Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help choosing between: Stetson Retro straw vs Ultrafino Bogart vs Stetson Forty Eight

dawgvet

Familiar Face
So I’m looking for my first Summer straw hat and I’ve about narrowed it down to a Stetson Retro straw vs Stetson Forty Eight vs Ultrafino Bogart. I prefer higher crowns and less taper but can’t afford a custom or high-end Monticristi so looking at these. I’ve heard that synthetic straw is hotter-wearing than natural straw? Otherwise I’d consider a Akubra Capricorn. Is the Forty Eight worth twice the price of the Retro? Is the Bogart just a rebranded cheap Capas hat?

Any input appreciated. Thanks,
Jed

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
So I’m looking for my first Summer straw hat and I’ve about narrowed it down to a Stetson Retro straw vs Stetson Forty Eight vs Ultrafino Bogart. I prefer higher crowns and less taper but can’t afford a custom or high-end Monticristi so looking at these. I’ve heard that synthetic straw is hotter-wearing than natural straw? Otherwise I’d consider a Akubra Capricorn. Is the Forty Eight worth twice the price of the Retro? Is the Bogart just a rebranded cheap Capas hat?

Any input appreciated. Thanks,
Jed
I have a Capricorn which I think is a decent hat. While it is a bit warmer to wear, it is indestructible. I prefer the Akubra hemp and like the Range with its wide brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB