.
They are so cunningly made that I marvel at the ingenuity of the designers.The shirt buttons may be hand painted with little dots or squiggles in color matching or contrasting the fabric color.The single open top breast pocket is cut from fabric that exactly matches the body of the shirt-so that the design on the pocke fits over the same design on the shirt background and the pocket seems to disappear from view.
They are made from a single layer viscose that allows any breeze to pass through and dry your skin while you wear it.Wash & then almost immediately.
The colors and styles are wide ranging.I prefer the outrageous and uncopied florals. The Bahama patchwork looking shirts are cool too.
Imho Ebay is the way to acquire these beauties.they retail for $75-95 bucks but I far less on Ebay.

Sandy

I have a few I'm watching now. These are the nicest shirts I've seen.
Thanks,

Sharpey :)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Apart from originals, the Japanese repro ones and the Avanti ones are the nicest I've seen-
The Jap ones are exact copies of '40s and '50s styles and prints and some of the Avanti ones are also very, very good copies. Apart from these two sources, the rest I've seen, including eBay are quite unconvincing and too modern lookingn to me- small collars, modern prints and other faults.
But if you're not looking for vintage style ones, then there are many sources.

Here are my faves:

'Sun Surf' from Japan-

http://www.rivet-jp.com/store/wear/new/shirts/aloha/sunsurf_2005.html

http://www.rivet-jp.com/store/wear/new/shirts/aloha/sunsurf_2004.html

...and Avanti- reasonably priced and goos quality vintage copies-
http://www.avantishirts.com/jsp/product_list.jsp?categoryid=3&start=9

B
T

Hawaiian shirts? Got a closet full. Thanks for this thread and the history. I am wearing my Hilo Hattie black and wood grain one with all kinds of Hawaiiana on it. I got this one in Vegas. Yes, Hilo Hattie has a store in Vegas on the strip. I think it is in the Aladdin or one of those hotels that are all linked together.
My favorites tend to be Iolani's. I have a few of the others as well though. The bark cloth shirts are getting tougher to find now. I still even have the shirt my father got on his honeymoon in Hawaii. It has the coin buttons and Hibiscus with a brown background.
My area of collecting them centers on the shirts with ladies on them. ;) It just adds something. :p

Regards to all,

J

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Occasionally some makers here and there will do a nice repro.

http://www.kilaueaclothing.com/

Does a nice rayon copy of the "From Here To Eternity" shirt, with a proper large collar.
I picked up one of the dark "Eternity" shirts and I was very happy with it, though I wish one of the makers would do it in Black instead of dark navy blue, like they all seem to copy.

Once in awhile "Pineapple Juice" or "Go Bearfoot" will do a vintage copy that doesn't look too bad, and "Kahala" has done like "Sun-Surf", doing a very pricey ($250.00) run of a couple of vintage originals like the tree climber and lei lady etc.

I quit chasing originals, when even the second hand shops got wise to aloha shirts, the Avanti repros are the best buy for the money, since they have the right collars, and the right feel, with the crepe de chine silk fabric.

Gil Man

New in Town
Would you happen to know if those kilauea clothing "From Here to Eternity" shirts run big in size?
I do agree the Avanti shirts are decent priced for a nice repro.!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I have both Avanti's and Kilauea's "Eternity" shirts, and I'd say they are very close in size.

I'd like to see both do the shirt in Black, instead of Navy. (From what I understand the Montgomery Clift shirt was black.)

"Pineapple Juice" did a repro of "Eternity" in Black some years ago, but when I found out about it, it had already sold out, I haven't seen any of their shirts online in awhile, so I wonder if they are still around.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
.95cents

According to alohafunwear:
The term "aloha shirt" may have started as street slang in the early 1930s to describe the growing number of shirts featuring Oriental and Hawaiian designs that were being produced by Honolulu tailors. Musa-Shiya, the Shirtmaker first advertised the "aloha shirt" in the Honolulu Advertiser on June 28, 1935: "Honolulu's Noted Shirt Maker and Kimono Shop. 'Aloha' shirts - well tailored, beautiful designs and radiant colors. Ready-made or made to order…95 cents up." By another account, an advertising salesperson from the Honolulu Advertiser and Ellery Chun, the owner of the King-Smith dry goods store, first coined the term "aloha shirt." In fact Mr. Chun officially registered a trademark for his Aloha sportswear on July 15, 1936.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Truman was a Haberdasher

Don't know if you all know that Harry Truman besides being President (and liking Hawaiian shirts) was also a haberdasher, although unsucessful, seems he went bankrupt and it took him 15 years to clear his debt & his name (today the courts forgive you).

Here is Truman story I found. Seems like there was a shirt manufacturer who used to sell shirts to Harry S Truman when he was a haberdasher. The manufacturer once visited the White House while Truman was President and, moving in line, shook the President's hand, saying, 'I made your shirts.' 'Truman replied, "Major Schurtz, 'I'm glad to meet you!'"

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bwuahahaha!

Aquia33 said:
Here is Truman story I found. Seems like there was a shirt manufacturer who used to sell shirts to Harry S Truman when he was a haberdasher. The manufacturer once visited the White House while Truman was President and, moving in line, shook the President's hand, saying, 'I made your shirts.' 'Truman replied, "Major Schurtz, 'I'm glad to meet you!'"

I have added that one to my collection, thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points