Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The weather has been so wet and wintry of late that it was a real pleasure to see the sun shining today. A cold winter's day, but sunny and bright. Donning a straw hat might have been a tad optimistic, but it does go so well with my new Christmas gift, the shirt that has yet to lose it's novelty appeal.
wedding dress 005.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Spring is almost here, I can taste it!
That's true, but it does feel like two paces back for everyone forward. Today started off bright and sunny, if a little cold. But it was warm enough for a summer shirt and blazer. Standing in the queue at the supermarket, (I bought toilet rolls, impressed huh?) Where was I, in the queue at the supermarket, the sun disappeared. The queue took almost an hour to reach the store, I was freezing.

Put on a brave face, bought everything on my list except bleach and liquid soap. I even had a couple of compliments about the Panama, which for this thread should be a fedora. Later, I took a stroll to post a couple of letters. Yep, real, hand written letters in ink, written by a fountain pen. On the way back the sun reappeared, it's Hawaiian shirt weather after all.
shirt and blazer 001.JPG

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, started the same way here. Nice and sunny, green grass shining in the sunlight... then about an hour ago the sun went away and hasn't come back out yet.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Zombie is right Bill, it's a great combination. That fabric is called bird of paradise, sold by Alexander Henry, they have a UK outlet where my missus bought three and a half yards. The overall pattern is the same as your's but the colour combination is different. They do various combinations of colour, this one, like your's is on a black background but the pattern is a different colour.
shirts 154.JPG shirts 155.JPG
Look closely at the enlarged picture, can you make out the breast pocket? My missus makes all the panels line up but it does create more waste material, however she has a way of dealing with that too:
sunhat.jpg

Your hat is very impressive, I have been toying with the idea of either a Panama or maybe a Boater. I just can't make up my mind but once our shops re-open I shall go and try them on and then decide. This style is known as 'Colonial,' it has the same centre rib as your's although the style differs: I think I like it, what I mean is, I like it in the photo, whether it looks as good on my head remains to be seen.

panama hat.1.jpg panama hat.2.jpg panama hat.jpg

Zombie is right Bill, it's a great combination. That fabric is called bird of paradise, sold by Alexander Henry, they have a UK outlet where my missus bought three and a half yards. The overall pattern is the same as your's but the colour combination is different. They do various combinations of colour, this one, like your's is on a black background but the pattern is a different colour.
View attachment 231315 View attachment 231316
Look closely at the enlarged picture, can you make out the breast pocket? My missus makes all the panels line up but it does create more waste material, however she has a way of dealing with that too:
View attachment 231317

Your hat is very impressive, I have been toying with the idea of either a Panama or maybe a Boater. I just can't make up my mind but once our shops re-open I shall go and try them on and then decide. This style is known as 'Colonial,' it has the same centre rib as your's although the style differs: I think I like it, what I mean is, I like it in the photo, whether it looks as good on my head remains to be seen.

View attachment 231318 View attachment 231319 View attachment 231320

This style of Panama hat is what we call an Optimo, which isn’t to be confused with some of the hatters who use that name for their businesses. I’ve avoided that style in the past, but lately it’s started to grow on me.

The Shoe

One Too Many
This style of Panama hat is what we call an Optimo, which isn’t to be confused with some of the hatters who use that name for their businesses. I’ve avoided that style in the past, but lately it’s started to grow on me.
Is there a difference between the Colonial style and the Optimo, or are they different names for the same thing? All I know is that all of the hats with the centre rib at panamahatmall.com are known as Colonial.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Classic hats and shirts, gents. Looking great, Bill.
I have yet to break out one of my aloha shirts this season. Is there an archetype or historic character who started the Hawaiian Shirt with a Fedora style? It kinda seems like something that may have started with a 1940s or 1950s detective, but I’m at a loss to identify who that might be. Share images or links if you got ‘em. Mahalo.

Tukwila

Is there a difference between the Colonial style and the Optimo, or are they different names for the same thing? All I know is that all of the hats with the centre rib at panamahatmall.com are known as Colonial.
Visits to Cuenca, Ecuador, and the Homero Ortega hat factory shows that they, and others, use both terms to describe the same hat.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Is there an archetype or historic character who started the Hawaiian Shirt with a Fedora style? It kinda seems like something that may have started with a 1940s or 1950s detective, but I’m at a loss to identify who that might be. Share images or links if you got ‘em. Mahalo.
That's a good question, Who invented the aloha shirt? It has been contended that the Aloha shirt was devised in the early 1930's by Chinese merchant Ellery Chun of "King-Smith Clothiers and Dry Goods Store," in Waikiki.

The Fedora had been around for about four decades by then. The word fedora comes from the title of an 1882 play by dramatist Victorien Sardou, "Fédora," written for Sarah Bernhardt. The play was first performed in the United States in 1889. Bernhardt played Princess Fédora, the heroine of the play. During the play, Bernhardt wore a centre-creased, soft brimmed hat.

The hat became a fashion icon for women and the women’s rights movement adopted it as a symbol. It wasn't until Prince Edward of Britain started wearing them in 1924, that it became popular among men for its stylishness and its ability to protect the wearer’s head from the wind and weather.

It can be argued that the height of the fedora’s popularity was from the mid-1920's, which is why it is often associated with Prohibition and gangsters.

The Hawaiian shirt, originally called the Aloha Shirt, became immensely popular when U.S Servicemen returned from Hawaii after World War II. ... No matter how they started, they blossomed in the 50s as air travel boomed to Hawaii and the shirts became a standard souvenir for tourists returning to the mainland. Then post war noir films gave fedora hats a fresh impetus and a lasting popularity right up to the end of the 1950's, by which time informal clothing became more accepted.

The Aloha shirt and the Fedora hat feature in many movies and made for TV films, but I can't find any sort of Bond character, that was a superhero of the day, that wore both as a unique style.

You might like this link https://www.complex.com/style/2015/08/the-greatest-hawaiian-shirts-in-pop-culture-history/ it's written by, Brenden Gallagher who is a freelance writer and filmmaker in Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Bill Hughes

View attachment 231317

Yes. The way your wife camouflages the pocket with the rest of the shirt a very nice touch. I now have six shirts. One of the things required is the pocket blended in with the rest of the material. Your shirts are the standard we all try to achieve.

Bill Hughes

View attachment 231318 View attachment 231319 View attachment 231320

This is the only optimo/colonial style I have. And I must admit it will probably remain the only one I have in my collection. I don't dislike it and it does look good but I prefer a classic fedora style.

Actually I have two others - both Montecristi. One I sent to Art to be re-blocked into a more classic fedora. These are some of the before and after shots.

9837FDC2-500C-48D9-BFE0-57026021A0D5.jpeg B6A8BA16-45C9-454A-A278-4A5F10505950.jpeg E9445983-47BD-4C54-B537-6D45C9AC7927_1_105_c.jpeg 442D9E0F-7549-4D8E-81FF-6680AC6A06F1_1_105_c.jpeg

This is the Montecristi that Mike Miller is re-blocking. I bought it from Art after his retirement. It will be re-blocked into a more classic style fedora but leave the ridge on top. The ribbon treatment will also be changed.
48D2CE75-143B-401A-8BBA-BD6174F589AE.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112