Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me date my Mrs Beeton

miss_elise

Practically Family
NB: Bartenders, please move this somewhere else if i've put it in the wrong place. :)

ho lovely vintagers,

i recently (as in last night) discovered a copy of Mrs Beeton's All About Cookery in my parent's cupboard last night. It was given to my Nana one christmas, i believe not too long after my nana and grandad were married (early 40's). On the gift tag, she's been give firm instructions to "don't kill Perc (my grandfather) with the enclosed."

It is an olive green colour cover, with sort of inverse embossed stalks of wheat, which on a cursory inspection of google suggests 1920's. It also mentions the 'War', but the book still refers to household staff as if they were a regular addition to any household, further suggesting 20's. But this book has been printed and reprinted many times, so i was wondering if you here had any suggestions on dating.

so far it's making for fabulous reading, but i'd like to have a bit more of a feel for what time i'm going to.

24112008111.jpg

Cheers
Elise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner