Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me ID, date & value-check this army belt, please

Bought this Sam Browne-looking belt locally recently, the listing was so bad I could hardly tell what it was so I just thought I'd install it on a leather jacket but now that it arrived, it seems to me it's really old - There's a year on it, 1915 if I'm reading this correctly - and now I wonder if it might be better to sell it.
So, if anyone can help me out with identifying it and of course, any idea on the value would be more than welcome.

Thanks.

20230727-192424.jpg

20230727-192433.jpg

20230727-192439.jpg

20230727-192552.jpg

20230727-192604.jpg

20230727-192619.jpg

20230727-193933.jpg

20230727-193942.jpg

20230727-191952.jpg

20230727-191956.jpg

20230727-192006.jpg

20230727-192037.jpg

20230727-192102.jpg

20230727-192127.jpg

20230727-192133.jpg

20230727-192142.jpg

20230727-192148.jpg

20230727-192209.jpg

20230727-192255.jpg

20230727-192340.jpg

AHP91

Practically Family
I’ve no idea for you, but that is a sweet piece of history. Original box. I imagine there’s a good market for it if you have no use for it

Edward

Bartender
Certainly looks like 1914. Right colour for Brirish Army issue at thst point, though they were used by many forces. The leather case is quite special, never seen one of those before. To my untrained eye, that stamp looks civilian rather than issue. SBs were worn by officers, so could have been a PP affair.

Certainly looks like 1914. Right colour for Brirish Army issue at thst point, though they were used by many forces. The leather case is quite special, never seen one of those before. To my untrained eye, that stamp looks civilian rather than issue. SBs were worn by officers, so could have been a PP affair.

I'm not sure if it even belongs to be belt but it's a great way to keep it safe plus I can tell that the case is also super old. I think you're right when you say it's an original WW1 belt. I've been comparing it to some of the other belts on eBay and none is a match except for those that indeed are from 1915's or so.
I wish it'd fit me, though...

Edward

Bartender
I'm not sure if it even belongs to be belt but it's a great way to keep it safe plus I can tell that the case is also super old. I think you're right when you say it's an original WW1 belt. I've been comparing it to some of the other belts on eBay and none is a match except for those that indeed are from 1915's or so.
I wish it'd fit me, though...

Yeah, stuff that turns up from that era is so often not big enough for a modern adult. Aside from better nutrition (or, on the other side of the coin, more processed foods) these days, you also have to remember how many of those who ended up in the trenches, even if they weren't lying about their age, were essentially still children.

Yeah, stuff that turns up from that era is so often not big enough for a modern adult. Aside from better nutrition (or, on the other side of the coin, more processed foods) these days, you also have to remember how many of those who ended up in the trenches, even if they weren't lying about their age, were essentially still children.

All true but in addition to that, the main issue, so to call it, is that these belts are worn at the actual waist line instead of today's jeans belt line which is what makes it useless to me. It does fit me perfectly at the waist but that'd only make sense if I was into reenactments or something.

It's so weird how beautiful the whole thing is made compared to today when you'd think better workmanship would be easier. Not to mention that beautiful chestnut coloured leather.

Edward

Bartender
All true but in addition to that, the main issue, so to call it, is that these belts are worn at the actual waist line instead of today's jeans belt line which is what makes it useless to me. It does fit me perfectly at the waist but that'd only make sense if I was into reenactments or something.

It's so weird how beautiful the whole thing is made compared to today when you'd think better workmanship would be easier. Not to mention that beautiful chestnut coloured leather.

Combination of factors, I think - so many folks these days want something cheap, putting price over quality [at least those who have the luxury to be able to afford that being a choice]. Disposable fashion favours durability being much less important. And it's a vicious circle - with less demand comes higher prices per unit.... Shame, though. I do wonder if eventually we'll all be forced to rethink owing to environmental changes beyond our control.

Combination of factors, I think - so many folks these days want something cheap, putting price over quality [at least those who have the luxury to be able to afford that being a choice]. Disposable fashion favours durability being much less important. And it's a vicious circle - with less demand comes higher prices per unit.... Shame, though. I do wonder if eventually we'll all be forced to rethink owing to environmental changes beyond our control.

I don't mean just fast fashion but even the so called artisan stuff that's supposed to be an alternative to cheap junk. Like those belts with crystals that sell for stupid prices on those corny web-sites like Son of Stag, Self Edge and such - You've got basic leather straps with five stitches & a buckle from Etsy selling for anything north of $300 that make this utilitarian thing from WW1 a work of pure art. Even the leather is light-years ahead.

I just find it strange, is all...

Edward

Bartender
I don't mean just fast fashion but even the so called artisan stuff that's supposed to be an alternative to cheap junk. Like those belts with crystals that sell for stupid prices on those corny web-sites like Son of Stag, Self Edge and such - You've got basic leather straps with five stitches & a buckle from Etsy selling for anything north of $300 that make this utilitarian thing from WW1 a work of pure art. Even the leather is light-years ahead.

I just find it strange, is all...

Eh, well - that's the other end of the scale, isn't it? "Market perception". Gibson guitars pulled that trick back a couple of decades ago when Les Pauls were deeply unfashionable. Doubled the price, changed nothing else, then marketed them as a luxury lifestyle product. I expect a jewel belt to cost more because labour - but anything much over £150 starts to get crazy. Even Lewis' own turn (where you're undoubtedly paying a bit of a premium for the brand) at £225ish is way beyond my comfort zone. Most of these lifestyle stores now, though, are selling exclusivity as much as they are clothes, and the pricing emphasises that. It's oysters all over again.

Most of these lifestyle stores now, though, are selling exclusivity as much as they are clothes, and the pricing emphasises that. It's oysters all over again.

Yeah, lifestyle stores. You've said that right. Not belonging with the rubble is what's being paid for there. . . But that's kind of what we do with vintage stuff, as well.

Either way, I wish that belt would fit me as it's super cool! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner