Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for the fedora rookie

TopSpin

New in Town
Hey guys, this is my first post on the site.

Before my request, a little bit about me: I'm TopSpin, a junior in high school and the sports editor of my high school rag. I'm into creative writing and journalism, which I suppose accounts for part of my fascination with hats and their era...

Anyway, I'm pretty new to the hat game and wanted your opinion on what type to buy. I've already established a small list of criteria that I look for in prospective hats, so I'll post that now...

-I like vintage stuff (I hear they're made to last), but I can't wear anything too conservative--I'm a kid, after all, and want to wear my hats casually.
-No preference between felt and panama, although I live in Texas, if that makes a difference.
-Price IS an issue...preferably under 60 bucks.
-My hat size is 7 1/8.

Now, I'm not asking you to go digging around to find me the perfect hat, but I WOULD like a nudge in the right direction...what hat would look good with my stature (6' 2"), face shape, etc. (Attached is a picture, by the way...)

Blakeandcompany.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

citRon

A-List Customer
wait...which one in the picture are you? lol

sorry, you'll realize most of us here have a sense of humor!
Welcome to the Lounge! :D
As far as your request, I have two suggestions keeping your budget in mind.
For a panama-ish hat that is pretty stylish and not overwhelming, I'd suggest the Akubra Capricorn.
For a felt (my favorite) I would say the Stacy Adams fur felt, (Medium) which you can pick up for $30 bucks brand new shipped, or try to find a used Akubra Stylemaster off ebay (size 57).
Also, watch the classifieds here, you can find some great deals.

You can find recent reviews on both of these hats right here at the Lounge.
I'm sure other, much more informative and educated answers will follow.

TopSpin

New in Town
Yeah, I'm the big shiny fellow. ;)

Thanks for the advice. It may not be the most "educated" or "informative" response, but it sure beats the hell out of my shallow experience in the subject.

TopSpin

New in Town
Thanks. You'd think it'd be easy enough to find a decent hat store in or around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but alas...

Davidson

One of the Regulars
TopSpin said:
Thanks. You'd think it'd be easy enough to find a decent hat store in or around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but alas...
You're in luck. Two things to do: go to your local Burlington Coat Factory. Buried somewhere in there will be a cluster of hat racks. Veyy inexpensive, and probably nothing you will want to buy. But a fun place to try out a number of different styles with a friend or two. Pay attention to what brim widths you like, how tall a crown, and what colors look good with your eyes, hair and skin. Decide if you want casual, cool, or dressy.

Now head over to the Stetson factory in Garland. There is a factory store there. Go east on 635 and take the Forest exit. Then just keep driving east, and eventually you will see the Stetson factory on the right - turn right at the light and drive to the back, where the factory store is. Here you can usually find a good selection of hats, at a reasonable price, in many sizes.
Spend an hour trying on different ones, for fit and style. If you find one you like, you may be able to find an identical one in better shape by hunting for it in the racks.

Don't expect felt perfection off the rack - that guy / girl in the back will steam and brush your hats clean for you when you are ready to buy.

At the front they will put each in its own box.

I don't remember, but if they have a hat brush there, pick one up with dark colored bristles. You may add one with light bristles if you buy a light-color felt hat.

You will find wool and wool blend hats there. Avoid them.

My son, a little older than you, would probably put you in a stingy brim, maybe a telescope, a medium-dark brown to go with your hair. Spring is soon, check out the straws, too. It gets hot in a felt hat in the summer here.

Go during the week during the day, Wed-Fri. It can be crowded on Saturday. Mon and Tue they may still be adding stock for the week to replace Saturday's sales.

EDIT: P.S. Tip the person that cleans your hat. Everybody needs to make a living, and if you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the hat.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
I think hats-plus has a good selection of hats under $100 on their website, and there are probably quite a few of them under $60.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by not wanting something "too conservative" though, since you might have a different idea of what is "conservative" in a hat. I do imagine, though, that you wouldn't want anything with a brim wider than 2 1/4 inches.

If you're going to be wearing this hat to your jousting competitions, I do second the others' suggestions on a hardy Akubra.

:deadhorse

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Top

Welcome, you'll find with the exception of myself, people are very nice here. Got a lot of great info, too.

A viable option is to grab yourself a very cheap lid and wear it around the house to see if you even like wearing hats.

Beyond that keep your eyes open there are myriad styles and materials: some are for fashion, some functional, some both etc etc

Most people here seem to have several hats. Possibly one for each outfit of clothing.

Since i wear the same thing day in day out I have just one flea bitten hat.

So just pull up a chair and enjoy the Lounge;) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Davidson said:
Now head over to the Stetson factory in Garland. EDIT: P.S. Tip the person that cleans your hat. Everybody needs to make a living, and if you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the hat.

This post in its entirety is excellent advice and I think you will be pleased with the result if you follow it!

TopSpin

New in Town
Well hey, I seem to have stumbled across a veritable trove of information here! Thanks to everyone for the advice, especially Davidson (good to have a DFW insider...) :)

Pduck

One of the Regulars
When I think of a journalist/writer in a hat...

Shirley Povich (Maury's father):

sptSportswritingPHOTO2.jpg

Walter Winchell:

walter-winchell.jpg

And of course, Edward R. Murrow:

EdwardRMurrow_London.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Topspin, I may have something that will work for you and fit your budget. I live in Old lake Highlands and not too far from the HATCO Outlet. PM me once you have 15 posts (the minimum required to PM). Happy Hat Hunting and welcome to the FL. Carter

donwo

New in Town
Hi all,
Does anyone know the hat Edward R Murrow is wearing?
It looks similar to one Al Pacino wore in the Godfather

Welcome, TopSpin, and a big thank you and an atta-boy for your attention to spelling and grammar. Yeah, I know, it's just an Internet forum, and people post on the fly and for that reason errors are to be expected. And that's cool, I suppose. But doing it "right" shows that little extra measure of respect -- for your audience's time and trouble, and for yourself as a communicator.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Oh, by the way ...

I'd take Carter up on his offer, TopSpin. He has a good eye and I'd bet that with his assistance you'd all the sooner get into the right hat for you. Crown height and brim width and body color and ribbon size are all important, but so are other, more subtle but potentially more significant considerations, such as crown and brim shape, and how all those attributes work (or don't work) together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo