Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Help) Looking for Entry Level A-2

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
G&B does make a quality jacket but I would size down at least two sizes to get anything approaching a trim fit. I bought one of their Mark 43 horsehide A-2s about four years ago and I could wear a puffy down jacket underneath it with room to spare!

tropicalbob

Seb, are the Cockpit USA jackets well thought of? People seem rather enamored with the FiveStar jackets, at least over on the other forum.
I just got a Cockpit Short Leather Peacoat from another FL member and absolutely love it. I haven't handled any of their other models, but this one, because of the style, is very slim and form-fitting. Very well made and comfortable.

achosid

New in Town
I wonder if the OP has settled on an entry level A2? Surprised no one suggested Gibson Barnes, their Air Force issue A2, the only without side entry pocket, would be hell of a lifetime jacket, it’s not modeled after balloon, & fit very beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still deciding. I'm not a slave to period-perfect reproduction, really you can't be at the entry level anyways. I'm looking at a FiveStar, and AVI, or a Dubow, for the moment, anyways. The WPG option seems an interesting one, too.

regius

Good to know, thorough research is definitely a good thing, hence do check out Gibson and Barnes, you won't be disappointed.

Brettafett

One Too Many
WPG for an A-2.... Please no. No offence.
Platon's Dubow, if it fits, is hands-down the best A-2 jacket buy on the planet. Not sure about getting any VAT back though.
Do check out Headwind. They have a number of A-2 offerings slated for 2020, a couple original maker and one budget. I am certain these will be great jackets. Worth an email.
I still grab my AVIs (A-2 circa 2019 and G-1 circa 2017/18) more often than any other jackets. Five Star's Doniger in goat looks interesting, but it has issues... Still, for the price you get a decent A-2 which is customisable. Swop out the knit with some from MASH Japan and you take it up a notch.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
And...if you're not set on russet and not set on new..., those vintage LLBean A2 goatskin jackets with the single panel in the back, which appear on eBay regularly, come in Long sizes and are a heck of a buy. You can pick up a great grab-and-go jacket that often looks good as new for a song.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Where does one stash a supply of Horsehide leather for 75 years?:rolleyes:

It seems unlikely doesn't it. US Wings are mostly made by Schott but Wings also out all of Cooper Sportswear and a production factory in New Jersey many years ago. If the story is true, maybe it was a roll tucked away in amongst their infrastructure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points