Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding straw "Goldfinger" hat

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I know a couple of guys looking for the straw hat that Bond wore during this golf match with Goldfinger.

Anyone know a hatter who carries something like it?

goldfinger.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Try VHS

As a guess, I'd say check Village Hat Shop - they carry a ton of straws and seem to favor the hipster stingy brims - can't think of a specific model though.

dman

New in Town
My guess is that it's a Slazenger hat. I don't even know if they made hats, but everything in that scene was Slazenger (the golf balls, his sweater).

mineral

One of the Regulars
dman said:
My guess is that it's a Slazenger hat. I don't even know if they made hats, but everything in that scene was Slazenger (the golf balls, his sweater).

Far as I know, all the hats in the Bond movies are from Lock & Co. I wouldn't be surprised if this one also is from Lock & Co.

NonEntity

Suspended
BegintheBeguine said:
Here it is. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28646
Brian, a patron at my library wears a similar stingy brim, I could ask him where he got it if you have no luck.
Ashley

Thanks, BtB. I copied and pasted the part of Cookie's post about the hat:

"Lot 54
Odd Job Hat From "Goldfinger"
A black felt derby hat with a customized mounted steel brim worn by Harold Sakata playing Odd Job in "Goldfinger" (United Artists, 1964). The hat remained in Sakata's collection after filming was finished and was given to his son Jon Sakata. The hat was restored by applying eight metal rivets and tape to re-seal separation between the steel brim and the lower brim of the hat. Sakata is best remembered for his role as the villainous Odd Job, the most famous henchman of the entire Bond seriess, who used this hat as a deadly weapon. This hat is one of the two known to exist. The other hat was sold at Christie's in 1998 for $120,000. 12 1/2". Sale History: Julien's Auctions, June 2006."

Hmmm. $120 thou. That's just a tad out of my price range. It's not the style but the deadly aspect that attracts me, so I would not be interested in a regular stingy brim just like it without the metal edge. Perhaps I can take solace in the fact that it was the deadly hat which was Odd Job's ultimate undoing when he reached for it as Bond stuck the high voltage wire to where it stuck and electrocuted the man.

Edward

Bartender
I as looking at www.classic-caps.co.uk yesterday, and they have a couple that look close to Connery's. I think the Panama Rio is the closer of them:

466hpanamariolatte.jpg

It is shown in natural, but it is also available in black. The hat itself (including tax, but not shipping) is GBP35, which over here for a good production straw seems reasonable.

See http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/acatalog/Panama.html - the Panama Rio is the one at the bottom of the page, you'll have to scroll down to see it.

1BAT4U

New in Town
Found a good choice

Hey fellas,

I just found this thread as I was trying to find the same hat (or at least a shape hat) myself for golfing days.

From watching Goldfinger, and as is visable in those photos it looks more to me like he's simply wearing a tear drop (C dent) porkpie with the brim turned down in the front, and has given it a bit of a pinch in the front. Check out this hat currently on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120875787472#ht_3236wt_829

It's a porkpie but has a very similar look overall, only the band is different. I'm ordering one so if anyone on here still cares I can post pics later.

Cheers!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
But isn't a c-dent pork pie an oxymoron? The key feature of a pork pie is the telescope crease, no?

Anyways, I was watching Goldfinger tonight because I was intrigued by Oddjob's hat (planning for a costume party!), and was looking at Bond's hat. If you look at the crown and the pinch, it's actually been blocked on an Optimo style block with the center ridge and then given a teardrop crease with no rake. Well, perhaps one could consider that a telescope, it's kind of hard to see the top from the angles shown in the film. But the Optimo ridge was was definitely there.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There have been a few hats very close to this hat on eBay, don't know your size but take a peek on eBay and see if you come up with anything???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy