Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! I scratched my new G&B goatskin A-2

Tangerine

New in Town
I've had this for all of two weeks. I bought one that fit (I'm still selling a 'smaller' one -- size 50 -- here in the Lounge). Now I discover the pictured scratches and holes. I did it; how I don't know; believe me, the roughest thing I do is drive to the office. My questions: should an expensive goatskin from a quality maker have this happen? Should I be miffed at myself or G&B? And can I fix this? I don't mind wrinkles and wear and patina and all that when it happens, but shouldn't this be a tougher hide? Any assistance or insight greatly appreciated!

Pix are two without flash; one with.

232323232%7Ffp63266%3Enu%3D7439%3E472%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D334896%3C87734%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63268%3Enu%3D7439%3E472%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D334896%3C87834%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63399%3Enu%3D7439%3E472%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D334896%3C87934%3Anu0mrj

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Yup, it happens. All of my A-2s have scratches on them, the first two from flying in a B-24 and B-17 the most recent because I was stupid at work. I was pretty upset about the first one when a friends wife (WWII B-24 pilot's wife) said "Well, beat up and scratched, thats when flight jackets start looking good". Who can argue with an 84 year old lady?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I thought this was a joke post at first. Sorry. Yep, that's what leather does and is meant to do. Those scratches are minor and just the first. Looks like a dog may have put it's paws up on your coat. Goat is very tough and G&B one of the toughest so I imagine the jacket has gone up agianst somethign rough at some point, as almost any coat is bound to do.

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
---Hey Moe She's right of course.
---Tangerine anymore detail pics of the hide? Around the collar and epaulettes maybe? As far as the scratches yup it happens. Try shoe polish to hide it. I use mink oil to darken the scratched surface, seems to work ok.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
What are you kidding?
I purposely rub up against brick walls with my Aero FQHH to give it more character.
Yes, I'm serious!
The more beat up, the better.
Don't know if the same holds true for Goat though.
Lenny

fishmeok

Vendor
If you take something sharp it will scratch any hide- but you mentioned a hole? To cover those scratches up just rub a little matching (or close to it) shoe polish on the scratch. Nothing to worry about, it will happen to every jacket sooner or later-
Cheers
Mark

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Surely you should be celebrating the scratches to the goatskin! People will pay more for a time-worn jacket and you have started to age your jacket for free! Seriously these marks can easily be fixed with a little polish or some Pecards.

Yep.
Normal. They are part of the "mojo" of owning a leather jacket.
Many manufacturers offer you the service of "aging" the jacket before they deliver it....scuffing it up a bit. For a price.

With FQHH jackets like Aero's Cheyenne, I've scratched the coat with my fingernails just trying to undo the buttons!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, I know how hard it is to take, espcially when the jacket is still spanking new. So, my solution is, either let it gets the wears and tears, or get two, so that you always have one which is brand new.........

But then, after a few scratches and scruffles, you will get use to it.

kojax

Practically Family
like people said here brown shoe polish works the best i use it all the time good luck buddy

Well, I know how hard it is to take, espcially when the jacket is still spanking new. So, my solution is, either let it gets the wears and tears, or get two, so that you always have one which is brand new.........

That's what I keep telling my wife when she asks why I need another leather jacket.
They just keep getting scratched up. I need continual "pristine jacket" replacements.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
My brother hates the look of brand new athletic shoes, so when he buys a pair he ties them securely to his rear bumper and drives several blocks. Completely unrelated, I know.

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
My brother hates the look of brand new athletic shoes, so when he buys a pair he ties them securely to his rear bumper and drives several blocks. Completely unrelated, I know.

I heard of someone who tried to do something similar with his G&B Expedition involving a jeep and a gravel road, but hardly noticed any scuffs. Sorry to hear about the scratch on your jacket. A lot of people seem to have the opposite problem with G&B goatskins--that they won't scuff fast enough.

Goat is an odd skin. Very soft off the rack. Damages fairly easy, and never wrinkles like a horse or thick steer.
Its like sheerling. Easy to damage, and to me, when it gets such scratches, bums me out. So I think the goat has to get REALLY scratched up or stay perfect to enjoy.
I'm currently breaking in a new goat, so I know how he's feeling. My wife has these damn rose bushes that climb over our driveway and they've taken their toll on my B3 and other garments over the years.
That's why I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Aero FQHH jacket. Just can't decide WHICH ONE!

The depth of the dye used on the leather will make a difference. If the dye is deep or through the leather just putting on a leather preservative of some type on the leather may darken those scratches to be un-noticable. like the use of mink oil mentioned in an earlier post. The shoe polish will work too.

I wonder if the reason old jackets don't show scratches as much may be from what was put on the leather over time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany