Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identifying unknown maker of A-2 styled jacket.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Several years ago I purchased an A-2 jacket from a bricabrac shop. I can't really recall when even, but it has been in my wardrobe for 15 years or so. I do not know the history of the jacket although it had old rolling tobbacco in one pocket at purchase.

The jacket was in good condition except for the zipper, waistband and cuffs, which had holes in & had lost most of the elasticicity. The zip broke after doing it up once or twice. I happened to live by a very elderly man who ran a business as a tailor. He replaced the waistband/cuffs, zip & added a snap fastner. I actually greatly regret adding the snap fastner at the base of the wind flap. At the time I thought that was an "improvement"! I can't recall who made the zip, but am sure it was a fairly modern make. So no clue there particularly. Intrestingly he rememberd the A-2's from after the war, when they were often worn by British bikers...

I am also unsure what leather the jacket is made from. However it does have a slight plasticy look... hopefully its not actually made of plastic! I can see what looks like genuine grain in places. :rolleyes:

I assume this is a civilain copy of an A-2 and of no real value except that of interest. There is no maker label, nor does is look as though there ever was.
No label inside the pocket flaps either. It is quite authentic looking and does not have the usual two piece back or side entry pockets of so many others.

I never wear this jacket, and think it is a little too small on me. I had trouble taking any quality photos with just a mobile phone camera, but hope they are of use to the jacket experts on the forum. Please share any thoughts or comments on this mystery jacket! Thanks.

Photo links:

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0393-jpg.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0395-jpg.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0394-jpg.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0413-jpg.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0412-jpg.html

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0376-jpg.html

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0377-jpg.html

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0417-jpg.html#media

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0407-jpg.html

http://public.fotki.com/OldCountry/a-2-unknown-maker/imag0420-jpg.html#media

Last edited:

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Looks like maker did a nice job of reproducing a Roughwear 1401 collar. It has the box stitch hanger loop. This is usually not seen on cheap repops, and I stress usually. Nice color knits. The knits and liner remind me off an Aero. The pockets look too long(could be the angle?) and corners too rounded for an Aero. Still a nice jacket.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Yes, the knits and lining do look like Aero to me. Could it be a restoration done my Aero? They don't usually put tags on there after changing the linings, unless of course, it is their own jacket.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Thanks for the leads...

Phantomfixer thanks for taking time to reply & compliment the jacket.
The collar shape is very flattering and slighlty "rounded". l like the Roughware contracts a lot, so that is a positive. Your comment on the inclusion of the box stitched "hanger" being somewhat rare in reproductions is useful information & much appreciated.

Justhandguns thank you for the Aero suggestion. After reading your post, I went over to the acmedepot.com. Yes there is indeed an example of an Aero pocket flap very similar to those on my jacket. Prior to that I had assumed that the biggest difference between my A-2 & the quality reproductions was the pocket flaps. I have always preffered the more intricate shaped flaps on many of the contracts. I had not realised Aero produced the shape of pocket flap on my A-2.

The information that Aero does not always include a label is very interesting. Is that only when a repair or alteration is made by Aero? Since most of the Aeros I've seen photographed show a label sown into the lining... I will investigate that more if I can find the information.

I am not quite sure if my jacket is high quality enough to be an Aero or not? Goat hide seems to have a different "feel" to horsehide which may add to the uncertainty in my mind. I think that the hide is probably goat, it is tough but quite thin and shows some pronounced grain. I could be wrong though, since I am a novice concerning leather generally (a deep subject).

The reddish lining is "cotton" like as opposed to synthetic "nylon". Perhaps the reddish/ orange colour is a clue to Aero. It is striking in apperance.

Having studied the photos of epulets at the acmedepot.com... I notice that the epaulet on my jacket has just one single row of stitching along the length, as opposed to the usual two on contracts.
I am wondering if this proves or disproves the Aero theory? I am unsure if Aero would have deviated from the more "standard"contract stitching. Perhaps the epaulet in this case is due to a different maker other than Aero.

Lastly I can't see any evidence of a throat hook having been present. However again I don't know if Aero always included one, but many other makers of civilain copies of the A-2 did not.

Thanks again for the replies. All information and thoughts are welcomed.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
NowOrNever, I am definitely no expert in recognising the different makes of A-2s.

I am looking at the pics again right now. It is unlikely that this jacket is manufactured by Aero. There are always tell tale signs, like the actual person's name sewed on the pocket flip, the characteristics of the knits etc. I am sure Aero always put their tags on, unless you specifically ask them not to. The waist and cuffs knits look a bit interesting as they are pretty 'long'. As for the cotton lining, it can be anything.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
NowOrNever, I am definitely no expert in recognising the different makes of A-2s.

I am looking at the pics again right now. It is unlikely that this jacket is manufactured by Aero. There are always tell tale signs, like the actual person's name sewed on the pocket flip, the characteristics of the knits etc. I am sure Aero always put their tags on, unless you specifically ask them not to. The waist and cuffs knits look a bit interesting as they are pretty 'long'. As for the cotton lining, it can be anything.

Great stuff! I think it unlikely this was made by Aero too. However without your input I'd have missed the Aero style pocket flap shape, as shown on the acmedepot.com site. I now assume that the photo shown at that site, is of an original jacket & not a later reproduction.

I think the red/ orange lining is less unique than I once thought. A few other makers including US Authentic, do have very similar coloured linings available. Sometimes it is difficult to truly gauge colour from online photographs for many reasons. Once again this is subjective, but it looks cool :p

I tend to think that my own jacket is a "reasonable" quality reproduction incorporating features found in various makers jackets, not exactly like any contract to my knowledge. Somewhat like a "house" model jacket, but still of unknown make!

All comments, theories & facts most welcome.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Hey NoN,

It's not an Aero, but I can't say who it might be from. Firstly, looking at the epaulets, the outer box stitch is way to long for any original A-2, it comes halfway up the shoulder. Plus Aeros tend to be very thin along their length. Also, the snap closure at the bottom of the wind flap did not exist on any original either. Nice looking jacket in all, but not from any of the big players in A-2 repos.

Brian

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Thanks for the observation.

Brian thanks for the eagle eyed comment on the epaulet. I think you are correct in ruling out the more accurate reproduction makers. It seems that was one detail that was not quite copied as per the originals.

The snap at the bottom of the windflap was a later addition, added during a repair of the zip, cuffs & waistband. I very much regret the inclusion of the snap now... I may even try and have that removed one day! Thanks.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There were many makers of civilian A2s in the 1940s. This is definitely not an issued A2. The elongated stitching on the epaulettes is characteristic of Cable Raincoat and Dubow, but it is unlikely to be made by them. The large ring snaps are associated with several makers, notably Aero and Poughkeepsie, but the jacket is not characteristic of them. It's a nice jacket with an unusual coloured lining.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
There were many makers of civilian A2s in the 1940s. This is definitely not an issued A2. The elongated stitching on the epaulettes is characteristic of Cable Raincoat and Dubow, but it is unlikely to be made by them. The large ring snaps are associated with several makers, notably Aero and Poughkeepsie, but the jacket is not characteristic of them. It's a nice jacket with an unusual coloured lining.

Andrew thanks for taking the time to view the photos and complimenting the jacket. It is good to know it is a nice example, given that you have seen and dealt with many jackets.

The expertise & comments you have shared have added to my knowledge. Particularly certain features which you describe in respect to original makers; despite my jacket not being original... but perhaps even from the 1940s!? I do enjoy the jacket, despite not wearing it often. Thanks again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran