Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headwear makes a comeback

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The hat comeback, of 1982 didn't take, and neither did the one of 1999. I don't think this one will be different, and the author gets that. I really like this:
"Now I know how nuns must have felt when Madonna started wearing a crucifix."

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
If anything it'll just be a small percent of people like it allways has been...
but it'd be nice if you are walking down a street and all you see are men in
vintage fedoras... but that'll never happen! :eusa_doh:

Thats why The Fedora Lounge has got its top scientists working on a time
portal to transport us all back! lol

Nikx

New in Town
StetsonHomburg said:
Thats why The Fedora Lounge has got its top scientists working on a time portal to transport us all back! lol

As a physicist, don't get me started on the ridiculousness of this topic lol

Though I suppose if you traveled at near the speed of light you could take advantage of time dilation and "time travel", though the effect would be reversed on your return journey. :p

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't particularly like the way this was written, to be honest. And I have to agree with the others; this isn't so much a comeback as a blip. [huh]

Thanks for the article, good fodder for discussion! Who knows, maybe hats will be popular again someday (but probably not).;)

Richard Warren

Practically Family
First, I find it remarkable the print media keep on discussing dropping readership without giving any thought to the truly inane content they are trying to sell, whether in print or on the internet. Reminds me of an analysis of inflation I got some years ago that dealt with declining quality as an unrecognized component of inflation. The prime example was Time magazine, which as time went on had fewer pages, fewer words per page, and more gossip and less news.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I have some issues with the article. First, none of this celebrity hat wearing is new. Secondly, shouldn't his imaginary psychiatrist have an Austrian accent rather than French?

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Good points. Maybe the guy was just having the psychiatrist talk like his own analyst does. Or maybe he confused the role of head doctor with that of head waiter.

matt_im

New in Town
Chuck Bobuck said:
I have some issues with the article. First, none of this celebrity hat wearing is new. Secondly, shouldn't his imaginary psychiatrist have an Austrian accent rather than French?

Haha! Yeah, I did wonder about the French psychiatrist accent. He obviously thought it added something that the Austrian accent just couldn't provide..

I would like to think that the hat will make a strong comeback and in these celebrity obsessed times Don Draper is surely the man to make this dream a reality! I can only hope...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
matt_im said:
Just stumbled across an article about hats on The Washington Post site and thought I'd put it up just out of interest...

Matt
I saw that in the newspaper yesterday. It's my observation also that hats are making a comeback. And why not? Fashion thrives on being different, and hats have been "out" for so long, it's time they are rediscovered. One of the interesting things is that hats as a whole are wide enough to span the ages--young people can have their stingy brims, we geezers can have wider brims, and there's a lot of territory in between. But because they are not widespread, wearing a fedora guarantees individuality in one's look, for better or for worse.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Fred H. said:
"Before long [we'll] see hat racks in every office, hat-check girls at every restaurant and hipsters moving up to the hard stuff: homburgs."

Touche!

Thinking of which, one of my greatest hat desires is a stingy homburg as was somewhat popular in the 20's. Basically the things that look like a creased bowler.

When I have a real job and money I'll get one from art I guess...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner