Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headwear for hot, rainy weather?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
May I suggest the original Real Deal Brazil tarp hat. Made in Brazil from recycled truck tarps, the wire in the brim is recycled from old truck tires, and the crown is ventilated. The brim is 3", but it's more than adequate to keep the sun and rain off of your head. It's not "fashionable" by the usual Lounge standards, but it'll take a licking and keep on...uhhh...taking a licking.
looks like I have found my beater hat...

The "Real Deal's" not a half bad hat and I wear mine often enough to putz around. They advise you put something on it to help it shed water...
I've had mine for about four years now, and it does just fine without the additional waterproofing. It's actually my second; a friend liked my first one so much that I gave it to him after I won my current R.D.B. in a Facebook giveaway. I can see why they might not be to some peoples' liking, but I think they're a good, comfortable, durable hat for the price.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
The Brazilian tarp hat has a head start on Tilley - you might have to abuse the latter for a very long time to acquire that urban outdoorsman patina.

But back to your stated needs Nyah...I'd second suggestions for both Tilley and the Akubra Fed.

Re Tilley: you wanted something made of biodegradable materials, so probably not the Nylantium ones (which don't look as good to me although great for boating), but the T4 and smaller-brimmed T5 are canvas and both are great field hats. I wear them a good deal in hot weather. The big ventilation eyelets don't really let in much water in a rainstorm. I thought they would at first, but nope. There are also hemp versions of each (TH4 and TH5) - I have those as well, like them but end up using the canvas ones more. Less floppy and lighter.

About the dimensional brims on the Feds - I have three Fed IV and one Fed III (all deluxe) and have de-dimensionalized (to coin a term) brims on three of them. And the fourth isn't getting worn. Trimmed very carefully down to uniform ~2.5" all around. I'd suggest the deluxe (Heritage grade felt) and think it's well worth the extra freight. It seems pretty much immune to shrinkage or coning. Don't have quite the same confidence in the stability of the standard Imperial grade felt, although it's not really bad in that regard. I've seen some of the latter that have shrunk, although I don't know what all they've been through before getting to me. If you want a wider brim, the Banjo Paterson is also Heritage felt, but not as thick and heavy as others like the Lightning Ridge, hence a bit better in hot weather. I have two B.P.s (charcoal & tan) and wear them in hot weather a lot.

I'm in Atlanta, so we probably see similar weather.

Last edited:

DonGF

New in Town
I just ordered an Akubra Capricorn based on it being an excellent summer hat that can withstand heavy rain...according to the Capricorn thread. I live in Mobile, AL where we can get several inches of rain in an afternoon so I wanted a good rain hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto