Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose a hat - urban aussie?

dnjan

One Too Many
I would like some hat suggestions.

Background - I live and work (white-collar) in a city, and normally wear Trilby's. Even the "straw" I wore today is a Trilby shape by stetson. On "Occasion" I'll dress up and put on a Homburg or a Bowler, but that is about it.

The problem (and need for a new hat) - this summer I will be in a rural area (doing some cabinetry work for some friends), and I will need a hat for going into town. the town has kind of an "Olde West" theme, but I would not be comfortable in a western hat. On me, it would feel like a costume (and if I wanted to be in costume, I would put on a black vest and one of my Bowlers). I don't even wear large-brimmed hats (normally wear Trilby's - see above).

The question - what should I get? I am leaning towards one of Barmah's Squashy Roo hats as kind of a compromise. Kind of "urbanish", but seems like it would still work in a rural environment. Any other suggestions? (I don't want too much of a brim, and the Squashy Roo seems like it would about be my limit).

MattJH

One Too Many
After reading your criteria and looking at the Barmah Squishy Roo, I say with absolute unwavering confidence that you want the Akubra Traveller.

dnjan

One Too Many
Nice hat, but ~$45 more, and a wider brim than the 'Roo. (I was thinking that the 2-5/8 of the 'Roo was pushing it).

Still considering, however ...

MattJH

One Too Many
I don't know if my Traveller is defective or not, but it does not have a 3" brim. It has a dimensionally cut 2" sides, 2.25" front/back brim. To be fair, I got it off of eBay so the seller may have cut the brim? Here's a photo of me wearing it waiting for the Washington DC subway.

traveller1.jpg

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Achille

Familiar Face
Dumbjaw said:
To be fair, I got it off of eBay so the seller may have cut the brim? Here are two photos with me wearing it (first is the Washington DC subway, the second is the Philadelphia Zoo with my nephew):

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Hi Dumbjaw, I would like to know if the brim of your hat has been cut too. Because like this it is realy nice. Casual and elegant.

J.M

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, that is close to the brim size I am comfortable with. Nice looking hat.

The Akubra Traveller currently being sold at NogginTops is listed as having a 3-in. brim.

How is that hat in summer heat? (I'll be in a place that regularly hits 100 in the day, so I was thinking that a kangaroo leather hat might be cooler than felt and less prone to sweat staining.)

MattJH

One Too Many
dnjan said:
The Akubra Traveller currently being sold at NogginTops is listed as having a 3-in. brim.

I noticed. I don't know if I have a modified Traveller or if the website is wrong. Maybe one of the retailers here can clarify for us?

dnjan said:
How is that hat in summer heat? (I'll be in a place that regularly hits 100 in the day, so I was thinking that a kangaroo leather hat might be cooler than felt and less prone to sweat staining.)

I haven't worn it in anything above 80 degrees so far. The sweatband is a very slightly elastic fabric. If you're a heavy sweater, the fabric could probably become fully soaked and begin getting the felt wet, I suppose. I've also heard of people slipping paper behind the sweat to block this from happening. It does have eyelets on the sides for ventilation. I'd imagine it functions very well in the heat.

As far as 100 degree heat goes, I can't imagine kangaroo leather being very good in that at all. I could be wrong, I'm just thinking about it and I can't fathom that it would breathe.

Maybe a Tilley TM11 is a good choice? It's a shorter, dimensional brim with a mesh crown and a permanent teardrop top. In 100 degree weather, I'd get the lightest, most breathable hat I could possibly find. I definitely wouldn't wear felt or leather. Cotton or straw, if anything.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
It sounds like you've already made up your mind to get the leather hat, but I think it will be absolutely stifling in the heat.

I think when you're talking 100 degress, you have to get either a really light straw hat, or some kind of cotton "booney"/jungle hat.

If it has to be felt, I think Abubra's "Banjo Paterson" is a nice hat that can go from country to town quite easily. Taking the liner out can increase its usefulness in the heat.

Just my 2c.

(I see that dumbjaw just beat me to all the same recommendations! ;) )

dnjan

One Too Many
Joel Tunnah said:
It sounds like you've already made up your mind to get the leather hat, but I think it will be absolutely stifling in the heat.
Actually, I had made my mind up on the Squashy Roo, but then decided since I had no expeience with either the hat itself or hats in general when it is really hot (Seattle is rarely above 80F), I decided to take advantage of the collective experience of the 'Lounge.

So, as of now, I am back in the information gathering stage. When I finish this reply I will look at the Tilley TM11 and the Akubra Banjo Paterson.

Thanks for the advice, and for preventing me from making an error!

(added five minutes later than above post)
The Tilley TM11 looks like it will fit the bill. When they say "...the shape of the crown is maintained even after washing.", does that mean it could actually go through a wash cycle? (I've done baseball caps for my son on the top rack of a dishwasher with non-heated dry)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm from Washington (Go, COUGS!) and understand the area.

Why not pick up an Open Road, bash it as you please, and be happy? That will give you a nice compromise. Anywhere in the west, the original Cattleman's bash is in style - but you could modify it. That would be western yet dressy.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Joel Tunnah said:
I think when you're talking 100 degress, you have to get either a really light straw hat, or some kind of cotton "booney"/jungle hat.

Joel is right. In the heat, especially if you're active, anything felt or leather will be extremely hot.

Aaron

Mister_Ed

New in Town
dnjan said:
The Tilley TM11 looks like it will fit the bill. When they say "...the shape of the crown is maintained even after washing.", does that mean it could actually go through a wash cycle? (I've done baseball caps for my son on the top rack of a dishwasher with non-heated dry)

Yep, just throw it in the wash. I have a 4-yr-old Tilley T3 (all cotton duck) that's been through the wash several dozen times with no evidence of any wear. Just reshape it by hand, let it air dry and you're good to go.

MattJH

One Too Many
Mister_Ed said:
Yep, just throw it in the wash. I have a 4-yr-old Tilley T3 (all cotton duck) that's been through the wash several dozen times with no evidence of any wear. Just reshape it by hand, let it air dry and you're good to go.

Let's not forget the infamous Tilley story of the guy in Africa whose elephant kept eating his T3 right off of his head. He'd have to retrieve the T3 from the elephant's dung every time and then wash it thoroughly. It was never the worse for wear. Tilley asked if they could have the hat to display at their main location in Canada but he turned it down, preferring to keep his T3 (and, as Tilley puts it, "We liked that!").

MattJH

One Too Many
Oh, a word of advice -- my head is 24" in circumference, typically a 7 5/8. Tilley hats run small. I am a full two-sizes larger in Tilley hats, a 7 7/8.

Haversack

One Too Many
Another possibility, (and one which is very local to you), is to look at Filson's tin cloth Packer and their summer weight Packer hat. The brim is not too wide. They vent well. And they are near unto indestructable. I've been wearing one for gardening, camping, and flying for several years. Although its a working hat, it cleans up nicer for going into town than a Tilley.

http://www.filson.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2543740&clickid=Espot&ab=espot

Haversack.

thesquirrel

New in Town
Considering it seems that this hat will take some abuse and obviously hot weather, I suggest that you look at Bailey's Hollywood lineup of straw for this season. There is a variety of rather good looking lids that I believe would go rather well in both urban and rural settings. And due to their price, you probably wouldent feel too bad about mauling one on accident during a workday.

dnjan

One Too Many
for the sake of closure ...

I thought I would lt people know that I bought the Tilley TM-11 last spring.
Great hat! Worked well in the heat this summer, and as an added bonus, the hat cords kept it on my head when we visited the inlaws in June (gulf coast of Florida) and my father-in-law took us out on his boat.

Thanks for the great recommendation!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would second the Squatter. It is a great looking hat and with a wide enough brim to provide shade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick