Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help determine which hide this Langlitz is made from..

Kenan

A-List Customer
Hi folks

I found this Langlitz Columbia jacket which has amazing character and creasing in the leather. Seller claims that it’s horsehide, which I do agree it does look like horsehide to me, but doesn’t Langlitz use green tags for their horsehide jackets? Calling all you Langlitz experts out there. Thanks in advance!

Pictures of the jacket…
52983E78-1111-42B8-8156-2BD5C105190D.jpeg
B090FF6A-BBB7-416E-B708-97962172D678.jpeg
5AF82CC0-E27A-4A55-8508-DA1C8580432B.jpeg
92D11391-C95D-45CF-8A27-FB6639E7C4A7.jpeg

Kenan

A-List Customer
^^^What he said, there is a serial number inside the pockets

But Langlitz only works with goat, and cowhide. Horsehide is a premium upcharge and will always have the label. This is definitely not goat. I bet it's the 3.5oz cowhide.
This was also what I was originally thinking. The green label on Langlitz horsehide. Still looks amazing even if it’s cowhide, but you a probably right!

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a Horsehide Langlitz dated to the 50’s-60’s. No identifying indicators except for the zippers. But this looks a little newer. The date of manufacture will give us a better idea for sure.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
^^^What he said, there is a serial number inside the pockets

But Langlitz only works with goat, and cowhide. Horsehide is a premium upcharge and will always have the label. This is definitely not goat. I bet it's the 3.5oz cowhide.

They've done horsehide in the past, especially in the 40s/50s when horsehide was still common.

Green labels were the original labels. I don't think they use them anymore, but I could be wrong.

They do not typically put a label in the jacket saying whether it's goat or cowhide. I have seen occasionally horsehide labels, but that may only be a recent thing since it's special order now. You can easily tell between goat and cow, based on the weight and how it drapes. Langlitz cowhide seems more like horsehide than a lot of other makers' cowhide is. It burnishes the same way you see good FQHH do, and usually has a tighter grain, like that typical of horsehide. Langlitz's cowhide is amazing stuff.

Kenan

A-List Customer
They've done horsehide in the past, especially in the 40s/50s when horsehide was still common.

Green labels were the original labels. I don't think they use them anymore, but I could be wrong.

They do not typically put a label in the jacket saying whether it's goat or cowhide. I have seen occasionally horsehide labels, but that may only be a recent thing since it's special order now. You can easily tell between goat and cow, based on the weight and how it drapes. Langlitz cowhide seems more like horsehide than a lot of other makers' cowhide is. It burnishes the same way you see good FQHH do, and usually has a tighter grain, like that typical of horsehide. Langlitz's cowhide is amazing stuff.
I know that with jackets you order in horsehide now they get this tag in them:
8E260A6E-A095-4F06-B225-5A0930618667.jpeg

They do make some of the coolest looking jackets out there!

dannyk

One Too Many
I thought this one might've been horse but it sure wasn't. There's no way to ever know without asking the maker. The difference between horsehide and cowhide is a myth.

20200511-114849.jpg

20200511-114954.jpg

20200511-115000-0.jpg
Absolutely it is. They can be the same oz and tanned the same way and no one knows the difference. Horse is cool because that’s what was used as the primary-notice I say primary because cow and goat and deer, bison have been used for centuries as well. But horse was the primary leather until the 60s. Simply because horses at one time outnumbered cows and there was more of them. So horse is really cool for the heritage reason.

Some research showing it’s a tiny bit better at abrasion resistance and water resistance. But depending on thickness and tanning method that can change as well. They look identical and feel identical.

Outside of brands using it to be more “authentic” for repro purposes or simply offering it as an option are the only real reasons for it. Anything else is marketing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana