Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me buy a leather jacket!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Your first jacket is unlikely to be your last and it usually takes a few jackets before you master sizing and the look that works for you in leather jackets.

I have owned about 40 leather jackets. Including Aero and Johnson Leathers. For me Schott holds up really well in terms of quality and price. I bought a cafe racer 641XX for around $600. It is truly excellent. Premium hide, stitching and pattern. But Schott varies in quality depending on the model so I understand some don't like Schott.

If I were starting again I would first work out my measurements and then buy vintage. In a cafe racer the best I have seen is Brooks. They cost around $250. Can't beat that.

While I can afford it, I refuse to pay over $700 on a jacket. It takes the fun out of them for me. It's a knock about, working class item.

Work out what leather works for you. In my case I prefer goat over anything or a thinner steer, horse or cow hide. FQHH doesn't work for me- I don't like the stiffness or the heaviness. And here where it is warm anything 3oz or heavier is pointless - unless you ride a bike.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
is there any difference in appearance between steer and cow hide? or perhaps steer is harvested from much older bull while cowhide is harvested from younger cow since their tender meat is used for consumption?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
With all due respect to owners in this place, Schott have always struck me as kinda the training wheels of leather jackets. Y'know, it's off the rack, you don't need to spend several weeks worrying about what sort of stitching or lining etc. Unless you're having at least one dark night of the soul a week about the amount of money you've just splurged, you're just not trying.

is there any difference in appearance between steer and cow hide? or perhaps steer is harvested from much older bull while cowhide is harvested from younger cow since their tender meat is used for consumption?

Steer hide is from a castrated bull (when young) which is called a steer. A tough hide, but not as heavily grained as a fully intact mature bull's hide. Cow hide is often used as a generic term, but is also the name for the female as well.

AdeeC

Practically Family
With all due respect to owners in this place, Schott have always struck me as kinda the training wheels of leather jackets. Y'know, it's off the rack, you don't need to spend several weeks worrying about what sort of stitching or lining etc. Unless you're having at least one dark night of the soul a week about the amount of money you've just splurged, you're just not trying.
Schott makes nice solid jackets but material wise are built to a price far lower than what they charge. A lot of cost cutting in their jackets not reflected in their prices. I have owned a few. Their true vintage stuff is great.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thinking the black one.

Actually, what is the difference with the hides?

Don't bother with lamb skin if you want a sturdy jacket that will last you. Stick with steer,horse, or goat. All excellent leathers. Schott and Vanson are both great jackets in that price bracket. I would be checking out Johnson Leathers in San Fran if I lived in the US. Thurston Bros are great to look at. They stock both Vanson and Aero. They send you a fit jacket, and can give you really good advice regarding leather types and purpose. Diamond Dave has some great jackets with good pricing too. It's a big market, it's all out there waiting for you.Do some googling, you will learn plenty about the qualities of various leathers, pros and cons and will also give you some good ideas on different styles. Take your time, and enjoy it. Welcome aboard.

Gint

New in Town
Will do, I only have one with me wearing gym shorts with the jacket, and as nice as the jacket is, it doesn't go with gym shorts.

I thought I would chime in as a newbie that got the jacket bug through the Lounge. My first was a Schott A2 in naked cow off the Lounge. Great jacket, great leather and very well made but for my climate here in the NW a bit too heavy and I don't wear it that much. Picked up a Schott Café off the Bay for $100 gave it a good clean and it is a great knockabout jacket with no blemishes and nicely broken in. A near new Orchard A2 in goat followed and now my final piece is a Johnson horween horsehide 2.5oz picked up off the Lounge. The Johnson is a beautiful jacket in almost new condition and a great weight for about .35 on the dollar. I know I am a neophyte but I cannot tell much if any diff between the Johnson and the much more expensive ones viewed in the shops. Great leather and impeccable craftsmanship in the construction. The advice given above about knowing your size is invaluable. Knowing what fits for you opens up a world of gently used jackets here and on the Bay that will allow you to score a great jacket(s) and extend your budget. Have patience and have fun with the hunt.

Gint

New in Town
Here you go gents.

Attachments

• IMG_8178.JPG
    IMG_8178.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_8177.JPG
    IMG_8177.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_8176.JPG
    IMG_8176.JPG