Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decorate my new appartment!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Hi guys!
I just got my own appartment...:D
I want to give it a retro feel; which I am already acomplishing by mounting two old movie posters on the wall + having various stuff with 50's pin ups around the appartment.

I'd like my furniture, lamps etc to have a vintage feel too.
Preferably 40s and 50s.

I would aprreciate if you could post picture of some key furniture/lamp/decoration looks/designs (and just over all "looks") from the 40s and 50s. :)
I need suggestions for both my one room, the bathroom and my kitchenette.

Knock yourselves out, please.

warbird

One Too Many
Let me first ask this. Do you think people in the 40's put up movie posters as art on their walls? I don't know.

This isn't to suggest that doing so today couldn't give a room that 40's feeling, it's just a question. I had many great aunts and uncles and my grandparents who's stuff I have been through and I do not once recall seeing a movie poster as art from that era. That's just one persons experience from his family. I just thought I would ask anyway.

RIOT

Practically Family
First things first.. get or build or buy a TIKI BAR!

Once that has been accomplished, then you can start decorating around it. :rolleyes:

Viola

Call Me a Cab

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
warbird said:
Let me first ask this. Do you think people in the 40's put up movie posters as art on their walls? I don't know.

This isn't to suggest that doing so today couldn't give a room that 40's feeling, it's just a question. I had many great aunts and uncles and my grandparents who's stuff I have been through and I do not once recall seeing a movie poster as art from that era. That's just one persons experience from his family. I just thought I would ask anyway.
No. I don't think so.
My appartment isn't going to have a classic 40s or 50s look.. but more "tasteful 50s kitsch"... I'd just like to complement it with some 50s-looking furniture, like say a Diner-table. :)

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Viola said:
I really like Hollywood Regency style, which is bold and glamourous and in period for what you were talking about.... but I have no idea if its the kind of thing you like, Tinseltown. I mean, you could do '40s-'50s rustic or glam or a bunch of other things as well.

http://blog.designpublic.com/2007/04/03/hollywood-regency-101/ <---Some great pictures in this one.

http://insideavenue.blogspot.com/search/label/hollywood%20regency

What kind of mood or colors were you looking for?

-Viola
My walls are going to be white.
I like adding douce colors and gold in my surrounding decor etc... Like baby pink or lilac block candles, the greenish hue of my Marilyn poster, gold/brassy mirror and jewelery-hanger etc.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
warbird said:

Young people tacked up pictures of their favorite stars on their bedroom walls. They were in magazines or sent away to the studio for, if they didn't put them in a scrapbook. If the youngsters pasted them onto a roller shade then when they lowered the shade they could make "the stars come out at night."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic