Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT I'm in central Alabama. Birmingham to narrow it down.
There's an lifelong friend of mine who lives and works in Savannah GA. She's a university lecturer, one of her fellow lecturers comes from Montgomery. One year when visiting he invited us all for a meal out, it was my first visit to Alabama, I just loved the accent.
I remember when the waiter brought the wine menu he made the word wine, sound like a sentence.
Mind you, it works both ways, I pronounce the letter 'A' in words like class or pass differently to most Americans, I give the A more of an ah sound. So many thought that this had, as the waiter said, a ring of culture about it. Me! Cultured, ha!

This weekend our small Island has gone sport crazy. We are half way through the tennis tournament at Wimbledon, England have a game of football today, in the world cup and it's formula one week end at Silverstone. So if you are visiting or just reside here, now's the time to get out and about, the roads are deserted. I've been to a Wimbledon final and a Formula One meeting at Silverstone, football has never appealed to me, ironic that I should have bought a retired professional footballer's house. This is soccer football by the way.

Here's a digression seeing how it's world cup time. Where does the word soccer come from? When William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran with it he wasn't breaking any known rules at that time. Those who agreed with Ellis formed Rugby Football and those who argued that football should be played with the feet not the hands formed Associated Football. The abbreviation for associated is "Assoc." from which soccer is derived. So now you know.

Like my choice of street cars, I like my racing cars vintage, just something intangible about them.

Aloha 161.JPG

@GHT, Savannah is one of my favorite places and I'm glad to know you've made it to Bama before. I had a great-aunt who taught English at a USAF base in England for twenty five years. Too bad she couldn't spread that Southern accent across the country during her time there. We would have to retrain her every summer when she came home during the school break.

You just taught me more about soccer than I ever wanted to know. The game is quite popular here, in this part of the state due to all the global transplants.

Great hat and shirt, G.

@GHT, Savannah is one of my favorite places and I'm glad to know you've made it to Bama before. I had a great-aunt who taught English at a USAF base in England for twenty five years. Too bad she couldn't spread that Southern accent across the country during her time there. We would have to retrain her every summer when she came home during the school break.

You just taught me more about soccer than I ever wanted to know. The game is quite popular here, in this part of the state due to all the global transplants.

Great hat and shirt, G.

I think soccer is a great sport that I want nothing to do with. I tried when my kids were playing, but I just can’t even fake interest in it now. At the risk of getting lynched, I also have zero interest in baseball i.e. the slowest sport in the world where “athletes” get out of breath running 90 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I think soccer is a great sport that I want nothing to do with. I tried when my kids were playing, but I just can’t even fake interest in it now. At the risk of getting lynched, I also have zero interest in baseball i.e. the slowest sport in the world where “athletes” get out of breath running 90 feet.
You are not alone in having no interest in football, despite it's worldwide appeal there's many for whom it's nothing more than a money go round. Out of interest I looked up the game of American Football and wasn't at all surprised that it grew out of both soccer and rugby football. Did you know that the Irish have a contact sport that's known as Gaelic Football? And The Australians also have something similar known simply as Aussie Rules. Both games take some describing, if you are interested, just put the respective games into a search.

Great hat and shirt, G.
What a coincidence, my friend in Savannah is actually an old schoolfriend. She met, and subsequently married, an American soldier whom she met at a Big Band dance at a US airbase here in the UK. Did I say soldier? He's a one star Surgeon General, or was until he retired. He's also a golf fanatic. They live right on the famous Moon River.

Today we are having lunch out with a group of friends, we shall be dining at a rather ye olde worlde kind of place. it's a thatched roof pub come restaurant, gastro pubs are what we call them. Putting on best bib & tucker for the initial meet, but no doubt the formal shirt will give way to something more in keeping with the weather. Look closely at the bow tie, now look at the shirt that I intend to change into. Clever girl is my talented lady.
Hats 036.JPG
shirts 145.JPG

Like many Americans I trace my genealogy back to the British Isles. Despite being educated and informed I still like to imagine that all of the UK is comprised of gentleman such as yourself. Class, style, dignity, and tradition! You exemplify what I want the world to be even though I also enjoy it as it is; warts and all. And now I feel like I need to buy a couple bow ties (all I currently have are black for dinner attire).

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
And now I feel like I need to buy a couple bow ties (all I currently have are black for dinner attire).
Thank you for such a generous compliment, it's one of those curiosities of history that the people of one small Island can have distant relatives all around the globe. Americans don't tend to travel as much as Europeans do, but you should make the journey just once, spend a day or two visiting the sights of London before catching the train to Paris. You would love it.
Your country is so varied it's always a delight to visit, but much as I enjoy my stay, I do like to come home.
Now, about those bow ties, while you are out shopping for them, or maybe online searching for them, don't forget, every gentleman needs at least one cravat, it's the best attire to wear when enjoying a cold beer, at the bar, on a Sunday lunchtime.
hats 039.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 and Basketball too. Not a sports guy I'm afraid.

psklenar

One of the Regulars
GHT I'm in central Alabama. Birmingham to narrow it down. ...

I'll be coming down there to bring my dad down to visit my uncle while there's still a chance his brother will recognize him (the Alzheimer's is getting work faster) the first weekend of August. It'll be my first time down there, anything I should try to checkout or see besides my aunt, uncle and cousins? :)

pat----

I'll be coming down there to bring my dad down to visit my uncle while there's still a chance his brother will recognize him (the Alzheimer's is getting work faster) the first weekend of August. It'll be my first time down there, anything I should try to checkout or see besides my aunt, uncle and cousins? :)

pat----
As a first time visitor I guess you'd be obliged to visit the Vulcan. There's a great view of the city and the small museum in the park has a lot about the early industrial history of the area. It's pretty centrally located and not stupid expensive, and as about a Birmingham thing to do as there is. If you do make it there, be sure to check out the Sloss Furnace while you're downtown. It's free admission, and well worth the price. If you're into nature or hiking, the city is home to both the 2nd and 3rd largest municipal nature preserves in the country. Central Park in N.Y. is the largest. Red Mountain and Ruffner Mountain here are the next two. Even a passing interest in vintage motorcycles merits a visit to the Barber Museum. It's a world class collection, and there's vintage cars there, too. You could easily kill a few days seeing what there is to see here, and I'm sure you're people will have some good suggestions, too. Whatever you decide, be sure to wear your straw hat and Hawaiian shirts. We have a pretty long season for them here, and August is pretty much the peak of it. Temps will be well into the 90s by then and dont be surprised by triple digits. Travel safely and try to stay cool.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

psklenar

One of the Regulars
Yes, I'll be wearing my Mayser Panama and I'll have 2-3 Hawaiian shirts with me. :) I hadn't planned on it, but I'm now going to be taking a dress shirt, tie and my jacket too because my aunt wants to take dad & I to their country club for dinner Saturday night.

Vulcan, eh? My uncle retired from a company called Vulcan Materials down there. I had no idea it was such a popular name in the region! :eek: The park looks nice. I may run off on my own for part of a day and check it out. Thank you!!

pat----

Last edited:
Yes, I'll be wearing my Mayser Panama and I'll 2-3 Hawaiian shirts with me. :) I hadn't planned on it, but I'm now going to be taking a dress shirt, tie and my jacket too because my aunt wants to take dad & I to their country club for dinner Saturday night.

Vulcan, eh? My uncle retired from a company called Vulcan Materials down there. I had no idea it was such a popular name in the region! :eek: The park looks nice. I may run off on my own for part of a day anc check it out. Thank you!!

pat----
Hope you have a great trip...and more importantly I hope your dad and uncle have a great visit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Intellect? Me? Hah! Intelligence to me, is like underwear. It is important that you have it, but not necessary that you show it off. When I had one of those Mensa tests my IQ came back negative. Scientists say the universe is made up of Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons. They forgot to mention Morons, and of course artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Ha ha GHT!
Outstanding!!
I gotta frame this!
Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21