Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help!!! I hate the "kiss hello"

koopkooper

Practically Family
Ok, I've gotta say it, I am offically over the kiss hello move.
Anyone else sick of it...I need an alternative, besides the uncomfortable
feeling I get having to physically kiss people who are practically strangers, I just think it's overused.

When did we start doing this stupid thing, is there an alternative, apart from shaking hands, which is a bit to formal in a social situation between men and women...however quite acceptable with men in all occasions.

Kooper

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I follow the woman's lead, whether she offers a cheek or a hand. I view it as an expression of friendship.

I suppose one could step back and offer a hand instead, but I wouldn't want to snub an offer of friendship.

I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry refuses to kiss anymore cheeks. He ends up alienating his entire building.;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
koopkooper said:
Ok, I've gotta say it, I am offically over the kiss hello move.
Anyone else sick of it...I need an alternative, besides the uncomfortable
feeling I get having to physically kiss people who are practically strangers, I just think it's overused.

When did we start doing this stupid thing, is there an alternative, apart from shaking hands, which is a bit to formal in a social situation between men and women...however quite acceptable with men in all occasions.

Kooper
I know exactly how you feel. I don't mind the kiss on the cheek goodbye, for after spending some time with someone, I think a little peck is a nice gesture. However, when meeting someone for the first time, or seeing someone I kind of know, I'd prefer to leave the big hug or a kiss on the cheek behind. Sometimes I think it's very phony. Like"OH MY! So good to see you!!" Yahoo, who are you???

I would do as Hem suggested, take the person's lead. If a gal leans toward you upon your first hello of the evening, you gotta give her the dreaded kiss. I prefer to stick my hand out real fast, so they know I don't want the smooch.
I hope you figure out what to do, and let me know how it goes. I'd like to know the trick to alleviating these awkward moments that happen too often.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If I really Like Somebody............

...........I kiss and hug hello and I kiss and hug goodbye. And, I may kiss and hug you sometime in between. Sorry:eek:

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
New acquaintances often seem to find me a little cold and intimidating, so I take advantage of this with a half-bow that cuts out the entire complicated nonsense from the get-go. It seems to work most of the time.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
This is new to me!

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]New acquaintances often seem to find me a little cold and intimidating, so I take advantage of this with a half-bow that cuts out the entire complicated nonsense from the get-go. It seems to work most of the time.[/QUOTE]

I'm completely unaware of the kiss thing. I thought the hugging was bad enough! Like Doc D I tend to be interpreted as standoffish (one of those Cancer traits of mine?) and I might have to try his half-bow approach if the kissing spreads into my area. I like the formality of it and it would suit me I think.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I have absolutely NO problem kissing the ladies, stranger or not! ;) :D

Kissing a woman is one thing, but this forced pseudo-intimacy with strangers gets right up my nose. I'll kiss woman friends on the cheek by all means, and if a woman wants to be kissed, then I'd almost certainly be more than happy to oblige. ;) But I've never been one of life's great huggers and see no reason to go even further when I've barely had a chance to learn someone's name, let alone had time to decide whether or not I like them.

Feraud

Bartender
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Kissing a woman is one thing, but this forced pseudo-intimacy with strangers gets right up my nose. I'll kiss woman friends on the cheek by all means, and if a woman wants to be kissed, then I'd almost certainly be more than happy to oblige. ;) But I've never been one of life's great huggers and see no reason to go even further when I've barely had a chance to learn someone's name, let alone had time to decide whether or not I like them.[/QUOTE] So true. I am talking a peck on the cheek if necessary and nothing further.
I have observed this is a custom among many nations.
When in Rome....:)

magneto

Practically Family
How timely! Yesterday I met an Italian friend at the store and forgot she does the dreaded "double cheek kiss" move...after peck #1 I started to move away, interrupted her trajectory to my right cheek, and got bopped in the nose. A little too much "personal space invasion" for this stuffy American. I'll take a nice firm handshake.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Feraud said:
So true. I am talking a peck on the cheek if necessary and nothing further.
I have observed this is a custom among many nations.
When in Rome....:)

I have a sudden urge to become very colonial and say "But I'm British, and that's foreign!"

But I know what you mean.

Feraud

Bartender
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]I have a sudden urge to become very colonial and say "But I'm British, and that's foreign!"

But I know what you mean.[/QUOTE] lol Nothing wrong with that! :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Up here in Maine, the kiss-hello thing is totally unknown -- around here, it's cause for disapproving frowns if spouses kiss in public, so you can imagine the uproar if barely-acquaintances did so.

The only time I've ever experienced it myself with with a Scottish journalist who flew up here to interview me for a BBC documentary on early radio a few years back. When I met him at the airport I extended my hand, and he gave me a very courtly hand-kiss, which is *definitely* not something you see in Maine every day. And then after the interview, he leaned in and gave me a full-fledged kiss goodbye, which really took me aback.

Now, I'm of Scottish descent myself, but I had no idea native Scots were so hot-blooded....

Juniper

New in Town
There are places in the U.S where men greet unknown women by kissing them on the cheek? Where I am in the Texas Gulf Coast, this is definitely not so. I've been introduced in social settings to ladies from Mexico, and they do the hug-and-air-kiss thing, but I don't think that they do that with new male acquaintances.

My personal bubble is so big, you have to cross it to shake my hand!

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm okay with the kiss hello if I already know the person and I truly like them. I don't dole out affection to just random people or people I am not that close with. Sadly, I have a sister who is not a good person, even her, I do not kiss or hug hello or good bye because it's phony, I don't want her in my personal space and I would feel the same about a complete stranger. When meeting someone or, if I don't know them well, a handshake is fine. I personally LOVE the kiss on the hand thing, a friend of my brother's does this and I adore it. Now people that I know, it's kisses, long hugs because I am genuinely happy to see them or when they leave, I'm genuinely happy to have spent time with them. I'm a very kiss-y hug-gy person.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Don't worry, citizens!
Spatsman will wrangle those random smooches!

Seriously, I know a lot of folks are put off by it, and I agree it isn't very respectable or courteous to put a stranger in such an awkward position. Personal space should be considered until you have some sort of recognition with another person.
I'm an energetic flirt myself. I've kissed pets for a laugh, don't care, life is too short, etc.
However, I'll wait until someone knows my addiction to humor and affection before throwing it at them.
If a woman leans a cheek in for a kiss, bend to her ear and softly say "Omigod, your hair smells like cookies!"
If a guy leans in, say the same thing. Tell me how that works out. I'm morbidly curious.

Heads up, parrots bite... real hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR