Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me determine my size in the FW La Brea

Kenan

A-List Customer
Hi everyone,

With the upcoming drop on the FW La Brea jacket I really want to pin down my size so I know which size I’m going after. Been researching like a mad man to try and figure it out, but alas I need help. I live in Denmark so it’s kind of hard to find a place to try the jacket on…

So you lucky La Brea owners out there please help it will be greatly appreciated!

The size chart of the La Brea looks like this
C80D6BE9-86B2-4162-A585-ACCF30D0BB82.jpeg

And my measurements are:
Height: 180cm / 5 ft 10 in
Weight: 80kg / 176lb
Chest: 98.5cm / 38.8 in
Chest expanded: 101 / 39.8 in
Stomach: 94 cm / 37 in
Waist with jeans and belt: 95cm / 37.4 in

Usually I would look around 10 cm difference between the actual chest size and the pit to pit size x 2 on the jacket, so I have room for layering.

What do you guys think?

Thanks ind advance

//Kenan

Last edited:

born113

One of the Regulars
I don't know anything about this jacket, but I know a lot of people here can only understand inch measurements.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Here are some threads on sizing:

I remember seeing intel on a 40 here also but can't find it. Just google

Kenan

A-List Customer
Here are some threads on sizing:

I remember seeing intel on a 40 here also but can't find it. Just google
Thank you!

Kenan

A-List Customer
Easy 40, check Marc’s fit pic. @Marc mndt bro can you share your impeccable fit pic?
It was actually Marc’s fit pic that confuses me. I was thinking a size 40 would be near perfect on me. @Marc mndt and I are almost the same height size, but he has a 43 inch chest and mine is around 38.8 and since Marc can fit a size 40 like that I’m worried a size 40 would be a little big on me.

TheBigEraser

One of the Regulars
It was actually Marc’s fit pic that confuses me. I was thinking a size 40 would be near perfect on me. @Marc mndt and I are almost the same height size, but he has a 43 inch chest and mine is around 38.8 and since Marc can fit a size 40 like that I’m worried a size 40 would be a little big on me.
I wouldn’t worry about it, especially you mentioned that you need some space for layering. I have a naked chest of 107cm and size 40 on me is very tight, I can only fit a t shirt inside when zip on. A friend of mine is 182cm, 75 kg with 98cm chest. Here is his fit with size 40:
310FB0C0-FC8B-4F68-B44E-C2D96AB64C5D.jpeg
3A31C27D-2A91-4025-9CCE-0EB8A86947E1.jpeg

Size 38:
87D9857A-AA8D-4EC9-B83E-6C91F9119EE2.jpeg

According to him he can still zip on size 38, but of course it is tighter than 40. He ends up taking size 40. I think both 38 and 40 will work for you, as the length difference between 38 and 40 does not take a leap as from 40 to 42. All in all, in terms of versatility of layering, I would recommend 40!

Hope the info above helps!

Kenan

A-List Customer
I wouldn’t worry about it, especially you mentioned that you need some space for layering. I have a naked chest of 107cm and size 40 on me is very tight, I can only fit a t shirt inside when zip on. A friend of mine is 182cm, 75 kg with 98cm chest. Here is his fit with size 40:
View attachment 402442 View attachment 402444

Size 38:
View attachment 402445

According to him he can still zip on size 38, but of course it is tighter than 40. He ends up taking size 40. I think both 38 and 40 will work for you, as the length difference between 38 and 40 does not take a leap as from 40 to 42. All in all, in terms of versatility of layering, I would recommend 40!

Hope the info above helps!
This was exactly the info I needed thank you so much! I was thinking the same thing in terms of sizing. I have bought jackets before where they fit so tight that I could only wear a t-shirt underneath. I ended up putting those up for sale. To me the 40 on on him looks exactly like I would want it to fit!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm 180
79 kg
109 cm chest

This is what 40 looks like on me

View attachment 402418

@dudewuttheheck which size did you get?
I got a 38 and it fits extremely well imo. I have a larger than 40" chest, but it still fits well. Its somethere between 41 and 42.5 i dont know how to measure it properly, but its definitely bigger thsn 40. What I will say is the measurements are deceptive. For example, my Bodie has a larger chest measurement in size 38, but my La Brea actually feels just as, if not more roomy in the chest... and the Bodie had gussets in the back and the La Brea doesn't. It has more room than the measurements tell you.

Sorry I can't post photos. I don't have my real computer right now and my phone won't upload pics to imgur properly.

Kenan

A-List Customer
I got a 38 and it fits extremely well imo. I have a larger than 40" chest, but it still fits well. Its somethere between 41 and 42.5 i dont know how to measure it properly, but its definitely bigger thsn 40. What I will say is the measurements are deceptive. For example, my Bodie has a larger chest measurement in size 38, but my La Brea actually feels just as, if not more roomy in the chest... and the Bodie had gussets in the back and the La Brea doesn't. It has more room than the measurements tell you.

Sorry I can't post photos. I don't have my real computer right now and my phone won't upload pics to imgur properly.
How tall are you and what is your weight at if you don’t mind me asking?

Speedway Sendai has this as a size guide:
6ECC815F-BF30-447C-829D-716D10160F28.jpeg

Obviously they misplaced the “cm” and “kg”, but a staff member at 168cm/5ft6in weighing 60kg/132lbs chose a size 38. Judging from that I would be more similar in size to the staff member who chose size 40.

@dudewuttheheck how many layers can you fit underneath 38?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
How tall are you and what is your weight at if you don’t mind me asking?

Speedway Sendai has this as a size guide:
View attachment 402555
Obviously they misplaced the “cm” and “kg”, but a staff member at 168cm/5ft6in weighing 60kg/132lbs chose a size 38. Judging from that I would be more similar in size to the staff member who chose size 40.

@dudewuttheheck how many layers can you fit underneath 38?
I'm 5'7" and 170lb. 41-42" chest and 30.5" waist. My weight does not match up with the traditional Japanese sizing advice at all. I'd need a 42 or 44 by their advice.

I can fit a thick flannel under the 38 just fine and could probably layer a bit more under that if I needed.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think you are going to struggle with that pattern.
The LaBrea is very V shaped, very wide shoulders and pits and narrow waist.
I have 9" drop and it fits me perfectly, with a 1" drop i doubt you are going to be able to zip it up if you get a size that fits your chest. If you get a size that fits yoru waist it is going to be huge in the shoulders.

With your measurements i would not recommend buying one without trying it on first, it sounds like too much of a risk.

Last edited:

Kenan

A-List Customer
I think you are going to struggle with that pattern.
The LaBrea is very V shaped, very wide shoulders and pits and narrow waist.
I have 9" drop and it fits me perfectly, with a 1" drop i doubt you are going to be able to zip it up if you get a size that fits your chest. If you get a size that fits yoru waist it is going to be huge in the shoulders.

With your measurements i would not recommend buying one without trying it on first, it sounds like to much of a risk.
Going by the size chart, pictures and information I have gotten since posting this Thread, it would seem like a size 40 would work well for me. The only thing I’m a little worried about is the wide shoulder measurement. I mean I wear a size 30-31 in most jeans and other pants so I don’t have a very big waist.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Going by the size chart, pictures and information I have gotten since posting this Thread, it would seem like a size 40 would work well for me. The only thing I’m a little worried about is the wide shoulder measurement. I mean I wear a size 30-31 in most jeans and other pants so I don’t have a very big waist.

How do you wear size 30-31 jeans with a 37" waist?
Your measurements are confusing...

Kenan

A-List Customer
I mean the waist measurement is on top of jeans with a heavy belt and big belt buckle. The other measurement is taken on the stomach across the navel. If that makes more sense. I could have measured a little wrong, but I’m definitely not fat lol. Here is a picture of how a size 31 in LVC 1955 fits me. The jacket is a size 40 schott 603 Cafecto.
264CD28D-FCE0-4E90-9B80-3E768B180160.jpeg

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's the same with me.
I have 90 cm where I wear the belt (rather hip instead of waist) and have size 31 with slimfit jeans. I think that's because manufacturers specify smaller sizes so people don't feel so fat. lol
I also have an older pair of jeans in slimfit 34 that are only minimally wider at the waist than my 31.

Kuro

Practically Family
The wide shoulders are a product of the vintage jacket design. This jacket was produced before action backs, therefore the wide shoulders were necessary to provide room for movement and operating motorcycles etc. We focus so much on a fashion fit that for some, the look and measurements of a vintage piece is dismissed as poor. Whereas the opposite is the truth, function is the reason for the form.

Also, as for your size requests. My 2 cents is to measure things you wear comfortably. Shirts, jackets etc. Get an idea of sizes that you wear and enjoy, compare those measurements, understand your range tolerances. THEN look at the measurements of the jackets, and find a dealer who will show you photos of a jacket in stock measured the same way you measure for comparison. This way you know 100% what you are buying.

Kenan

A-List Customer
The wide shoulders are a product of the vintage jacket design. This jacket was produced before action backs, therefore the wide shoulders were necessary to provide room for movement and operating motorcycles etc. We focus so much on a fashion fit that for some, the look and measurements of a vintage piece is dismissed as poor. Whereas the opposite is the truth, function is the reason for the form.

Also, as for your size requests. My 2 cents is to measure things you wear comfortably. Shirts, jackets etc. Get an idea of sizes that you wear and enjoy, compare those measurements, understand your range tolerances. THEN look at the measurements of the jackets, and find a dealer who will show you photos of a jacket in stock measured the same way you measure for comparison. This way you know 100% what you are buying.
Thank you for this!! Great info and advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21