Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Chasseur said:
Well I guess since I'm in Hawaii I got to post a photo on this thread... Truth be told I'm not a big fan of Hawaiian/Aloha shirts, but I do own a few...

El cheapo Aloha shirt, rumpled khakis, with an Art Fawcett blocked panama from Panama Bob!

My local version of Mark Twain's "I don't give a damn suit".

363621538.jpg

Chasseur...That's a very cool, relaxed look.:eusa_clap
Bob...Great look! Kao and Jimmy....I never realized you two were twins!:eek: :D

Goose.

Practically Family
Oh, so much to say for all the kind words and cool art called aloha shirts...

CJ and Carter...Martin Backpacker, or Martini Drinkin' Backpacker...too cool. My problem is that I can't do either. One just sounds crummy when I play it and the other gives me a headache.

And JtL, that JAKE DA BOMB BRAH!!!! How cool to be here and see a reference to him. I recall learning about him when he was with "Pure Heart" when I used to go to the Big Island. Went back later and heard that the group was no more. Then learned that Jake was still at it. The guy is amazing. I love that "While My Ukulele Gently Weeps"...thanks for reminding me of it...gotta find a download for my iPhone now! Here's another version of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

You gents that haven't looked at the link from JtL...you have to check this guy (genius) out.

Chasseur, yeah, when I was a kid there on the rock, I didn't wear those shirts too much. But as I got older, I find the patterns diffuse the shape of my gut a bit better than a t-shirt alone ;) HEY! Where in Hawai'i are you?

BobC...why didn't you like the Capricorn at first? Just curious as it looks quite good on you.

KaoSharper and JtL...too funny about the same shirt. Call each other before you go out to a luau or peeps will think you're with the band. I was at a Y2K party at the Hapuna Prince and three of us were in the same shirt. What a hoot...have that pic somewhere.

Carter, I like those pics of you with flowers. Kine bring out da sensitive side.

Bart, no mug in the pic. Are you growing back that 'stache ;)

rrog...always nice to see your keiki pics. Cool hat too!

OK, my turn; Reyn again. This one I like because I recall when I lived near Salt Lake (Oahu), there was a bluff where I could see the Matson ships coming in to Sand Island. They were cargo, but still had the Matson stacks.
And, I walked the stairs of the Aloha Tower with a buddy...it was abandoned and run down. Found a door that was open so we snuck in. Now I hear that the area is a tourist mall or shops.

Hey! And here's little Goose wearing a Capricorn on picture day lol

531543690_WtwRe-M-1.jpg
531403111_hSiv8-S.jpg
531543623_MaVwE-S.jpg

Thanks to those of you that read the long post, and regrets to others for filling up your screen. Haven't been doing well and pretty much down the past few days.
Aloha...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Well, Goose -- here's sending some aloha your way. :) Hope things go well.

Somehow, I just knew you would be hip to Jake. Watching him play is just a spiritual experience.

Really like the scene on that Reyn shirt. The Matson Line, the Aloha Tower -- great images!

Yeah, kaosharper and I need to be careful about not looking like we're in the band (funny comment!). That is one of my all time favorite Reyn patterns, though -- "Trans-Pacific 40's." It depicts period promotional posters for the Pan Am Clipper. Very cool.

What I generally like about the Reyn patterns is that they are limited editions, therefore minimizing the potential for luau embarrassment! :D There are a few patterns that are offered on an unlimited basis though, and Trans-Pacific 40's is one of them.

Almost forgot -- I love the "little Goose" shot. You had the look goin' early! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hey Goose, I'm sorry to read that you've not been feeling too well lately. I'm sending good vibes your way and hope you're feeling better soon.

Here's a link to the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain doing a cover of the theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I posted this on one of the western threads but you might enjoy hearing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gp7B8WC4Q

I have a whole bunch of Reyn Spooner shirts. I was initially turned on to them by a real estate agent on my 1st trip to Oahu. I promptly made a beeline to the Reyn Store at the Ala Moana Shopping Center and bought three or four Hawaiian Classics. I've been collecting them over the years since then.

That's a great picture of little Goose in his Capricorn.

Keep those Aloha shirts comin' guys! :)

Mahalo nui loa.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Hey Goose, that almost looks like the same hat.... :eek:

You must have a mighty good stretcher and are very talented with it.... :D

I wish I could say I started that young with my hats.......

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK, Goose, here's something to lift your spirits -- photos taken at the Waimea Brewing Company on Kauai. :cheers1: Great beer, great view of the coconut grove at sunset. I love this place. ;)

Waimea2.jpg

Waimea3.jpg

WaimeaPalms.jpg

Oh, yeah -- and then there's this guy...:D

Waimea1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, Goose. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling up to snuff. Hope you get around that real soon.

When I got the Capricorn I thought it looked like a shiny, plastic hat. But now that I've worn it some I like it a lot better. I can't see the material very well when it's sitting on my noggin, and when I'm driving around the breeze blows though the hat real nicely. Plus some of the shiny is wearing off now and from a distance you can't really tell it's plastic at all.

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey Jimmy tL…thanks! GREAT pics and thoughtful of you.
Below is a pic of “luau embrassment” HA HA! Was at the Y2K gig at the Hapuna Prince…and two other gents were in the same shirt. Reyn Hawaiian flag with Nene (Goose). What a hoot. I pasted in my Capricorn for grins…while Clint (I think that was his name had a fedora, I was wearing goofy New Year’s garb...had my BBB Panama in the room).

And, I keep looking at those pics of the ‘nut grove. Is that where they did the Blue Hawai’i? Only been to Kauai one time…what a beautiful and laid back island. Great shirt and lid in that pic too.

Ok Carter…I had seen the CDs of the UOGB and thought two things…”UK?” “Ukulele?”. To me, that was like using the two words “UK” and “Cuisine” as a compound phrase. So, I never gve them a listen. BUT, I checked out that URL you linked and gotta tell ya…got da kind chicken skin (goose bumps)…put it on the external speakers. Bookmarked. Cool.

Chasseur, I spent second grade inWest Oahu…I think. When I was a kid we called it “Ewa Side”? Waipahu. Actually, went to three second grades…Jefferson (by da zoo), Waipahu, and then Aliamanu…and, no, I didn’t flunk…just moved.
Kine neat that your family is FBI (From Big Island). My favorite…was going to retire Waimea (Kamuela) wet side a few years ago. But now broke.

BobC, yeah I hear ya about the Capricorn. But, the more I wear it, the more I like it.
Today, in fact, was a Capricorn day for me. Or is it a “Kayman”??? Check out this link to see what I mean; http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=793670&postcount=106

Thanks BobC, JtL, and Carter for the aloha! Doing well.
And thanks to all for the smiles regarding that “little Goose” pic…had to put a lid on that pic to keep it thread related ;)
OG, if you wear it all the time, no stretcher needed ;)
You guys do know I pasted that in I hope…certainly would not want to deceive any here…just a grin.

Not as cool as the coconut grove pics, but here is a pic from the Big Island of the last sunset of the century (31 DEC 1999) in the US.

532254660_2YKT8-M-1.jpg

532252326_fkBXj-L.jpg
532252279_kmi3M-M.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Colby!

Goose, I love Waimea as well. Beautiful place! Much prettier than the Ewa plain I live on now... Yeah I bought my brother one of those FBI shirts :D

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Chasseur said:
Hi Goose,

I live in West Oahu, but my familly comes from the Big Island.

Big Island? As in Laupahoehoe, Honokaa, Hakalau and the entire Hamakua Coast? My family is from the Big
Island. I was in Vegas last week and I watching the Rat Pack Show, there was an elderly Japanese couple at my table and the husband was from Hakakau.

Hey Goose, I'm over here in the East Bay, maybe one Saturday we can hit up some grinds at one of the L&L Drive-Ins, talk story, and eat a plate lunch or bento???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran