Hello again, my hats need some help

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Ginseng, May 2, 2021.

1. Ginseng

Ginseng One of the Regulars

Hi everyone,

I hope you have all been well. It's been a long time since I've posted but I have been wearing regularly, promise.

Anyway, over the years, my hats have accumulated soil, some modest, some significant, and now I feel the need to address these three cases: two Fed IV and a Campdraft.
    • The gray Fed IV took winter roadsplash of ice, oil, dirt, and who knows what from a highway overpass in Stockholm
    • The Campdraft has a dark spot right at the front crease
    • The brown Fed IV received some kind of splotchy stain while in Tokyo
    I don't have the skills or interest in handling this myself. Partly because I love my hats and I have no confidence in my skills. Partly because I'd like a real professional to do their best work for me.

So, would the fine folks here be able to recommend a craftsman to take care of these? I also have a Stratoliner that could use a clean, reblocking, and sizing so perhaps that can be rolled into the work batch?

Thank you for any help or guidance you can provide.

PS. I contacted two local sizable hat shops and the best they could tell me was to use a bit of steam and a brush. Doubtful.

IMG_7529.jpg IMG_7530.jpg IMG_7531.jpg

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Where are you located? Postage/shipping will be a significant expense. Perhaps send a PM to Daniele Tanto here in the Lounge. He uses a hat shop in the Netherlands.

Ginseng likes this.
  3. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

Eclipse Hat Shop recently reopened at Pike's Place market in Seattle and the owner Sharon is doing refurb work.

Ginseng and Boomerang like this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I made the assumption that you are in Europe. If in NA try Googling Western Hat shops....they do more refurb work and there is more of them at least here in the west.

Ginseng likes this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Great to hear there is a hat shop in Seattle. When the border reopens I will head down for a visit.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. For many of the shops that work on hats, if you get a clean and re-block you’re close to, or even over, the cost of a new Akubra. Just something to think about.

Ginseng, jlee562 and belfastboy like this.
  7. Ginseng

Thank you, gents. I'm in the continental US so Seattle might be the ticket. Any more suggestions would be welcome. As you can imagine, I've become attached to my hats and would like to refurb them if at all possible. Economically, I mean.

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Try the Google search for Western hat shops....Rand's Custom Hatters out of Billings are masters at restoring a working cowboy hat from rubbish bin to like new. There are others and the price points vary a lot. When shipping get the box as small as you can....otherwise you are paying good money to ship O2 and CO2.....

Ginseng likes this.
  9. Ginseng

I've already heard back from Sharon and she said that she's too busy settling into her new shop to do restorations at the moment. However, she recommended the Brass Rooster in Wisconsin, to whom I've reached out. Will let you all know how that goes.

new2hats and belfastboy like this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

You could also check out FineVintageFedoras on Etsy.com. Scott's prices are fair and he does good work. He too is in Wisconsin

Ginseng likes this.