Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello From England

melanie

One of the Regulars
I am new to this forum, so I am only just starting to find my way around it.

I am Melanie, I am 25, and I live with my darling hubby, 2 dogs and 2 cats in a city called Sunderland which is in England.

I love all things vintage, especially the 40's and 50's (I have noticed alot of things 40s on here, are there alot of things 50s on here also?)

I have always loved these eras, though it is only recently that I have taken the bull by the horns, and decided to try to make myself look and live like someone from these eras, and that is one of the reasons I have joined this forum, so that I can get some advice. :)

I am looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

Bye for now. x:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Melanie!
We cover the 40's and 50's and then some. At the most recent end, you'll find a lot of attention to Mad Men, set in the early 60's. There is a faction here who dig the skinny ties, narrow lapels and stingy brims of the Kennedy era, as well as ladies who dig the June Cleaver - Donna Reed - Audrey Hepburn look. At the other end, I'd say that the Edwardian era, pre WW I, is pretty much the outskirts of the neighborhood. If the skirts reach the floor, it's pretty much out of our interest area (except of course for evening gowns).

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Hello Melanie and welcome from the other end of our small but well-formed island. Well, I live in the Smoke now but hail from a small village somewhat west of Portsmouth, and you can't get much more south than that.

I hang about with the hat people more than anywhere else on this forum but I'm sure our paths might well cross here at some time. If the retro-knowledge ain't here, or in someone's head who logs on here, it must be recondite indeed.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Melanie, I am sure you will have a great time here.
Just ask all the questions you have - there's allways someone who knows a bit more than oneself.;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And don't forget to post in the "New Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge" thread at the top of the Observation Bar, plus the "New Ladies check in here" thread at the top of the Powder Room!

Welcome, hope you have as much fun as I have been having!

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Hi, Melanie.

Sunderland?! Wow, I went to university there. I live in Whitley Bay now. There's a lack of anything vinatge in the North East...unless I am looking in the wrong places!

Anyway, if you're interested in vintage clothing get yourself to Durham. Ding Dong vintage and Scarlett and Ribbons are both really good shops.

Faye.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
FAYEZY123 said:
Anyway, if you're interested in vintage clothing get yourself to Durham. Ding Dong vintage and Scarlett and Ribbons are both really good shops.

Faye.

My husband has just started working in Durham. I wonder if he will notice how suddenly keen I am to visit him on site?! lol

FAYEZY123

New in Town
Hi puzzicato,

Get yourself to Durham immediatley! Hopefully there will be some nice dresses left. I went on a massive spree on payday and bought 4 dresses and 3 circle skirts!...You only live once! :D

melanie

One of the Regulars
Hiya Faye :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll certainly check those shops out. Do you know of any kind of Rockabilly concerts, or re-enactment days that go on round about us? x

FAYEZY123

New in Town
melanie said:
Hiya Faye :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll certainly check those shops out. Do you know of any kind of Rockabilly concerts, or re-enactment days that go on round about us? x

Ahaha! I was going to ask you the same thing! I know of nothing. The North East is rubbish for stuff like that :eusa_doh: Unless I am looking in the wrong places...

I am always searching the web and looking in the local paper but nothing. I'd love to go to a ww2 re-enactment but they are always down south. It's so annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany