Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me identify my vintage leather coat, please

Jason61

New in Town
I just acquired a very old leather coat. I was told that it was an aviators coat (not jacket); it is dark brown leather extremely thick and heavy (possibly horse?). It is 3/4 length, double breasted, belted, two flap pockets and two 'hand' pockets, no interior pocket. All leather, including the underside of the collar and the back of the belt, is lined with a very coarse wool. It has a lot of sparse, utilitarian military characteristics, although I recently found and then lost a web site indicating that a British company made this as both an aviators coat and a driving coat, beginning in the 1920's.

Can anyone help or steer me in the right direction to figure out its age and origin? The UK origin seems correct, since the friend who gave it to me bought it years ago from a guy making replacement leather hood straps for my friend's '57 MG T. The only thing I can add is that it is so heavy that I can't wear it in weather above 32 F because it's too warm.

Thanks,

Jason

Peacoat

Bartender
It would be helpful if you would post some pictures of the coat. Please include closeups of the zipper. Someone here ought to be able to give it a go.

Jason61

New in Town
I'll try to post a photo soon

I had intended to include a photo, but the batteries in my camera are dead. There is no zipper on the coat, it's double-breasted with plain four-hole buttons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace