Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello hello

Dewhurst

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
If you're like most, you will, over time, migrate towards taller crowns, wider brims, and top quality chapeaus, eventually purchasing a custom/bespoke and/or vintage. Spending time here will greatly accelerate that process.

The Fedora Lounge Stereotype.

Contra this, there is a wide variety of hat related and unrelated interests represented on the lounge. E.g., I have far more flat caps than I do fedoras and tend to wear them more frequently.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Sacrilege? You want sacrilege, well, of my 80 hats, about half are:

:rage:BALL CAPS:rage:

And I've quite a number of berets, ivies, and oddities like a blue-and-white-striped original Wendy's Hamburgers tam and a fuzzy, super-wide-brimmed jungle-print 1970s-era Superfly pimp-hat owned by an actual panderer. (Don't ask how I came into possession of it.)

So, Dewhurst, I guess you could say I'm not exactly a Fedora Lounge stereotype myself.

AlterEgo said:
Sacrilege? You want sacrilege, well, of my 80 hats, about half are:

:rage:BALL CAPS:rage:

And I've quite a number of berets, ivies, and oddities like a blue-and-white-striped original Wendy's Hamburgers tam and a fuzzy, super-wide-brimmed jungle-print 1970s-era Superfly pimp-hat owned by an actual panderer. (Don't ask how I came into possession of it.)

So, Dewhurst, I guess you could say I'm not exactly a Fedora Lounge stereotype myself.

So how about a couple of pictures with this jungle Superfly hat, since you brought it up. Enquiring eyes would like to see this thing!:eek:

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Were my camera not dead, I'd post pics of this over-the-top lid, not to mention my more mainstream hats. I'll do my best to describe it verbally:

I got it out and am holding it in my hand right now. This is the first time I've looked at it in over twenty years, when I wore it to a Halloween party as the finishing touch to my wild-and-crazy-guy-from-the-70s costume. Actually, absent that pairing with a loud, flowered shirt open to the navel; ultra-tight, high-waisted pants with a super-skinny belt, and platform shoes with clear, lucite soles and heals, it's really not all that ridiculous.

In fact, it's a pretty decent looking chapeau, and fairly well made, at that.

It has a snap on the side that holds the brim up Aussie-Slouch-Hat style. Since it's been stored in that position for so long, it remains that way even when unsnapped. Though I described the brim as "super-wide," it measures only 3 inches. The slightly tapered crown is 3 3/4 in. tall at the front, with a shallow dip for a center crease, and no side dents. The jungle print consists of jagged black, brown, dark amber, and green "leaves" densely arrayed against a barely visible beige background. I'm an outdoorsman familiar with all the standard varieties of camouflage, but this pattern matches none of them; even so, it would readily blend into any grassy or forested environment in any season but snowy wintertime.

I got this hat when I was a teenager, a time when I immediately removed all tags, but part of the only one remaining beneath the sweatband says 100% cotton. In fact, but for the bronze sateen lining and black sateen sweat, the hat is constructed of cotton flannel--like granny's super-thick pajamas! Having a "self" hatband, the crown is soft but with just enough body to keep it erect, while sixteen concentric rings of close stitching in the brim keep it sufficiently rigid.

I'd forgotten how big it fit when I got it as a pin-headed teenager. Consequently, I didn't wear it much back then, and the pimp must have just acquired it before it came into my hands, so that explains why the hat is still in excellent condition. Now it's a perfect fit. Should I...

Wear it?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
...oddities like a blue-and-white-striped original Wendy's Hamburgers tam...

How come I can't picture this? Hmmmm. I have a blank in my Wendy's memory somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael