Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help deciding on new Aero!!!

dep126

Familiar Face
Getting ready to order a new custom Aero. I once had a brown FQHH Sheen that I sadly outgrew. Ideally I’d love to get a college jacket and a Majestic in the new chocolate suede, but two jackets aren’t in the cards just yet.

I think I’m gonna start out with a college jacket, but I’m just not sure on what hide. I really love the navy Vicenza with caramel knits, but I’m not sure how flexible something like that would be?? I’m usually a jeans or khakis sort of guy. Is that navy pretty hard to pull off or should I go with something more traditional??

Any suggestions are welcome, especially if you have some pics - not too many of the college jacket online. Thanks!!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Blue and brown are pretty versatile together and would look good with almost anything aside from black. The blue Vicenza isn't too dark or too electric blue either so I think it could work out pretty well.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
If you get one - please put up photos of it, College Jackets are not common on here.

I generally avoid any leather jacket with "knit cuffs". I just do not prefer the "bomber" styles overall, but there is a whole lot out there if that's what you decide to go with. Vicenza is interesting leather, I have handled three jackets made out of it, something like the College jacket would lend itself a lighter-weight leather so I think that would be a solid choice. If you go through Carrie (recommended and use the Fit Jacket process) you may need to have her help dial in the specs for a well-sized jacket.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Blue and brown are pretty versatile together and would look good with almost anything aside from black. The blue Vicenza isn't too dark or too electric blue either so I think it could work out pretty well.

I would love something in an almost electric blue, though it's an expensive experiment.

The Lewis Leathers veg-tanned horse is a particularly gorgeous out-there blue.

dep126

Familiar Face
Ugh I just do t know what direction to go. I love this color combo but not sure it’s me…..

Attachments

• E397E4D3-8AB7-459C-92D4-25D37D6168BA.jpeg
    E397E4D3-8AB7-459C-92D4-25D37D6168BA.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 99

Pandemic

One Too Many
Getting ready to order a new custom Aero. I once had a brown FQHH Sheen that I sadly outgrew. Ideally I’d love to get a college jacket and a Majestic in the new chocolate suede, but two jackets aren’t in the cards just yet.

I think I’m gonna start out with a college jacket, but I’m just not sure on what hide. I really love the navy Vicenza with caramel knits, but I’m not sure how flexible something like that would be?? I’m usually a jeans or khakis sort of guy. Is that navy pretty hard to pull off or should I go with something more traditional??

Any suggestions are welcome, especially if you have some pics - not too many of the college jacket online. Thanks!!

I think you answered your own question there

Aloysius

It certainly is and an electric blue would be fun for sure, but I'm thinking about versatility here.

Absolutely. It’s tricky enough that we (who have closets full of outerwear) hesitate.

Definitely not something I’d recommend to the average first time jacket buyer. (The 5% that will grab and rock a colorful jacket from the get go aren’t going to be asking.)

Manolito

Familiar Face
I own a college jacket from Aero in chocolate suede, that I bought from their stock in 2020 and it is a great jacket. Beautiful construction and suede quality. It is everything you want and need from such a jacket.

It is suede, so i don't Wear it when there is much rain, but it is the only con i see.

There is no need to break it or whatever, it is wearable and cool looking from the moment you pull it from its box.

The price is fair. It is super versatile and still a serious eye catcher.

No fit problem should i add. Super confortable, no weight pushing on the back of the neck at all.

I have non Idea why it is not more popular among Aero buyers, who tend to always revolve around the same halfbelts and highwaymen...

Last edited:

Manolito

Familiar Face
Here is a picture (terrible picture, sorry) of my college jacket.

It is a 36 and I am a 38, so it is downsized by one size compared to the Aero sizing for this jacket (which is a 50s wide sizing). It is still totaly confortable.

BOMBER.JPG

Edward

Bartender
If you're especially keen on the college jacket, the blue hide would work with either blue or black. If blue knits are an option, that would keep it neutral too.

Alternatively, I have a Bootlegger in cordovan which has been much work with blacks, blues, and earthtones over the years and is a truly 'neutral' leather in that respect. A jacket in that (with sympathetic knits, if required) might be worth considering.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Go with brown or black, more versatile. Blue leather with blue jeans is a no-go in my books where as brown/black works with both jeans and khakis.

Aloysius

Here is a picture (terrible picture, sorry) of my college jacket.

It is a 36 and I am a 38, so it is downsized by one size compared to the Aero sizing for this jacket (which is a 50s wide sizing). It is still totaly confortable.

View attachment 490936

This doesn’t look at all bad but I think the proportions would be better without downsizing. The pattern seems to be designed to drape a bit then get cinched by the knits.

Not mentioning as critique but as a suggestion for OP’s order process.

Aloysius

I think I’m gonna start out with a college jacket, but I’m just not sure on what hide. I really love the navy Vicenza with caramel knits, but I’m not sure how flexible something like that would be?? I’m usually a jeans or khakis sort of guy. Is that navy pretty hard to pull off

Responding directly to this, I don’t think it would be hard to pull off at all. navy jackets blend into a wardrobe quite nicely. They’re not as common with leather but there’s no reason that should be a problem. You’ll essentially be wearing a richer alternative to black, if that makes sense.

Manolito

Familiar Face
No problem about your notice about thé sizing of my jacket. I already have a Brown suede 38 schott jacket of a similar style that is 'true to my size'. Here is a picture of it that gives a clearer idea of what the cut of this style should look like. There is a slight oversizing around the shoulders (19 inches when it should be 18) and the knits are almost completely in the sleeves.

1676828867102.png

The Aero is to me an alternate option to the Schott one. And even downsized the Aero is still a very cool jacket to me, a bit different of the classic suede bomber style and I enjoy it very much too, especialy when wearing slim blue jeans or high waisted chinos for instance.

Last edited:

Pandemic

One Too Many
Damn it I keep circling back to the majestic as well…..that chocolate suede is beautiful and probably a lot more versatile than the blue……

I think the chocolate suede would be super versatile and ideal as a second jacket (after a brown or black horse or steer hide). There’s something lux about it that people react to - my wife looks at CXL and is pretty ‘meh’ with the utilitarian ruggedness but will ooo and ah over a soft Valstar suede jacket.

The campus jacket just doesn’t appeal to me, but it had a lot going for it. I’d go for the Majestic or maybe an A1 in suede.

MrProper

In the 80/90s I had a suede trucker jacket as my only leather jacket and it performed well. Was less sensitive than expected, even if you have looked at her in the end that she was worn extensively. Ultimately, I gave it away because wide and shoulder padding was then no longer my style lol
Good suede is cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points