Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Unfortunately mine is broad shoulders, (And quite tall) and I'm not willing to have someone saw down my bones.

I like watching the feeding frenzy when something really rare comes up, then again, some of the well heeled big collectors can't live forever, and I doubt their heirs are going to let them take it with them like the Pharaohs.;) (Which didn't work that well for them eitherlol )

Magus

Practically Family
Custom made H. Miura

This is a picture of me snapped by my daughter earlier today. I had this shirt custom made at the H. Miura store in Haleiwa, Hi when I was there last in 2003 for $45. The family has been tailoring clothes since 1912. No assembly line just a tailor and a very old sewing machine...he measured me, notated my numbers by hand in a notebook and told me to pick out a cloth and the style of buttons. 2 months after I got home there it was in the mail one day. I went with a kimono style cloth as my understanding is that some of the first ones were made from kimono lining and I wanted that association. It might be of interest to note that there is an external pocket on my left breast, but the material is so perfectly matched that you don't see it.

I searched to share a website with everyone and found this sad news...

"Industry News Hale'iwa store, in business since 1912, closes its doors..."

http://www.globalsurfnews.com/news.asp?Id_news=19468

and...hmmmm...do I stop wearing it....or? lol

Enjoy,
M

STA70001.JPG

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Magus,

I was excited when I saw your post, and then sad when I saw the shop had gone out of business. We're going to Hawaii on vacation soon and I thought that would have been too cool to have a custom aloha shirt made by them.

Too late!:(

dr greg

One Too Many
the cost of authenticity

Another problem with top shelf old aloha shirts is when to wear them, you can't put them on if you're going where
a: red wine will be swilled and spilled
b: drunken chainsmoking clowns abound
c: fights are frequent
D: all of the above
which sort of eliminates most places I go to work.
Anywhere serving Sri Lankan beetroot curries should likewise merit a repro or knockabout shirt.

Magus

Practically Family
Sorry gang...I really wasn't trying to lead you on....though reading the post now it does seem that way. :eek: If you are on the North shore of Oahu (and if you go to Oahu....you MUST go there. Ask...for the store by name...who knows?

This is TOTALLY :eek:fftopic: but if you are going there stop into Surf n Sea surf shop...its the oldest on the north shore and the only place in the world (not kidding) where you can get these 70's looking beach sandles...that have an amazing quality (besides lasting for 10+years). You can walk in soft sand without sinking...and WITHOUT having sand flip up the back of your legs/shorts.

Here is a link to them:

http://store.surfnsea.com/browse.cfm/4,79.htm

M

Mike K.

One Too Many
Nice shirts everyone! It's always fun to see other aloha collections. Has anyone encountered the Paradise Found "jungle bird" pattern in yellow? It is the same print as the red Magnum PI shirt. I owned one years ago but sadly it was accidentally ruined. I've been on the lookout for another yellow one in size medium or large if anybody should know of one.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't go for repro. all mine are relatively new.
For me, a good hawaiian shirt should be loud enough to make my friends deaf (ora at least blind).

SGB

One of the Regulars
I have about 200 Hawaiian shirts, some vintage, most new repro style. I wear the new repros daily as I save the vintage originals for special occassions. Except for a couple of months a year, I wear Hawaiian shirts out everyday here in stinkin' hot AZ. I get to Hawaii often enough so I'm always adding to the stash. Are there any custom makers still in Hawaii? I'd like to get one made when I'm there in Oct.
Has anybody been to Bailey's Antiques over there? Some real nice vintage shirts for sale, real pricey, plus new ones and lots of other neat vintage stuff.

SGB

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
How can you tell a vintage pattern from a modern pattern? For that matter, how can you tell a vintage shirt from a modern shirt? I wouldn't mind a modern repro for many of the reasons mentioned above (i.e. drunk guys with cigars), but I like a period accurate pattern. Was rayon used in the 30s and 40s, or were those all silk or cotton?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Avanti!

These are the best looking Hawaiian shirts out there! They do the best job on reproducing 40's Hawaiian shirts! I need to get one!

palmherringbonesilk_big.jpg

AV1103beige_big.jpg

I think they do the best work! Most are $60 bucks which is a drop in the bucket considering an original will sell for $500+! They even have some with long sleeves! I couldn't find a good photo of one but, I know they make them! I'd want one with long sleeves my self!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner