Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying a family crest from GB

Doublegun

Practically Family
Recently I acquired a very fine shotgun made in London around 1907. At the toe of the stock there is a brass oval typically used for the owners initials. The oval on this gun is engraved with what appears to be a family crest or coat of arms. The engraving on the banner is worn but I believe it reads "per ever anti dabitur".

I am hoping that someone can direct me to a resource where I can identify the family and any other historical info.

Thank you,

JDG

1D2CC678-9B55-46C7-B1AA-D24633D73179-6063-00000490B0FB902E_zps09f0800b.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks. That's approximately what I came up with which is one reason I am interested in some historical context.

Are you sure it's not "perseveranti dabitur"? I think that means something to the effect of "it will be given to those who persevere". Several families have that as a motto, but you should be able to search online heraldry sites and possibly find a match to the crest.

ETA: A quick Google search on the motto, and what I believe is the crest, indicates the family name is "Gilmour". Not sure if that's something familiar to you or not.

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
Thanks, HH. That makes more sense. Most of the wear is on the 4th-6th letters. I am not familiar with Gilmour but I will dig into it.

The shotgun, an HJ Hussey Imperial, is a "best" gun built in London. The family would have been pretty well off to have had the gun built.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk