Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headed to CHICAGO for a couple days . . .

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
. . . and looking for suggestions from my fellow Loungers on what to see and do while there besides the typical tourist fair. Places that would be of particular interest to the Fedora Lounge crowd.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I haven't tried, but its my understanding that Mayor Daley the first had all of Capone's places torn down to avoid the bad publicity. It might be worth a search online though. I found this

Saint Valentine's Massacre Address:

2122 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL
Directions:
North side of the city. I-90/94 exit 47A, east on Fullerton Ave. for two miles, then right onto Clark St. The vacant lot where the Garage used to stand is 2.5 blocks south (between Webster and Dickens), on the right, next to a nursing home. Five trees form a rough line in the lot; the one in the middle marks the spot where the wall stood.
- See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/18001#sthash.WtMORrE3.dpuf
Capone stuff
http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id61.htm

I live in OKC and the only place we have is where Machine Gun Kelly kidnapped a wealthy oil guy.

This may not be your favorite part of the period, but PLEASE report back on where you DO go.

Later

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
There is a boat tour of architectural sites on the river, but I'm not sure if they have it in the winter. Also, the Museum of Science and Industry has a German U-Boat you can tour. I believe it's the only one surviving and the only enemy vessel boarded on the high seas by the U.S. Navy since the War of 1812.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I forgot to add, the Art Institute of Chicago is one of the world's great art museums, and in its collection is Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks,"one of the greatest art works of the Golden Era.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Another fun tour is the Untouchables Tour. It's narrated by a couple of hammy actors in period garb who point out the great gangster sights. Actually, it's a tour of the old ethnic neighborhoods of Chicago, but you go by the Biograph Theater, the site of the St, Valentine's Day Massacre, Holy Name Cathedral, site of several gangster rubouts and across the street from Dion O'Banion's flower shop, and other nostalgic scenes. Silly, but fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24