Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me date this Borsalino fedora please?

kiakayak

New in Town
I hope I'm in the right place, and I hope I got the photos in here! Anyway, I'm pretty excited. I think this is the oldest fedora I've come across, and a Borsalino at that! There no lining, I don't know that there ever was one....the label reads: Borsalino Giuseppe & Fratello. The bottom of the label says Alessandria. The band reads Borsalino Grand Prix Paris 1900, and the other side reads A Klassens, then a street address in German, and then Leiden.

IMG_4829_zps2a42318c.jpg

IMG_4833_zps0a7684f2.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4830_zpsc6b1e661.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4831_zps0ed7dab7.jpg
[/IMG]

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'd say '60s on it. A shot of the outside would help.
Can't say I can recall seeing a Borsalino with that sweatband, though. The logo stamp is different than I'm used to seeing, too. Made under license by a different hat factory? The way that liner tip looks makes me think maybe German. MayserWegener, any thoughts?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
When did Borso move to reeded sweats? That will give you a starting point.

That seems to have depended more on the model and the export market than the time period. The unreeded ones with the corrugation at the front seem to have been more common, though.

A sampling of reeded Borso sweats from various periods:
IMG_7383.jpg

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

kiakayak

New in Town
I'd say '60s on it. A shot of the outside would help.
Can't say I can recall seeing a Borsalino with that sweatband, though. The logo stamp is different than I'm used to seeing, too. Made under license by a different hat factory? The way that liner tip looks makes me think maybe German. MayserWegener, any thoughts?

Thanks! I'm attaching another pic- it's the outside but not color accurate. The actual color I would describe as green olive. I was thinking way older though. I read that Giuseppe (one of the original brothers) actually died, and then the company morphed in to solely Borsalino. The label is what has got me thinking that it's very old. Here's an outside pic:
IMG_4834_zps08c6c3e3.jpg
[/IMG]

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I hope I'm in the right place, and I hope I got the photos in here! Anyway, I'm pretty excited. I think this is the oldest fedora I've come across, and a Borsalino at that! There no lining, I don't know that there ever was one....the label reads: Borsalino Giuseppe & Fratello. The bottom of the label says Alessandria. The band reads Borsalino Grand Prix Paris 1900, and the other side reads A Klassens, then a street address in German, and then Leiden.

Try looking for tips here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13133-The-BORSALINO-BROTHERHOOD

You'll find it's not that easy to accurately date vintage borsys.

It's not a German market Echter Borsalino. Leiden is in Holland. You see all kinds of different tip patch and liner logos (also sweatbands) with Euro market Borsalinos. I still think the paper label is the best way to some what (pre or post early 1950s) date Borsalinos. We had a discussion about a week ago where a contradiction was presented but my feeling was the hat in question was later than believed.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
If I had to give an answer I would agree with Besdor based on sweat and tip label, in the '53-'63 range for a likely 10 year choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy