Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah right! haha well you guys are really making me want a koi shirt, seven weeks to go 'til the family and I
are in Hawaii, where I'll be trawling the stores for some good koi prints!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Enjoy your trip Benny !

Mike has been giving me guidance on some shirts
ill post when they arrive

meanwhile Moco is sporting a repop Avanti
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv353%3B%3Dot%3E7%3A77%3D487%3D34%3B%3DXROQDF%3E2855%3A%3A545525%3Aot1lsi

Straw hat is a BeeCool vented

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
The koinobori (kite) one?
I study that site like a kid studies the Sears catalog at Christmas time (or used to any way). There's half a dozen I'd buy tomorrow, but there's about that many kids at my house that are always hungry. One day......

You nailed it Dale. Blew my shirt budget for several months though but couldn't resist.

BH, good for you and good luck hunting. Be sure you check out Baily's Antiques in Honolulu if you can. I've never been there but if I ever get back to Hawaii that would be at the top of my list: http://alohashirts.com/

Too kool Che! Moco is ruling the daycare crowd!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ah right! haha well you guys are really making me want a koi shirt, seven weeks to go 'til the family and I
are in Hawaii, where I'll be trawling the stores for some good koi prints!

You lucky bugger Wes!

Have fun mate, and a very, very good excuse to pick up a few Hawaiian shirts ;)

Good choice Mike!! Been eyeballing that one a lot myself.

Che - that kid's got more style than most guys 10 times his age. You are a good granddad.

Benny H....have fun in Hawaii!!! Safe travels.

Benny Holiday

Thanks gents, it's only taken the Missus and I 15 years to get back to Hawaii! We're really looking forward to it. Many thanks for the tip on Baily's Mike! I'll be there!

Wow Che, style is in the genes man! Moco has the look nailed.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Why didn't I just follow my gut instinct? This particular pattern appealed to me no end, but, knowing that my wife had so much sewing to do, I left it. Now, when I come to order it, they are sold out.

If any lounger comes across this material in their neck of the wood, please, either post it here, or pm me. Will I ever learn?
Hawaiian.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Certainly is a vibrant print GHT

I found my new Avanti on the porch yesterday in a box that suggested sunglasses not a shirt. Direct from Avanti in Hawaii it was shipped via UPS Ground(?) which I assume meant a row boat judging by the transit time and labor charge. Certainly raises my average cost per shirt purchasing new. At any rate I'm stoked about the shirt despite my bad experience with my previous used Avanti. This is called Kite of Koi and is 100% silk, made in China, loop collar, pleated back, and coconut buttons. Pardon the wrinkles, needs a press before wear.

Fantastic!!!! The detail is amazing. How's the quality of the fabric in comparison with the other one?
I try not to let envy play too much a part in my life, but.....

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Dale. To be honest it feels the same as my used one but hope springs eternal this one will hold up better. If feel is the only consideration though, tough to beat this silk in that regard.

Garrett

Mike, do you have one of the originals from back in the day? Was hoping to see an example of the hand printing from that era

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I don't Garrett, those shirts are prized by collectors and the prices reflect it. Beyond my pay grade if you know what I mean. Hope to stumble on one one day though. I've only seen them in books and auction photos.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
It's good to have friends on the Lounge. This was gifted to me by one who was having too much fun at an antique fair. My life is full of Avanti lately and I'm not complaining. According to lore, Aloha shirts were hugely popular with tourists departing the Matson cruise lines from California, shirts were usually the first island purchase. Matson also owned the SurfRider and Princess Kaiulani Hotels on Waikiki. This shirt depicts an arriving cruise ship, welcoming committee on the beach complete with hula girls, palm trees and Diamond Head in the background. Fresh from the gentle cycle and still wet:

Thank you Che!

Last edited:

Benny Holiday

That's a sweet print Mike. The colours are glorious.

Just saw your shirt Dale and it jogged my memory that Elvis did a couple of big concerts filmed in Hawaii back in the 70s. Very appropriate! Weird to think that he'd be 79 were he still with us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy